House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Work Query And Opinion

I do contract work and now I am at a rather large financial institution you will all know.

Anyway - boss is also a contractor. Been there for 3 weeks, all going fine.Then got a call about workload and time sheet.

Turns out aside from my standard day time sheet - she wants me to do one showing exact hours each day - including time in and out of lunch ffs !! This shows if I am under or over 'utilised' apparently.

Now she has done this for all places people have worked under her apparently. Its nothing to do with the end client who is actually paying for my services.

She says this is to ensure that no members of the team are doing too much or too little work. Tells me that another member of the team is working 50-60 hours per week and we may have to look into me taking over some of their work.

Based on what work we do and what's involved - I don't think I am somehow sitting doing very little and the other person is run off their feet. Our work looks very fairly balanced.

Now she wants to use these daily time sheets to compare our workloads. However the other person works from home !! For the record my boss also works from home.

You really cannot compare that like for like imo. Working from home is very different from working in an office. 10,hours working from home would probably involve a bit of TV, making dinner, out for a bit if shopping etc ..

Not that there is anything wrong with that - I just don't think you can fairly compare like for like on an hourly basis.

Also I have about 6 hours travel time per week that they don't have. Nowhere on this time sheet to include this of course !!

Anyway I don't have anything against the other person - they are decent. I just think their 10-12 hours a day ' working' would be a very different number if they worked in an office.

Anyway over to the masses for your opinion and plans of action please !!

PS - I doubt filling in a timesheet where I have to say when I went for lunch would have a positive effect on my IR35 status !!

Thanks in advance.

Thought that may be the response. Get paid stupid money though and everything else is going well. Think she won't be around for more than maybe another 3 months too.

Just wondering how I should approach telling her its not really a fair kop.

Why don't you ask to work from home too?

Surely she can't deny it to you if she does it an your team mate does it too?

You need to be meticulous about logging the actual work you do.

Pages read, notes made, pages written up.

Every aspect of your work - you need to time log it. Will only be tedious at start creating your spread sheet to fill in.

Then be precise to the minute about it all.

They can claim 50 hours a week but if they're only actually doing what you do in the office in 30 then they're taking the piss.

you logging your office hours might be the company looking at reducing the hours of office workers.

They are based down south but I am up here with the team we are supporting - and it was said when starting I would be mainly office based with the odd home day not a big deal. So its not really that part of it that's a big deal. Its the way she doesn't seem to understand you can't just simply compare the two in hourly terms that's my issue.

Sarah its only basic hours she wants. So logging exactly what and when I do it is not really going to help - as there will be nobody else to compare it too ! I also don't want to spend even more time on logging minute pointless details of things when there is no need. Also this has nothing to do with the company - nobody else does it. Its just ' her thing'

Swissy - yes its a bit if a joke. The amount they are paying me really does making me log how long I take for my lunch - a total joke.

I think Sarah has a good point, you should ask your boss to get detailed timesheets with exact activities done by your other colleague too (and do it yourself for a while) so your boss can actually see whether your colleague is doing as much work as you or whether he's just pretending to work 12 hours (while actually working 3-4 hours).

Ask to see the other's timesheets and compare?

Well I could but that just seems to be going down the same ' he does that she does that' route - which is what I am annoyed about ! I don't really want to go down their route. Its frankly a bit childish IMO.

Eagle similar for your point. I know the other person does work hard and I get on well with her - so don't really want to be questioning her work. I know she isnt too happy having to fill in this shit either. You see where I am coming from ?

7 year - I get a day rate - which makes the hour by hour thing pointless in terms of my pay and the end client etc.

Asked a few other people and they seem to think she is a bit of a control freak ?

Asked a few other people and they seem to think she is a bit of a control freak ?

As long as you are not the one in charge of the lawnmower/murder weapon?

A good manager shouldn't need some form to work out who's pulling their weight.

+1

The number of hours a person spends sitting at a desk is a pretty poor way of measuring the value of their work.

Look for another job. I have worked and managed in timesheet and non timesheet jobs and all timesheets do is chew up more time that should be spent on working. Only poor managers need them to understand who is not pulling their weight.

I'd suggest you go in fast and say something like "I have worked under timesheet regimes before and found that they never reflect the efficient worker. I will be looking for another role where I will be recognised for the quality of my output."

see what she says.

Look for another job.

You missed this bit: "Get paid stupid money though".

I guess ccc doesn't want to give up such a well paid job so quickly as he's in Edinburgh, not London, so there probably aren't many other well paid jobs around for him.

Just say that you'll do a time sheet no problem. Then just don't do it. When she asks where it is just tell her you were too busy. Repeat each and every week.

Tell her to go ****** herself.

My view on this seems to run contrary to everyone else's. So I read the OP a few times to make sure I was reading it right.

I'm self employed and work from home but two contracts I have are for fixed monthly rates for a set number of hours and I put start and finish times for each task (not actually into a timesheet but into a ticketing/tracking system which then produces said timesheet). I don't put in how long it took, it works that out. I just put the start and end for each thing, even for separate phone calls (the basis for my billing is my time). I do this "as I go", not later on.

It is sometimes a surprise to clients to find that 4 hours vanished one week in phone calls. "What were they for?" "Here, have a look". "Oh, yes, we remember now".

I can't see what the problem is.

Nor can I see why it can't compare with someone working from home.

Just say that you'll do a time sheet no problem. Then just don't do it. When she asks where it is just tell her you were too busy. Repeat each and every week.

Tell her to go ****** herself.

Genius !!

Dt mark - my contract is based on a working day - not hours. So yes if it was based on hours worked and task orientated then that would be fine. However it isn't. Its project work - your time fluctuates wildly depending on a number of things. That's the nature of the beast.

Plus as I said - it has nothing to do with the role or the end client. And for the record this person is a contractor too. Which IMO makes it even more of a piss take.

As for the working from home comparison -,for 99% of people it is not s straight comparison. How many people working in an office do their work around taking their dog for a walk, or doing a bit of ironing, catching the news on TV for 15 mins etc ? Because I know nearly everyone that works from home does. Again - no issue with that - I just don't think you can plug both into some simple timesheet to tell you that person x is ' working' more than person y.

Agree with those who say its a piss poor managent method.

Also as others have pointed out itbid very good money so its not the end of the world. Its just one thing I being asked to do that is completely pointless IMO.

I think I will explain this to her in a polite fashion - and just make sure every week it states that I am ' over utilised' . If she tries to give me more work then I will just push back - based on her own numbets . I am also going to include my travel time on it to make it a bit fairer of a comparison.

Think its only going to be for a few months anyway as she is handing over to a permanent member if staff to take over on the long term anyway.

Cheers for the advice all - keep it coming !

You really cannot compare that like for like imo. Working from home is very different from working in an office. 10,hours working from home would probably involve a bit of TV, making dinner, out for a bit if shopping etc ..

TBH I think I disagree with you there.

If you're claiming for hours you don't actually work at home then that's wrong.

And it's why most people can't work at home for their jobs.

I've been asked to do these aswell, its a pita but you do get used to it and often only last for a few months, make sure you add atleast 30 minutes a week for "filling in timesheet"

Agree with those who say its a piss poor managent method.

One of the worst.

I think I will explain this to her in a polite fashion - and just make sure every week it states that I am ' over utilised' . If she tries to give me more work then I will just push back - based on her own numbets .

Good idea. Why can't they see that this sort of management style destroys productivity? All that happens is that everyone stops focussing on working and devotes themselves full-time to ensuring that they are giving the appearance of working flat-out. Nobody will ever admit to having a bit of spare time and:

- will spin out meetings as long as possible by asking pointless questions and making useless contributions

- call unecessary meetings and do the above

- involve unecessary people in a task to further increase complexity and cause more meetings

- take longer than necessary over each task.

- document endlessly under the guise of being thorough

- question each and every task given to them, again under the guise of being thorough. This can generate lots more meetings with project managers and users.

- stop being proactive. Why fix a problem before it occurs. Let it happen and then fix it. By then it will hopefully will have caused more errors and entail spending so much more time on it.

- deliberately write bad code etc that will require more maintainance later.

You get the picture, why don't managers?

Do you get the impression I have worked for some bad managers?

Oh I forgot one - browse the Internet all day. And have lots of tea breaks.

I've logged 8mins and 13 seconds for reading this thread.

I've put it under the 'Sanity Time' criteria.

serious edit - agree with all them points the gardener said.