House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Adverts With Domesticated Men

I was idly watching the idiot box the other night and noticed a couple of adverts - for I forget what - which featured men in the kitchen and so on; cooking for their sprogs etc. It occurred to me that they seemed to be a tragic vignette with the unanswered question, "what happened to Mother?" Struck down by illness? Killed tragically in a car crash? Locked, insane and unmentioned in the attic? Buried under the patio?

Mrs JTB said the ads were intended to be tragic. I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to think the world has shifted on its axis and my old fashioned expectations of family life are long forgotten by ad writers.

I was idly watching the idiot box the other night and noticed a couple of adverts - for I forget what - which featured men in the kitchen and so on; cooking for their sprogs etc. It occurred to me that they seemed to be a tragic vignette with the unanswered question, "what happened to Mother?" Struck down by illness? Killed tragically in a car crash? Locked, insane and unmentioned in the attic? Buried under the patio?

Mrs JTB said the ads were intended to be tragic. I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to think the world has shifted on its axis and my old fashioned expectations of family life are long forgotten by ad writers.

I always liked it when mum was away and dad had to cook. We get get something tasty! :o

political correctness gone way to far.

"what happened to Mother?"

She had to take a full time job as well as an evening job just to pay the bills, as father got made redundant from his factory job of 24 years, as the factory has been closed and to be turned in to rabbit hutch wimpey homes. He cant find a new job as all the factories in the area have all been closed too.

There is a weird advert where the kids are advertising their dad on some dating website.

Maybe they are finding him a deluded old scrapper bird.

Bring back the Oxo family. So homely.

Men in adverts are invariably shown as bumbling, confused, wrong-headed, half-witted animals needed only a pragmatic, realistic, clear-sighted woman to put them right.

Look at it this way: if adverts show women as strong and men as weak children, it's because the advertiser thinks that these depictions will flatter the egos of their target audience.

So we have to deduce that adverts are aimed primarily at women.

And why are adverts aimed at women? Could it be because men are too smart to fall for that rubbish? ;)

PS I will now go and hide under a rock for the next 5 years, or however long it takes HPC's female battalion to remove the fatwa on my head :P

Look at it this way: if adverts show women as strong and men as weak children, it's because the advertiser thinks that these depictions will flatter the egos of their target audience.

So we have to deduce that adverts are aimed primarily at women.

And why are adverts aimed at women? Could it be because men are too smart to fall for that rubbish? ;)

PS I will now go and hide under a rock for the next 5 years, or however long it takes HPC's female battalion to remove the fatwa on my head :P

Maybe women have got all your money, and the car keys? :huh:

Ads are a microcosm of societal misandry.

Men have been cowed by feminism and had their inate sense of chivalry turned against them. We're expected to carry all the burdens of yesteryear yet receive none of the privileges or security. The game is up though as more and more men go their own way, forsaking careers, marriage and children for more rewarding pursuits, like playing World of Warcraft. ;) Women are getting the men they deserve. :P

Because TV is mostly watched by women these days.

This. Therefore advertising is targeted at women.

Men do watch television - but are notoriously difficult to reach with terrestrial TV advertising (especially young men). Hence the creation of Dave channel (that was it's original intention at least - never watched it myself).

Ads aimed at men sometimes portray women in similarly stupid manner eg Lynx, Castlemain XXXX. Men are no more immune to advertising than women sadly.

Cooking is too important to leave to women.

MTFU.

The washing up isn't! :blink:

Women can be replaced... with a dishwasher :ph34r:

Did "CCC" make you say that? ;)

2"

Maybe women have got all your money, and the car keys? :huh:

Agreed

Disagreeing can sometimes be too much hassle.

The washing up isn't! :blink:

You could always lick your plates clean like those blokes in the old ad. And dogs can be very useful for saucepans and roasting tins. Our dog would do a sterling job on a roasting tin - 20 minutes till barely a molecule remained (before it went into the dishwasher).