House Price Crash Forum

Where Is Paradise?

JoeDavola

HOLA441

Inspired by the 'London' thread - we've probably done this before on HPC, but where do you think is the best place in the world to live?

With the internet and technological developments over the last decade or so it's possible to travel light and work from any part of the world.

In terms of what makes a place desirable to live in, I'm thinking:

- free/affordable health care (seems an odd thing to think of, but I just read an article about US health costs, and a bit of bad luck can bankrupt you)

- good weather; and well maintained public outdoor areas, e.g. parks or beaches nearby

- affordable housing - I'm moving away from the idea of wanting/needing a 'big' house - I think I could be perfectly happy in a small house as long as the surrounding areas were pleasant to be in

- fresh affordable food (real food i.e. meat, vegetables and fruit)

...anything else? I think one thing we might be lacking here in the UK is any real sense of community, with the only way of getting that being via joining a church. But then again lots of people irritate me so maybe I prefer being isolated ;)

So, where in the world do you think you would be happiest?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

A desert island probably.

I make no excuse that it would definately work for me as I'd still want some 'first world' comforts therefore know I'd have to have the means to sail/fly to mainland every now and then. THere's also the weather problem.

'Work' would involve no 'first world' work however, just tending the land and infrastructure.

HOLA443

Inspired by the 'London' thread - we've probably done this before on HPC, but where do you think is the best place in the world to live?

With the internet and technological developments over the last decade or so it's possible to travel light and work from any part of the world.

- free/affordable health care (seems an odd thing to think of, but I just read an article about US health costs, and a bit of bad luck can bankrupt you)

- good weather; and well maintained public outdoor areas, e.g. parks or beaches nearby

- affordable housing - I'm moving away from the idea of wanting/needing a 'big' house - I think I could be perfectly happy in a small house as long as the surrounding areas were pleasant to be in

...anything else? I think one thing we might be lacking here in the UK is any real sense of community, with the only way of getting that being via joining a church. But then again lots of people irritate me so maybe I prefer being isolated ;)

The land of the long white cloud................. cant wait to return!

HOLA444

Depends upon exactly what you're asking - it seems to be a practical "best" rather than "if I didn't have to worry about practical / money concerns" best.

If I could get the house I wanted (so the affordable housing part is irrelevent) then I would go back to Cumbria, find some nice spot a little bit outside the main tourist areas. Weather isn't a major influence on me. Attractive, quiet surroundings are massively important for me. People not so much, although a bit of community is nice (and it seems to exist in such places). A large village is probably the biggest sort of place I could live in an feel really happy (live in Stockport in reality, so hardly my ideal!)

If it was somewhere where I could carry on with my current income, not sure really.

I suppose you could say I should simply leave the UK so I'm not constantly getting upset at the huge effort being put into trying to spoil as much of it as possible.

HOLA445

Me too. Lived there 4 years. Worked at Manapouri power station for a while, nice area but was chewed to bits by sand flies. So somewhere on the south island a bit drier - central Otago.

HOLA446
HOLA447

+1

NZ, particularly the mainland (South Island), hands down for me. Though housing affordability has become an issue in recent years - and the place where I used to live got knocked by an earthquake a few years back.

Personal commitments dragged me away (to London as it happens) and though I appreciate we should be grown up and philosophical about these things I frequently think about not being there any more and am f**ked off about it.

In second place, Colorado. It's proper snowy in the winter, proper sunny in the summer and it's beautiful. As it's in the US, health insurance could be an issue but Obamacare is going to make everything better, right?

HOLA448

Me too. Lived there 4 years. Worked at Manapouri power station for a while, nice area but was chewed to bits by sand flies. So somewhere on the south island a bit drier - central Otago.

Well one never misses the pesky sand flies

Otago peninsula no sand flies there, but don't tell too many folks..................

HOLA449

+1

NZ, particularly the mainland (South Island), hands down for me. Though housing affordability has become an issue in recent years - and the place where I used to live got knocked by an earthquake a few years back.

Personal commitments dragged me away (to London as it happens) and though I appreciate we should be grown up and philosophical about these things I frequently think about not being there any more and am f**ked off about it.

In second place, Colorado. It's proper snowy in the winter, proper sunny in the summer and it's beautiful. As it's in the US, health insurance could be an issue but Obamacare is going to make everything better, right?

f**cked off with you Nuggets, if you can read that the right way :lol:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

+1

+2 love New Zealand. Even the bad bits are good.

Australia is great, but you just know it's a continent that could kill all the humans on it in a couple of weeks if the power went off in high summer...

HOLA4412

Living Overseas section....

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=72

HOLA4413

Funny that NZ gets such a universal thumbs up here, I found 90s Auckland dull, humid, traffic-choked and looked like a gigantic suburb.

They got all excited about having a few cafés and art galleries but it had a strange soporific effect nonetheless.

The surf on the west coast is too violent and treacherous and the surf on the other coast is unreliable and generally poor,

There are some lovely places for living in the wilds, but you'd really need to be very self-contained there. I remember visiting some people with the barest of connections up in the far North, they were incredibly nice and hospitable, but it occurred to me afterwards that visitors, especially foreign young visitors, were probably an extremely welcome thing.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Northshore in Auckland was a much nicer area of Auckland, but I agree with much of the above

Queenstown, NZ for me.

I'm off to Oz on Saturday for the first time, Sydney for a few days, then driving down to Melbourne with a few stops on the way, there looks to be some pretty fine looking places there too.

HOLA4416

Mexico's Yucatan Costa Maya, so long as you stay just south of the leading edge of development.

At Xpu-Ha in 1996. I swam in a natural sea lagoon teeming with tropical fish then washed down some freshly caught sea bream with a bottle of Dos Equis from the only cafe on a nearly deserted beach while watching waves break on the offshore reef.

all i had for company were a couple of hippy/ vagabond types and some Mexican fishermen.

Went back 4 years later and there was 2 400+ room tourist hotels on the same beach and the lagoon was surrounded by cabins and full of fat american honeymooners bobbing about in orange life preservers.

4328452678_683f229e86_b.jpg

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Paradise is literally a walled garden. You need look no further. I think it is different from 'where would you like to live'. It can be a place of sanctuary, of security in the vilest of cities.

Quite and a point of view I wholeheartedly embrace, and practice

Though sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like that bloke at the end of Brazil; hallucinating that he's broken free, whilst sitting there dribbling in his cell.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived