House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Bank Funded Bet Addict

They're still at it. You can see the game here - keep on loading the son up with debt full in the knowledge that the parents would bail him and the bank out.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005550070,00.html

A COUPLE were ignored when they begged banks to stop lending their son cash as he racked up £80,000 of gambling debts.

Anne and Robert Arnold found Tom, 22, had been given a £5,000 home improvement loan to feed his addiction in spite of the plea.

And Tom got the “DIY” cash from Lloyds TSB even though he still lives with his parents.

Anne, 52, found out when he was £20,000 in debt. She bailed him out and got a promise from Lloyds that they would tip her off if he sank into financial strife again.

But her son continued betting and the banks remained silent until the lad was forced to tell his parents.

This time cabbie Robert, 48, remortgaged their home with Lloyds TSB for £42,000 to cover what he owed.

Edited by OnlyMe

he racked up £80,000 of gambling debts.

Tom ...still lives with his parents.

Probably trying to win enough to afford his own home. And yes, his parents shouldn't have kept bailing him out.

You can see the game here - keep on loading the son up with debt full in the knowledge that the parents would bail him and the bank out.

I doubt banks are that organised... it's not as though the person authorising the loan is likely to know the debtor or their parents these days. The real problem is that the parents _do_ bail him out: why would he stop borrowing money if he never has to pay it back?

Any kid of mine who runs up 80k in gambling debts better expect to find themselves in bankruptcy court.

why couldnt he file for bankruptcy... seems to me the parents are doing more harm than good

Ah, need to read on further into the article, it gets worse.

The couple face hefty repayments into old age and could lose their home. Anne isn’t working because of a bad back.

But Tom still continued to gamble and is now another £38,000 in debt, which his parents are refusing to cover.

Last night Robert, of Wimbledon South London, said: “It’s disgusting. I’ve banked with Lloyds for 30 years. The bank agreed it would not lend him money but in less than a year they have done the same again.”

dont you need assets?

No, the whole point of bankruptcy is it is mostly for people with unmanageable amounts of debt and few if any assets. If someone has assets they can be sold to pay off the debt, and a repayment plan arranged to pay off the remainder; bankruptcy is not necessary in that circumstance.

Anne, 52, found out when he was £20,000 in debt. She bailed him out and got a promise from Lloyds that they would tip her off if he sank into financial strife again.

But her son continued betting and the banks remained silent until the lad was forced to tell his parents.

I'm not sure why the bank is getting the blame here. The son is an adult, and it would be quite wrong, and probably illegal, for the bank to tell anyone else about his financial affairs without his consent.

I'm not sure why the bank is getting the blame here. The son is an adult, and it would be quite wrong, and probably illegal, for the bank to tell anyone else about his financial affairs without his consent.

The bank agreed it would not lend him money but in less than a year they have done the same again.”

The bank agreed it would not lend him money but in less than a year they have done the same again.”

OK, they had no business making such an agreement with his parents. So what they did wrong was allowing his parents to get involved at all, not then going on to lend him more money.

Gambling debts are not looked on favourably by bankruptcy if at all.

Also he has taken a loan out from the bank and probably lied about what he was using it for. I.e. 'DIY'.

The family does sound a bit retarded though.

Also he has taken a loan out from the bank and probably lied about what he was using it for. I.e. 'DIY'.

The family does sound a bit retarded though.

If the parents had any sense they would refuse to help him and let him be declared bankrupt.

At least he wouldn't be able to borrow any more money.

Good point: he may be one of the ones who's made to wait years before they can get another loan.

Which, in the circumstances, probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

Any kid of mine...

At 22 you're no longer a kid, even at 18 you're not really a kid, maybe a naive adult at best.

They should have solved the problem at its root and tackled the gambling problem, bailing him out and not making any corrective action is misguided at best.

If somebody wants to borrow money they will do so readily, Lloyds aren't a branch of social services.

Tom should go back to LloydsTSB and ask for another £50K - they'll probably give it to him.

He should then go home and place a £50K bet with his parents that Shergar will be found on the moon on Christmas day.

On boxing day he hands the £50K to his parents.

On the 27th he should file for bankruptcy.

It might just work, so long as he doesn't spend the money before Christmas or Shergar really is on the moon.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: