House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Return Of The Killer Smog: Worst Pollution In 60 Years To Strike Britain Tomorrow

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/468085/Return-of-the-KILLER-SMOG-Worst-pollution-in-60-YEARS-to-strike-Britain-TOMORROW

A deadly pollution cloud that could prove fatal for people with serious heart and lung problems will sweep into the UK tonight and cover much of the country tomorrow.

As this terrifying map from the Met Office shows, huge swathes of the UK will suffer extraordinarily high levels of air pollution in the next 24 hours - hitting highest possible level 10 on the official warning scale.

The midlands and the south are set to be worst affected, but almost all of England and Wales will experience extremely high levels of dangerous pollution.

Defra claims that that overall levels of sulphur dioxide have fallen nearly 10-fold, and smoke levels 20-fold since the 1960s, as average air quality has improved.

The dangers caused by coal-burning power stations responsible for winter smog have decreased substantially, and road transport has become the biggest source of air pollution in most areas.

But rare occasions when dangerously high levels of ozone, nitrogen dioxide, sulphur dioxide, PM2.5 and PM10 particles - which can seriously damage human health - do occur.

On a more balance footing how bad is the pollution now compared to 60 years ago, it's certainly invisible unless you are far enough away to see the haze.

On a more balance footing how bad is the pollution now compared to 60 years ago, it's certainly invisible unless you are far enough away to see the haze.

Bagsies first reference to chemtrails

Why is this pollution hitting us tomorrow?

Sand from the Sahara!

It's EU pollution!

Send it back!

It does highlight the fact that combating air pollution is a supranational problem and requires a supranational body to coordinate and implement legislation. An argument in favour of the EU for Clegg to use?

It does highlight the fact that combating air pollution is a supranational problem and requires a supranational body to coordinate and implement legislation. An argument in favour of the EU for Clegg to use?

Alas, the world is not flat, sire.

The problem does not neatly stop at the borders of the UK.

It does not stop neatly at the borders of the EU, either...

London doesn't need EU pollution - it already has the worst in all of Europe and is in repeated breach of European air quality standards.

The problem does not neatly stop at the borders of the UK.

It does not stop neatly at the borders of the EU, either...

Well no, but air pollution drifting over from neighbour countries is going to affect us more than pollution emitted on the other side of the world. EU legislation has got to be a lot more effective than individual legislation on a national basis in dealing with this sort of problem.

London doesn't need EU pollution - it already has the worst in all of Europe and is in repeated breach of European air quality standards.

Yes, they get it from us in spades when the wind's blowing the other way.

The BBC seem to be doing their best to bring on a National asthma epidemic. Symptoms can be psychosomatic.........if you become aware of your breathing and think the air is polluted you may well suffer symptoms.........

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/482560

:lol: Yes, I thought so too. Just reading the article made me start to feel wheezy, and I don't actually suffer from any breathing difficulties!

I'm off out for a jog. I might be some time.....

I have visions of you coming back like lawrence of Arabia with face covering to keep sand out.

I'm just about to take my 94 year old neighbor to visit the chiropodist. I will ask him how it compares to the pea soupers than London was famous for.

The whole thing is getting rather needlessly confused. How much of it is pollution and how much sand / dust (which isn't pollution even if it is unpleasant for some people)?

For decades we have had red Sahara dust landing on our cars and houses at various times of the year - no dire warnings on the BBC back then.

I have asthma and, yes, I do actually appreciate the warnings but they way that the BBC have turned this into dire news... and are running with it... makes me just think we have turned into a nation of wushes.

The pollution in London is terrible so I find it hard to see how some sand from Sahara has made that worse. Or are they sayin that all of Paris's pollution has landed on the UK?

Rant over. Even I am bored typing this so apologies if you bothered reading it. :huh: