House Price Crash Forum

Mps Criticise Bbc Over Climate Change Reporting

snowflux

HOLA441

what we need is a scientific counter-argument to climate alarmism, which exists; but has zero chance of getting aired on the BBC.

By putting up instead superannuated politicians like Lawson against climate scientists they are sneakily skewing the debate in favour of alarmism..

That's an article of faith on your part.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

what we need is a scientific counter-argument to climate alarmism, which exists;

Really?

The biggest single problem I have with skeptics is their refusal to put up such an argument. It's always whining about 'alamists', whining about 'groupthink', whining about minor flaws (real or imagined) in climate scientist's work.. Never 'Here is our alternative theory that explains all that current climatology does and more, which we are prepared to defend in detail'.

HOLA443

Really?

The biggest single problem I have with skeptics is their refusal to put up such an argument. It's always whining about 'alamists', whining about 'groupthink', whining about minor flaws (real or imagined) in climate scientist's work.. Never 'Here is our alternative theory that explains all that current climatology does and more, which we are prepared to defend in detail'.

and others ignore the fact that the global temp is "paused".

The word paused is Alarmist too....its like saying a mother "moves on" from breastfeeding to baby milk...the implication is in the wording.

Paused means stopped, but poised to advance again.

Truth is, the models were wrong.

HOLA444

I'm perfectly happy for the experts to be questioned by the public.

What I'm not happy about is BBC air time being given to people who are not experts in the field to pontificate on the issue as though their opinions have equal weight to those of people who are experts.

BBC do this in all fields...we rarely hear the words of our leaders...they cut in and have it all analysed by their experts...when we are all capable of actually hearing the actual words spoken..

Most of course cant be arsed to listen to any of it.

HOLA445

The BBC do seem to try very hard to present both sides of an argument as equally valid in science, but they don't seem bothered to do the same on other topics.

I'd be happy if they started interviewing estate agents the way they currently interview scientists and vice versa.

HOLA446

and others ignore the fact that the global temp is "paused".

The word paused is Alarmist too....its like saying a mother "moves on" from breastfeeding to baby milk...the implication is in the wording.

Paused means stopped, but poised to advance again.

I forgot that other skeptic habit of warbling on about the use of language and making sweeping unbacked assertions.

HOLA447

I forgot that other skeptic habit of warbling on about the use of language and making sweeping unbacked assertions.

what is your definition of "The Pause" as used by the Met Office in relation to Global warming?

Why didnt they say "stopped"?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Because it keeps starting again?

SkepticFrame.jpg

abitrary line drawing does not bust a wording issue.

I see in that series a rising line then a horizontal, especially at the peaks...then again, the features I see in a face will be different to ones you observe.

Squinting at it will help as fuzz evens out the thin bits.

HOLA4410

abitrary line drawing does not bust a wording issue.

I see in that series a rising line then a horizontal, especially at the peaks...then again, the features I see in a face will be different to ones you observe.

Squinting at it will help as fuzz evens out the thin bits.

What the graph is supposed to demonstrate is the pointlessness of claiming that global warming has stopped on the basis of less than a couple of decades of worth of measurements.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

..instead of outlining a viable alternative hypothesis ..guess

lets face it, they were wrong, they cant admit it, and go on and on trying to make their wrongness not make them all look gullible.

Even a child says "yeah, but" every time it is caught out.

HOLA4413

How wrong? Completely wrong or broadly right but incomplete? There's a massive difference there. Also a problem with one model or hypothesis in no way lends support to anything that opposed it - the only way that's the case is if you've got two mutually exclusive ideas and can demonstrate that one of them must be correct (which is usually far harder than you'd think).

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Science - yes. Consensus - no.

There is a scientific consensus that the currently observed changes in the climate are probably mainly due to human emissions of greenhouse gases.

The probables and mainlys are the language of science; they do not indicate lack of consensus.

HOLA4421

How wrong? Completely wrong or broadly right but incomplete? There's a massive difference there. Also a problem with one model or hypothesis in no way lends support to anything that opposed it - the only way that's the case is if you've got two mutually exclusive ideas and can demonstrate that one of them must be correct (which is usually far harder than you'd think).

well, wrong in the sense that warming "paused" for the last 15 years.

Now they are scrabbling to find other causes for where the "lost" extra energy is now stored and manifest.

I suspect the new theories are rather like cooking a frozen chicken in a bag...first, the bag heats up, but then attains steady temperature as the now thawing chicken heats up...

HOLA4422

Science - yes. Consensus - no.

Compare the statement with "climate change is man made".

"The proton IS a positively charged particle." "Jupiter IS the biggest planet." "It's PROBABLY going to be a good summer."

Read any scientific paper, and you'll see it's full of probablys.

HOLA4423

Now they are scrabbling to find other causes for where the "lost" extra energy is now stored and manifest.

I suspect the new theories are rather like cooking a frozen chicken in a bag...first, the bag heats up, but then attains steady temperature as the now thawing chicken heats up...

Nobody is scrabbling. As I pointed out earlier and you studiously ignore, such "pauses" have already occurred a number of times. This is entirely expected, and is most likely the result of heat sloshing back and forth between the oceans and the atmosphere. There is no big mystery here, though the precise mechanisms involved are still a matter for further investigation.

HOLA4424

Read any scientific paper, and you'll see it's full of probablys.

Of course, serious scientists distinguish between facts and their personal opinion (expressed by using 'probably' and other similar words).

It's 'believers' like yourself that skip over the 'probably' and consider those personal options to be facts, just because they were expressed by scientists.

HOLA4425

So which is it then? Completely wrong or just in need of refinement?

Archived