House Price Crash Forum

The Garage Has Just Broken My Car During The Mot.

HOLA441

I have been driving my car 300 miles per week, and 30 miles on the motorway on the way in this morning. I have had absolutely no issues with it at all, I service it myself so I know what is what - zero leakage from anywhere everything nice and tight.

It was booked in for an MOT at 11am, then 12:50 the garage have just called me to tell me that the car is overheating!!! :angry: Apparently the thermostat housing has 'broken off'.

The deny that they have caused the damage and it's £50 to repair it including new coolant. The worst part is that I cannot get home or to work until they have repaired it.

What rights do I have? I am going around there in an hour -- Pretty pissed off with them at the moment so there might be some shouting!

HOLA442

I have been driving my car 300 miles per week, and 30 miles on the motorway on the way in this morning. I have had absolutely no issues with it at all, I service it myself so I know what is what - zero leakage from anywhere everything nice and tight.

It was booked in for an MOT at 11am, then 12:50 the garage have just called me to tell me that the car is overheating!!! :angry: Apparently the thermostat housing has 'broken off'.

The deny that they have caused the damage and it's £50 to repair it including new coolant. The worst part is that I cannot get home or to work until they have repaired it.

What rights do I have? I am going around there in an hour -- Pretty pissed off with them at the moment so there might be some shouting!

If you photographed every single moving part before you gave it to them in front of witnesses you'll be OK.

I reckon you'll probably have to settle for some shouting. If you plan to go back there, careful of that even...

Bad luck - garages are b*stards.

HOLA443

On balance I'm not sure that the garage would deliberately break something to get at most an hour's worth of work for very little profit and possibly loss of reputation.

On the other hand I don't know where the thermostat housing is in your engine bay but I'm not sure why they needed to go near it.

The breakage could just be coincidence; it was going to break anyway. Perhaps you can ask them to show you.

Personally I'd pay up and I'd probably let it go as it's "only £50", if it were more than that, I'd get a second opinion later on.

HOLA444
HOLA445

If the thermostat housing is broken off to the point it is pi$$ing out coolant then ask them how they thought you drove it there. If it is a full on leak the motor would not be bale to be driven more than a few hundred yards and a much shorter distance when the engine is warmed up.

Trouble is they have you by the knackers, clearly the car is un-drivable they will sit on it whilst the arguments are sorted out. Therefore.

Pay and bite your lip..never use them again.. Or

If you have access to another motor tell them the damage is their responsibility and you insist that they repair it but be prepared for a long wait. For a £50 repair I can't see them pushing the issue to court, it would cost them more than that to do so.

The short game is theirs, but you own the long game.

Many years ago back in the days of poor workmanship on British Cars I had an old ford consul. The sill had started to go so I stuffed some newspaper in it and used some filler on it painted, job done. A couple of years later the same sill started ot rust again. Took it in for MOT and the chap said it would need a new sill and it would have to be welded on. Gave me a price and told me it would be a failure unless it was done so I reluctantly agreed.

Later that afternoon I got a phone call asking me to come down to the garage. I arrived and saw 2 fire engines damping down the roof of the workshop and what was left of my motor.

Apparently they had welded the sill on and gone to lunch, next thing was the funny smell. I never let on as to the real cause and the FB did not really do an in depth investigation as the damage (1 car a workshop and part of a roof never merited it).

Was a pain as I was without a car for a Month whilst they sorted the insurance out but I got a much better car off the back of it.....

HOLA446

Isn't that usually a metal part bolted onto the engine, very odd for it to "fall off". What sort of car is it?

In their defence I dont' think this is the kind of thing that could happen accidentally unless the component was already at the point of failure.

Maybe worth a visual inspection before they carry out the work?

HOLA447

Well I have calmed down a bit. The thermostat housing is at the back of the engine.

1342784842-24580-13.jpg

I'm going to pay up, I guess.

Bit of a coincidence that it snaps of during the MOT and not whilst I am doing my 30 mile commute or sat in traffic.

The thing that pisses me off the most is not being able to drive home. The public transport in Bristol is piss poor, it would be quicker hiking!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

If the thermostat housing is broken off to the point it is pi$$ing out coolant then ask them how they thought you drove it there. If it is a full on leak the motor would not be bale to be driven more than a few hundred yards and a much shorter distance when the engine is warmed up.

Trouble is they have you by the knackers, clearly the car is un-drivable they will sit on it whilst the arguments are sorted out. Therefore.

Pay and bite your lip..never use them again.. Or

If you have access to another motor tell them the damage is their responsibility and you insist that they repair it but be prepared for a long wait. For a £50 repair I can't see them pushing the issue to court, it would cost them more than that to do so.

The short game is theirs, but you own the long game.

Many years ago back in the days of poor workmanship on British Cars I had an old ford consul. The sill had started to go so I stuffed some newspaper in it and used some filler on it painted, job done. A couple of years later the same sill started ot rust again. Took it in for MOT and the chap said it would need a new sill and it would have to be welded on. Gave me a price and told me it would be a failure unless it was done so I reluctantly agreed.

Later that afternoon I got a phone call asking me to come down to the garage. I arrived and saw 2 fire engines damping down the roof of the workshop and what was left of my motor.

Apparently they had welded the sill on and gone to lunch, next thing was the funny smell. I never let on as to the real cause and the FB did not really do an in depth investigation as the damage (1 car a workshop and part of a roof never merited it).

Was a pain as I was without a car for a Month whilst they sorted the insurance out but I got a much better car off the back of it.....

the garage probably got a better workshop too!

HOLA4411

the garage probably got a better workshop too!

Maybe a fair trade off for a higher insurance premium.....

Thermostat housing will have a rubber hose on one end leading to/from radiator.

OP has mentioned MOT so there is not need to go near the engine with a spanner/box set but if was a service also, as an aluminium cast piece it is reasonable east to break with a slipped spanner maybe taking a plug out.

HOLA4412

Pay up or they will find something wrong that costs £100.

You should never go looking as affluent as you did this morning. Next year at a different garage dress more scruffily and suggest you are out of work when you drop it off. It's my MOT on Monday and I have just got my gardening jeans out.

HOLA4413

Ask to see the part.

If it is a small fracture with a lot of dirt in it then I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

If it is a clean split and the metal surfaces are still shiny and clean I would point out that it is quite obviously recent damage plus couldn't possibly have been driven in that condition when you arrived.

In the latter case I would give them the choice of replace it with no hard feelings, or alternatively you will pay the £50 quid and it'll be the last time you or anyone you know ever goes there.

I don't really do shouting, but you can season the above with choice expletives at your discretion :)

HOLA4414

And if they cannot produce the failed part and/or it's a clean break, report them to trading standards and on every local paper/car geek forum you can think of.

Edit: I find it really hard to believe that the thermostat cover would actually break. If it was badly machined to start with, I can believe that thermal stress cycling and rust might cause a hairline failure around the screw holes, but a crack big enough to cause an overheat within minutes, especially if you check the level in the expansion tank regularly? Sorry, but I smell a rat.

HOLA4415

Pay up or they will find something wrong that costs £100.

You should never go looking as affluent as you did this morning. Next year at a different garage dress more scruffily and suggest you are out of work when you drop it off. It's my MOT on Monday and I have just got my gardening jeans out.

Do you think what you pay for the MOT makes any different.....it can vary quite a bit, I have found paying the higher price can sometimes be advantageous.......each year the car has a few extra dents and scratches, old car but very well cared for inside, appearances can be deceptive....thinking about it why buy something nice to have it become dented, when what does it matter when adding a few more character dents to the existing one.....other drivers do tend to keep a safer distance..win,win. ;)

HOLA4416

If you photographed every single moving part before you gave it to them in front of witnesses you'll be OK.

I reckon you'll probably have to settle for some shouting. If you plan to go back there, careful of that even...

Bad luck - garages are b*stards.

If you find a good one, you stick with them! I have a couple of good local ones. No cheaper than anywhere else, but I don't think they will do unnecessary work! :blink:

HOLA4417

its doubtful if the thermostat housing was broken during the MOT. When did you last lift the bonnet ?

Actually I've met people that didn't know it opened! :o

HOLA4418

If you maintain the car yourself its a no brainier to use a council run 'no repairs' mot centre, yes something may still break on the MOT as they do give it some stick on the rollers for the brake test etc. but you know they won't break it to get a repair.

If you really don't want to give them the work then you'd need to get it recovered to your house (try shiply I think its called) and fix it, or fix it on the road outside the garage :)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I think I would have pushed it out on to the road and called the AA.

Always worth littering a few empty parts boxes on the passenger seat prior to an MOT to imply no work coming their way if it fails.

Need to take care at the moment as a lot of independent garages and 2nd hand car sales type places are really struggling.

HOLA4421

If you maintain the car yourself its a no brainier to use a council run 'no repairs' mot centre, yes something may still break on the MOT as they do give it some stick on the rollers for the brake test etc. but you know they won't break it to get a repair.

If you really don't want to give them the work then you'd need to get it recovered to your house (try shiply I think its called) and fix it, or fix it on the road outside the garage :)

Agreed regarding council MOT places, you'll pay the statutory maximum fee for the test but in my experience it is well worth it.

I just wouldn't take my car to a garage for an MOT these days.

HOLA4422

Is it a diesel?

IIRC there is some worry about the MOT test running diesel engines at way beyond their normal usage range, causing some to break bits?

indeed, there is a warning on the wall at the local quick garage ( Citroen)

maybe the car techs can enlighten?

HOLA4423

IIRC there is some worry about the MOT test running diesel engines at way beyond their normal usage range, causing some to break bits?

Yup. Diesel emissions testing requires the tester to floor it, and run the engine at the rev limiter for a bit.

While a new and well maintained engine can tolerate this stress, on an old engine which is a bit worn, the stresses of running at the limit, can cause bits to explode or bearings to seize up.

HOLA4424

Yup. Diesel emissions testing requires the tester to floor it, and run the engine at the rev limiter for a bit.

While a new and well maintained engine can tolerate this stress, on an old engine which is a bit worn, the stresses of running at the limit, can cause bits to explode or bearings to seize up.

Im having a new engine tomorrow...Toyota warranty...due to high oil use...bought it at 53K last year after my accident.

HOLA4425

Archived