House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Just Eat Ipo

or as some wag pointed out, a bloke with a server hooked up to some kebab shops.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/apr/03/just-eat-shares-rise-flotation

100x earnings valued at £ 1.5bn. I am not sure how the business works. Some kind of fee for directing punters to local takeaways maybe? Ok maybe that is unfair. 100 times earnings :)

Seen a rash of these ipo's. Last time the financial system imploded shortly after.

I'm surprised they do 14m in earnings.

Tourists might like this service, you'd have to be a pretty lazy resident to not bother locating your preferred takeaways.

The problem with all internet companies is that as soon as someone starts making any money 100 other companies charge in and copy it, there is no monopoly power.

I'm surprised they do 14m in earnings.

Tourists might like this service, you'd have to be a pretty lazy resident to not bother locating your preferred takeaways.

You might have to wait for a leaflet to be delivered to know about some. And if the leaflet never comes...

We use it.

It's so much easier than ringing up and then wondering if they've got your order right.

Lazy? Maybe. It means none of us have to use the phone which is good!

Apparently they charge a £700 to list a retaurant (don't know if they take a commision aswell), I did a search near me and all I got was Pizza delivery places, none of the restaurants I use.

£1.5 billion is ridiculous, dot com bubble aggggggain.

Seriously who the **** is going it buy shares at that price?

That's why Google never made it.

why do we need food finder websites when Google does it all?

You might have to wait for a leaflet to be delivered to know about some. And if the leaflet never comes...

We use it.

It's so much easier than ringing up and then wondering if they've got your order right.

Lazy? Maybe. It means none of us have to use the phone which is good!

not only that, it provides an online menu...which you cant see on the phone.

Apparently they charge a £700 to list a retaurant (don't know if they take a commision aswell), I did a search near me and all I got was Pizza delivery places, none of the restaurants I use.

£1.5 billion is ridiculous, dot com bubble aggggggain.

Seriously who the **** is going it buy shares at that price?

yeah but, the 10% gain in one day is delicious.

not only that, it provides an online menu...which you cant see on the phone.

Which is up to date unlike the ones stuffed in the drawer. :)

Very few of the chinese takeaways are signed up.

I think the moral of the story is that each one of us with a bit of programming knowhow should be trying our best to come up with as many of these startups as possible in the hope that one of them 'hits' - it's not like these blokes are doing anything difficult from a technical perspective.

I think the moral of the story is that each one of us with a bit of programming knowhow should be trying our best to come up with as many of these startups as possible in the hope that one of them 'hits' - it's not like these blokes are doing anything difficult from a technical perspective.

The programming knowhow is not what you need: that just makes you another amongst millions of wannabes.

You need marketing. Get the initial mindshare that'll give critical mass to your venture. Get yourself noticed in the right places and you could be in with a chance. Even if your site is utter crap and offers nothing new or unusual (think lastminute.com). My mail-by-web implementation was 10000% better than hotmail when they both launched back in 1997, but it was the service with the marketing budget that got the mindshare (and of course has improved a lot since then).

And you also need to be able to manage growth. That means financial backing - most likely venture capital - to keep up as you have to hire in more expertise.

The programming knowhow is not what you need: that just makes you another amongst millions of wannabes.

You need marketing. Get the initial mindshare that'll give critical mass to your venture. Get yourself noticed in the right places and you could be in with a chance. Even if your site is utter crap and offers nothing new or unusual (think lastminute.com). My mail-by-web implementation was 10000% better than hotmail when they both launched back in 1997, but it was the service with the marketing budget that got the mindshare (and of course has improved a lot since then).

And you also need to be able to manage growth. That means financial backing - most likely venture capital - to keep up as you have to hire in more expertise.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

What this company seem to be are TV advertising resellers - they pump their site with TV ads, and some punters respond by buying online, from a restricted number of food outlets that have paid for their listing.