House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Partner Politics

I really don't know the answer to this one.

I suspect that generally the working partners don't really appreciate the unfathomable depth of the emotional responsibility that the child-rearing partner takes on, but at the same time, they do get to have much of their day under their own control, and can often take daily breaks of at least an hour to chat with friends over coffee.

And the child-rearing partner often seems to not really comprehend the stressful nature of the workplace, and that a person really can be mentally and physically exhausted after a days work.

There are of course positive sides to both types of work, but many people seem to find they are getting ground down.++

(I shouldn't really have used the term "proper work" because i don't want to diminish the homemaker-child-rearer category, but it's just the sort of thing that makes me smile, and I couldn't think of a good alternative term)

I really don't know the answer to this one.

I suspect that generally the working partners don't really appreciate the unfathomable depth of the emotional responsibility that the child-rearing partner takes on, but at the same time, they do get to have much of their day under their own control, and can often take daily breaks of at least an hour to chat with friends over coffee.

And the child-rearing partner often seems to not really comprehend the stressful nature of the workplace, and that a person really can be mentally and physically exhausted after a days work.

There are of course positive sides to both types of work, but many people seem to find they are getting ground down.++

(I shouldn't really have used the term "proper work" because i don't want to diminish the homemaker-child-rearer category, but it's just the sort of thing that makes me smile, and I couldn't think of a good alternative term)

I thought the days of the single breadwinner and 'er indoors were over? My partner and I both work full time and split the childcare. The dream is only doing either.

I guess in my (relatively small) circle of friends and acquaintances, most couples do seem to have adopted (or drifted into) traditional stereotypical roles (and seem to spend much time griping about it).

I guess in my (relatively small) circle of friends and acquaintances, most couples do seem to have adopted (or drifted into) traditional stereotypical roles (and seem to spend much time griping about it).

I do B). Would happily do a). but the survey is flawed - depends on what sort of kid (some kids are a mare, some are just fun) and what sort of job (ditto)

Do you know my friends too?

We know two couples. One was on a minimum wage job but gave up the job about 5-6 years ago. They now have a kid. She hates the fact he is at home "doing nothing" and that she has to go to work to earn money.

She had to go back to work to maintain their "going out" lifestyle. If they'd looked at what they spent she could have probably afforded to have the full year off but been at home bored shitless cos she doesn't like staying in and doing staying at home things.

The other couple. She used to work. But they've started a property development business in which it's taken them about 3 years to do up a house and its still not finished. He does have a trust fund income but not enough for all the fun he'd like.

I do B). Would happily do a). but the survey is flawed - depends on what sort of kid (some kids are a mare, some are just fun) and what sort of job (ditto)

As a single dad, I do both.

Looking after a little, pre-school child has its rewards, but is frequently mind-numbingly tedious. My lad's a lot more interesting to be with now he's older though and doesn't need or want continuous entertainment/company any more. Cleaning, washing, cooking, shopping, etc. is just a never-ending grind.

Paid work is what you make it. It can be difficult or stressful; it can also be very satisfying. I work from home so as to be able to look after my lad, and find my work fairly interesting, though I do miss the social side of working with others.