1970S Larder

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

It's not just food packaging, the West has been in a general cultural stasis since about the early 1980s. Music and clothing have changed very little in the last 30 years, especially compared with the 30 years from 1950-1980.

HOLA444
HOLA445

It's not just food packaging, the West has been in a general cultural stasis since about the early 1980s. Music and clothing have changed very little in the last 30 years, especially compared with the 30 years from 1950-1980.

Post war generation controlling the agenda since the Beatles. It will be interesting to see what happens when they die. Later gens don't seem strong enough to take control in same way.

HOLA446

It looks more early 80s to me than early 70s.

EDIT I really liked Heinz celery soup - can't believe they stopped making it.

I can see two barcodes. Think they only came out in the early 80s.

Celery soup is the easiest soup to make!
1 very small onion
About 6 celery stalks and all the spare foliage
1 very small potato (optional, if you don't have / want cream)
Chop and saute in a little butter and olive oil
Add 450 - 500 ml veg stock
Simmer 30-40 mins
Blend and add cream / creme fraiche if you want.
Here endeth the lesson.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Am I the only HPCer who has items that old in their larder and uses them without a second thought?

When clearing the flat of mr B's old aunt after she died, we found a lot of tins with use by dates over 10 years old. Nothing wrong with them - not rusty or blown. Can't say I'm mad about tinned new potatoes, but waste not want not....

HOLA4410

The first thing that caught my eye was the Bold washing powder. I loved the original smell. I don't know why they have to keep messing things up with lotus flowers and the like.

HOLA4411

Am I the only HPCer who has items that old in their larder and uses them without a second thought?

My brother was round at the weekend and was asking if his jar of harrissa paste would still be good as he didn’t keep it refrigerated after opening. I thought to myself I’m sure I’ve a jar of that somewhere, lo and behold it wasn’t in the fridge but in the cupboard, opened, best before Apr 2013. If a recipe called for it I’d use it again though to be honest I was more in shock that I actually purchased such an item with all the added nasties when I could just as easily made a batch myself :|

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There's a remarkable number of brands on there, whoever it was only ate the best. Heinz soup, John West Salmon, Ambrosia rice pudding etc. etc.

I don't think supermarket brands were quite so well established then.

AND it was in Hove, actually!

LINK to video. (Caution - crap local paper alert.)

HOLA4415

Is this a real story, or just a well placed ad?

There's a remarkable number of brands on there, whoever it was only ate the best. Heinz soup, John West Salmon, Ambrosia rice pudding etc. etc.

April fool? Somehow the cupboard doesn't look that vintage (as others have mentioned), even the cooking oil looks like a modern olive or polyunsaturated type. It all looks very staged doesn't it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I can see two barcodes. Think they only came out in the early 80s.

Mid 70s in the US but much later over here, I'd guess that some but not all products were barcoded in the late 1970s even if no-one actually used them, apparently 70% of products were coded by 1982 since so few are visible I'd say maybe a bit earlier than that.

The biggest clue that I can see is the 1.5p off the can of drinking chocolate and 6p off the jars of coffee. The ONS publish a table of historic food and drink prices, we might be able to use those to estimate the year when that would've been a worthwhile offer.

Drinking chocolate isn't in the basket but I'm going to assume that it retailed for approximately the same as loose tea (which it roughly does today). Assuming that's a 250g can it would've cost 26p in 1976 but a whopping 54p in 1977, 1.5p equates to 5% off, which for me seems to date that to 1976/77.

On the coffee side I hope those are 250g jars otherwise this isn't going to work at all. That would've cost 115p in 1976 but 235p in 1977, 6p off 115p is about 5% again.

Does 5% off sound about right to everyone? If 2.5% sounds more reasonable then we're talking any time between 1977 - 1982.

Or we could just look at the best before dates.

HOLA4420

Spam, and tinned peaches! Oddly enough I was discussing my mother's distressing unadventurous cooking! Hitler has a lot to answer for! I never saw a mushroom, until I went to University! :blink:

HOLA4421

The first thing that caught my eye was the Bold washing powder. I loved the original smell. I don't know why they have to keep messing things up with lotus flowers and the like.

Yes. Not quite the prepper's cache that the article made out if washing powder was on the list. Then again, who wants to face the apocalypse with dirty undercrackers?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived