House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

The Death Of A Great American City: Why Does Anyone Still Live In Detroit?

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/apr/03/the-death-of-a-great-american-city-why-does-anyone-still-live-in-detroit

Khalil Ligon couldn’t tell if the robbers were in her house. She had just returned home to find her front window smashed and a brick lying among shattered glass on the floor. Ligon, an urban planner who lives alone on Detroit’s east side, stepped out and called the police.

It wasn’t the first time Ligon’s home had been broken into, she told me. And when Detroit police officers finally arrived the next day, surveying an area marred by abandoned structures and overgrown vegetation, they asked Ligon a question she often ponders herself: why is she still in Detroit?

Ligon understands the city’s root problems better than most. She was the project manager for the Lower Eastside Action Plan (Leap), an ambitious proposal to transform vacant land in some of the city’s most blighted areas. But like so many people in the sprawling metropolis, home to the largest municipal bankruptcy in American history, she too grapples with Detroiters’ greatest dilemma.

“Do I want to be a part of it, to grind it out and make Detroit liveable for the next generation? I know I probably won’t see it change,” Ligon said. “Or do I want to go to one of these places that is already there? I want to live somewhere it’s not so difficult to achieve simple things. Everything in Detroit seems so hard.”

A dying City that's bankrupt and it appears with no feasible way to reverse the decline, especially in country where you can just move on and live elsewhere.

All the middle class white people fled Detroit decades ago due to the crime, thats kind of the problem. The current demographics are 83% black, 11% white, 6% other.

Turns out when you drive all the productive people out due to a failure to combat crime, the people left behind are screwed. The continual failure of the left wing to realise this is mystifying.

Basically this is a demographic issue going back to the late 50s, White people left, the city went to hell

1910 population: 466,000 white, 6,000 black

1920: 952,000 white, 41,000 black

1940: 1.47 million white, 149,000 black

1950: 1.55 million white, 301,000 black

1960: 1.18 million white, 482,000 black

1970: 839,000 white, 660,000 black

1980: 414,000 white, 759,000 black

1990: 222,000 white, 778,000 black

2000: 117,000 white, 776,000 black

2010: 76,000 white, 591,000 black

Detroit was America's first 'black city' basically as the whites fled. Unfortunately all the affirmative action and black mayors did nothing for good governance, and a large number now languish in prison. As you can see, while the whites left fairly quickly, it took much longer for the black population, dependent on welfare and with little in the way of a tax basis without employment, to wise up and start leaving.

I'm not sure the same thing would happen in the UK because taxation isn't so localised, so basically our s**tholes get taxes from nicer areas, which isn't an option in the US.

Edited by bambam

Unfortunately all the affirmative action and black mayors did nothing for good governance, and a large number now languish in prison. As you can see, while the whites left fairly quickly, it took much longer for the black population, dependent on welfare and with little in the way of a tax basis without employment, to wise up and start leaving.
Its hard to avoid making parallels with both South Africa and Zimbabwe. Those places were also screwed over by elites essentially deciding that it was ok to drive out the (comparatively wealthier and better educated) white population in order to correct historical wrongs, without any thought whatsoever for what would happen to the people left behind. Its infuriating, because its always idiotic Western 'white guilt' left-wing types (who are most vocal about addressing racism) who implement the policies which basically screw black people the hardest, due to their continual refusal to actually think about the consequences of what they are doing. Edited by Smyth

Very good article: Detroit's Tragic Decline Is Largely Due To Its Own Race-Based Policies

Much of the city's decline began with the election of Coleman Young, Detroit's first black mayor and mayor for five terms, who engaged in political favoritism to blacks and tax policies against higher-income, mostly white people.

Young's successors, Dennis Archer and Kwame Kilpatrick, followed his Third World tyrant policies, but neither had his verbal vulgarity. Kilpatrick (2002-08) went to jail and is on trial today on charges of corruption.

Policies that ran whites and other more affluent people out of Detroit might have been Young's and his successors' strategy. After all, why not get rid of people who aren't going to vote for you anyway?

Incidentally Prof. Williams is Black.

Same thing is happening in the Welsh speaking areas of Wales - force people to speak Welsh and/or only give well paying public sector jobs to Welsh speakers and you have a flight of educated English speaking Welsh. Now those areas moan that they can't get, for example, doctors.

Continue the policy and more and more people begin to move out of the country - which is the aim of those pushing the policy.

I wonder how many jobs in Detroit were going to non whites based on some ethnic quota system? I suspect lots of white people saw the writing on the wall and aimply left followed by the educated non whites who could see no future.

I believe Nebraska is now booming due to shale gas with vast numbers of Yanks moving there.

I don't think it's just poor political leadership, though that isn't helping. The real problem is that the industry that enabled Detroit to grow to its peak size is in the process of disappearing: the "big three" carmakers are in terminal decline, and have been since the '70s. Most of the cars on America's roads are now made in Mexico or South Korea, by Asian or European-owned companies. Their Detroit-built competitors are widely regarded as obsolete, and are only bought in significant numbers by rental companies at huge volume discounts. The latest recall scandal (GM is having to recall millions of vehicles because a misdesigned ignition switch can fail and cause the car to stall at any time) is indicative of the problem, and a further nail in the coffin. The few American car makers that are regarded as cutting edge and/or attractive (e.g. Tesla) produce small volume, niche products and have nothing to do with Detroit.

It's the same syndrome as Middlesbrough after the steel and chemical industries essentially left: the reason for the city's existence left with them.

I don't think it's just poor political leadership, though that isn't helping. The real problem is that the industry that enabled Detroit to grow to its peak size is in the process of disappearing: the "big three" carmakers are in terminal decline, and have been since the '70s. Most of the cars on America's roads are now made in Mexico or South Korea, by Asian or European-owned companies. Their Detroit-built competitors are widely regarded as obsolete, and are only bought in significant numbers by rental companies at huge volume discounts. The latest recall scandal (GM is having to recall millions of vehicles because a misdesigned ignition switch can fail and cause the car to stall at any time) is indicative of the problem, and a further nail in the coffin. The few American car makers that are regarded as cutting edge and/or attractive (e.g. Tesla) produce small volume, niche products and have nothing to do with Detroit.

It's the same syndrome as Middlesbrough after the steel and chemical industries essentially left: the reason for the city's existence left with them.

I would also think that the traditional American car manufacturers have simply turned into bankrupt pension funds. Seems to happen most big organisations after three generations or so.

Ditto the Welsh mining valleys. Once the mines closdd in the 1980s there was no reason for those mining communities. I have always argued that it would have been better longterm to have moved the people down to Cardiff - saved a fortune on roads and rail and power and sewage, etc, etc, to nowhere... and saved on benefits....

No work is going to come to the Valleys apart from wacky ideas, such as Hollywood studios and F1 race tracks, where clever people.can obtain grants for planning businesses in deprived areas.

Guest spp

Shocking stats!

I follow someone on youtube who goes filming around the area. Properties being boarded up that people in the U.K would only dream off living in. 3 bed + Semi detached/Detached with open green space is the norm.

While I accept your general point, its important to point out that Middlesborough doesnt have a violent crime rate of 2137 incidents per 100,000 people, nor a property crime rate of 6143 per 100,000.

Yeah, decline can happen in many cities, but the difference is in how populations respond. Pittsburgh in the US was also hurt badly by the decline of the auto industry for example, but they turned it around. Its a lot harder to do that when the population resorts to high rates of crime which are ignored by the governing body, causing an exodus of the skilled/educated workers and setting up a negative feedback loop.

Edited by Smyth

The thing about Detroit is that it's basically hollowed out, there is still plenty of employment, money, functioning society, in the surrounding areas

Compare:

Metro Detroit, not including the city of Detroit itself -

2,900,000 white people

390,000 black people

Detroit itself:

76,000 white people

590,000 black people

This map shows the population distribution:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/FischerDetroit2010Census.png

Each dot = 25 people

Red = white

Blue = black

Orange = Hispanic

Green = Asian

Home Alone: http://www.trulia.com/property/3149307331-6479-Wyndham-Dr-West-Bloomfield-MI-48322

Don't stay home alone unless you've got an Uzi: http://www.trulia.com/property/3056333295-133-Elmhurst-St-Highland-Park-MI-48203 (and your own fire truck http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/124-Elmhurst-St-Highland-Park-MI-48203/88350874_zpid/)

Edited by bambam