House Price Crash Forum

"painfully, Dangerously Thin" Do What?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Ok, I know it's the Mail, I know they need some angle on the story to be able to draw a blanket of newsworthiness over yet another celebrity puff piece, but she looks entirely normal and healthy to me.

article-2595359-1CC94B6700000578-745_634x886.jpg

Stressed out: Tori Spelling, who is reported to have dropped to just 92lbs, visited her husband Dean McDermott in rehab on Wednesday before taking their children to Taco Bell

article-0-1CBE5BE700000578-152_634x915.jpg

Dangerously thin? Tori Spelling has sparked new health fears as he weight 'plunges to 92lbs', pictured on Tuesday in LA

Do you think the journo (Barbara Johnson) is one of those "normal" women? ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2595359/Painfully-Tori-Spelling-treats-children-takeout-fast-food-chain-Taco-Bell-amid-reports-money-woes.html

HOLA442

Ok, I know it's the Mail, I know they need some angle on the story to be able to draw a blanket of newsworthiness over yet another celebrity puff piece, but she looks entirely normal and healthy to me.

article-2595359-1CC94B6700000578-745_634x886.jpg

Stressed out: Tori Spelling, who is reported to have dropped to just 92lbs, visited her husband Dean McDermott in rehab on Wednesday before taking their children to Taco Bell

article-0-1CBE5BE700000578-152_634x915.jpg

Dangerously thin? Tori Spelling has sparked new health fears as he weight 'plunges to 92lbs', pictured on Tuesday in LA

Do you think the journo (Barbara Johnson) is one of those "normal" women? ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2595359/Painfully-Tori-Spelling-treats-children-takeout-fast-food-chain-Taco-Bell-amid-reports-money-woes.html

Is she abot 4 feet tall?

92lb is 6 and a half stone so very light indeed unless she's very tiny, so I guess the pictures are slightly deceptive.

HOLA443

Is she abot 4 feet tall?

92lb is 6 and a half stone so very light indeed unless she's very tiny, so I guess the pictures are slightly deceptive.

5'5" according to a quick google, and she is small-framed so you wouldn't expect her to be 8 stone or anything.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

She looks to be a healthy weight. Any more weight loss and it would probably be unhealthy.

There's a woman I often see near my house, out walking her dog who I'd guess is probably anorexic. She's very attractive and well dressed but her legs and arms are like matchsticks, and her face is all sunken.

It's kind of heartbreaking to see actually. One of those times when you'd like to reach out and see if you can help someone who seems to be in a bad way, but they probably wouldn't want/need your help.

HOLA447

People in the west, particularly Britain, have got completely out of touch about what 'normal' body shapes are.

I saw some telly prog the other day about a woman in Britain who was having breast reduction surgery. She was being treated as if she had some unfortunate medical problem. What they didn't seem to point out was that she was hugely overweight and her breasts were simply in proportion.

My wife ended up shouting 'SHE'S NOT ILL, SHE'S FAT!' at the screen...

Allowing for the camera adding pounds, the woman in the pics is very slim, but I wouldn't say dangerously or unhealthily so.

HOLA448

She looks to be a healthy weight. Any more weight loss and it would probably be unhealthy.

There's a woman I often see near my house, out walking her dog who I'd guess is probably anorexic. She's very attractive and well dressed but her legs and arms are like matchsticks, and her face is all sunken.

It's kind of heartbreaking to see actually. One of those times when you'd like to reach out and see if you can help someone who seems to be in a bad way, but they probably wouldn't want/need your help.

Definitely don't. If it's somebody you know well then you can drop it into conversation and ask if you can help but leave well alone for a stranger; I work with a massively fat woman who has trouble walking to the end of the office and back :( and I wouldn't dream of pointing out the obvious to her as she well knows it.

HOLA449

In response to the above - I personally think telling people more often if they are overweight is a good thing . Its got to the point where it is deemed normal.

Too much politeness about IMO.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

According to this body mass index calculator, a weight of 92 lbs and height of 5' 5" corresponds to a BMI of just 15.3 and is less than 2nd percentile. That would be extremely thin and would carry a significant risk of adverse health effects.

Edit: Judging by the comments so far, either she is lying about her weight or height, or the good people of HPC have indeed been conditioned by the media to have unrealistic expectations of the female physique.

HOLA4413

According to this body mass index calculator, a weight of 92 lbs and height of 5' 5" corresponds to a BMI of just 15.3 and is less than 2nd percentile. That would be extremely thin and would carry a significant risk of adverse health effects.

That would be the same index that rates professional rugby players with <10% body fat as obese.

That said I reckon she's pretty thin, my 16yo stepdaughter is 4 inches shorter, 2kg heavier and she is very slim without a scrap of fat.

HOLA4414

The BMI is seriously flawed to say the least because it doesn't take into account body frame.

Tori Spelling looks very healthy to me except for her botox face.

HOLA4415

Edit: Judging by the comments so far, either she is lying about her weight or height, or the good people of HPC have indeed been conditioned by the media to have unrealistic expectations of the female physique.

My wife`s BMI is 16, probably has a little more muscle.

Works 12 hour shifts for the NHS.

HOLA4416

That would be the same index that rates professional rugby players with <10% body fat as obese.

That said I reckon she's pretty thin, my 16yo stepdaughter is 4 inches shorter, 2kg heavier and she is very slim without a scrap of fat.

That would make your stepdaughter's BMI 18.1, or 31st percentile. Just about ideal for her age.

I know BMI is an imperfect measure of physique, especially for large muscular types, but it is a reasonable first approximation to quantifying body size for people with average proportions of muscle and body fat.

HOLA4417
but it is a reasonable first approximation to quantifying body size for people with average proportions of muscle and body fat.

Not even for average people, for example my wife has a BMI of 19.5 but in reality she has at least 6-8 pounds of excess fat around her waist and hips (she admits that herself and it's clearly visible when she wears a bikini).

The BMI is fundamentally flawed.

HOLA4418

Tori Spelling looks very healthy to me except for her botox face.

She looks like she could do with a good meal or 5 to me. I personally find that level of skinniness unattractive, but I think 'dangerously thin' is probably pushing it.

HOLA4419

Not even for average people, for example my wife has a BMI of 19.5 but in reality she has at least 6-8 pounds of excess fat around her waist and hips (she admits that herself and it's clearly visible when she wears a bikini).

The BMI is fundamentally flawed.

In what way is it "excess"?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

5'5" according to a quick google, and she is small-framed so you wouldn't expect her to be 8 stone or anything.

Looks OK to me ! Am Morrissey said "some girls are bigger than others"! Applies to men too! :o

HOLA4424

Did any of you click on the DM link? The picture from In Touch magazine shows clearly that she is indeed very dangerously thin. I suspect most of the other pictures were taken some time ago.

My 10 year old daughter weighs around 38 Kg (approx 84lbs) and she is by no means overweight, in fact a friend of mine commented on how slim and athletic my children looked. For a grown woman of her height to be only 42Kg is most definitely not normal.

Edit: my wife at her pre-children sporty weight was 52kg and she is 5ft 5" as well.

HOLA4425

Archived