House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Woman Finds Locust In Waitrose Salad

Locust-web-%40BereniceJBaker.jpg

A woman was given a nasty shock when she found a locust lurking in her Waitrose salad.

Berenice Baker was just about to tuck into her watercress, spinach and rocket salad when she made the somewhat unappetising discovery having already added chicken and rice to the mix. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pictured-woman-finds-locust-in-waitrose-salad-9236353.html

The locust - an insect known for swarming and rapid breeding - was soon nicknamed Larry by Ms Baker's colleagues.

"One forkful was half-way to my mouth when I noticed something different to the heft of an average salad leaf, and there he was," the technology journalist told BuzzFeed.

She added: "I let out a bit of a squeal which grabbed the attention of the office."

So she has no problems with eating disgusting mass produced chicken but a locust shocks her... <_<

She should be delighted about the extra portion of free protein! :blink:

chickens.jpg

David Cameron says nice people go to Waitrose.

It's an experiment - The authors highlight the relatively stronger sustainability of animal protein production by way of insect farming because, pound to pound, the production of insect protein takes much less land and energy than the more widely consumed forms of animal protein.

Locust-web-%40BereniceJBaker.jpg

So she has no problems with eating disgusting mass produced chicken but a locust shocks her... <_<

She should be delighted about the extra portion of free protein! :blink:

chickens.jpg

When I first lived in Oman we had an almost biblical plague of locusts one year - big fat ones and the buggers ate everything in the little garden I was painfully trying to create out of basically desert sand. But a friend of mine was a nurse at the military hospital, where lots of young boys were employed as 'orderlies'. And once they found out that it absolutely freaked them out, these bigger little buggers took delight in catching the big fat locusts and devouring them alive right in front of my friend and her colleagues.

Traditional to eat them there I gathered - good source of protein.

If a locust was on the menu as an expensive, delicious high class rare delicacy....not dissimilar to fish eggs, duck liver or prawn.....people would be bragging they got a locust in their salad for free and rush home to cook it in garlic peel and savour it. ;)

If a locust was on the menu as an expensive, delicious high class rare delicacy....not dissimilar to fish eggs, duck liver or prawn.....people would be bragging they got a locust in their salad for free and rush home to cook it in garlic peel and savour it. ;)

Yep, if property was considered a scarce and desirable highly priced asset people would be bragging how much they........Oh wait a minute.

I believe, in Cambodia, they are fried on sticks, and are very much treated as "prawns"

I believe, in Cambodia, they are fried on sticks, and are very much treated as "prawns"

There you go.....in the right place at the right time and hungry who wouldn't. ;)

Meanwhile in Thailand...

thai-market_zps750f23c1.jpg

I kind of regret not at least trying one.... Perhaps next time.

Yikes.

I'd better cancel the Thai bride I ordered over the Internet. I'll stay single and do my own cooking.

and being Waitrose, it was most likely an organic locust.

I'm guessing that the salad had to be organic, because if it had been sprayed with pesticide while it was still in the ground, the pesticide would have nuked the locust.

That is one of the two major drawbacks with organic food. The plusses are that it tastes nicer and you're not ingesting a load of chemical cr@p. The minuses are that it goes off more quickly, it's a bit more expensive, you can only get organic fruit and veg that is in season (or imported at astronomical cost) and you have to be a lot more careful in getting the crud off it (including bugs and larger insects) before cooking and/or eating it. My local supemarket sells a washing-up liquid for organic produce before cooking, made mainly of liquidised grapefruit peel, and it's pretty effective. But food preparation time is longer.

I can't believe the first reply to this thread wasn't something along the lines of 'Was it David Cameron?'

Trick missed.

I can't believe the first reply to this thread wasn't something along the lines of 'Was it David Cameron?'

Trick missed.

nah, he'd have found a slippery snake.

Yikes.

I'd better cancel the Thai bride I ordered over the Internet. I'll stay single and do my own cooking.

Do you eat prawns and shrimps, crabs and lobsters ?

Do you drink Ribena ?

Extra protein what's the problem?

I've asked that exact same question on many occasion...

(know what I mean? phnarr phnarr)

& whatever crawls on a blackcurrant bush with ripe blackcurrants

Doing the backpacker thing around Australia, whilst in WA did a bit of work grape picking for wineries. Slugs, spiders, snails and all sorts ended up in the bucket. Told not to slow down picking to shake them out, whole lot went in for pressing! Took a while to regain a thirst for a full bodied red after that!