House Price Crash Forum
davidg

Renters Could Decide Next Election

The number of people who are forced to rent their homes from private landlords because they cannot afford to buy could determine the result of the next general election in dozens of key parliamentary seats, research reveals today. Floating voters in dozens of key seats say their decision will be based on the parties' housing manifestos

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/29/general-election-could-hang-on-how-private-tenants-vote

Housing minister, Kris Hopkins, said: "We are taking action against the small minority of rogue landlords and letting agents, but avoiding excessive red tape, which would force up rents and reduce choice for tenants."

:lol:

Is help to buy a popular policy with renters?

I'm not sure that Osborne's house price boom will buy him as many votes as he might have assumed- too many people are finding that either they or their kids are on the wrong side of the equation.

Vote UKIP.

They might be s***e too but at least it sends out a message.

That's who I will be voting for, they may not win but yes it will send a message to ConLabLibDem that something is not right and the plebs are awakening.

UKIP for me too, for the reasons above.

For me, this government is worse than Labour, because I trusted them. I never forget a betrayal of trust and will not be voting Conservative again while the current leaders are in control.

Is help to buy a popular policy with renters?

I'm not sure that Osborne's house price boom will buy him as many votes as he might have assumed- too many people are finding that either they or their kids are on the wrong side of the equation.

Divide et impera.

I'm not overly convinced. Otherwise there would be louder noise against HTB, and fewer parents playing bomad (because we're a small island and not enough houses.... totally overlooking house prices are dependent upon what people can and will pay for them.)

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/09/whats-good-about-help-to-buy-it-will-make-young-people-conservatives/

article-2498691-1959283E00000578-836_634x400.jpg

Very sad that renters on this thread support UKIP.

The LibDems are the ONLY party with a renter-friendly policy. UKIP are the primitive rump of Thatcherism - big state for self-satisfied people.

Please stop voting against your own interests. It's not too late. But advising you against the stuff you read in the DM will probably yield the same result. Pfff. It's like a death cult.

The LibDems are the ONLY party with a renter-friendly policy. UKIP are the primitive rump of Thatcherism - big state for self-satisfied people.

Please stop voting against your own interests. It's not too late. But advising you against the stuff you read in the DM will probably yield the same result. Pfff. It's like a death cult.

Vote for Nick Smegg? Ha!

Vote UKIP.

They might be s***e too but at least it sends out a message.

It might, but it's got f*** all to do with rent and house prices.

UKIP are the ultimate selfish boomer party. The party for the boomers who hate everyone and want all the cake for themselves.

These days, you don't know what any of them will do when they get into power. At least UKIP are the only party that doesn't have a proven track record of saying one thing and doing the opposite.

Perhaps we should introduce a control system. Every party must make ten unequivocal promises in their manifesto and every six months they must have delivered on one or they are out!

Labour policy; promote HPI via easy credit and low interest rates, prices tripled in 10 years, Conservative policy; promote HPI via taxpayer backed deposits and guarantees plus low interest rates, prices in much of London and SE up 20% on 2007 and UK wide average property prices have reached new highs. LibDems ... irrelevant as they will have a handful of seats at most, ditto UKIP, ditto Greens.

Renters have no one to vote for as no party gives a stuff what renters need or want. In any case most MPs would not wish to speak to their tenants as they do not need their votes, bad enough (as an MP) having to travel second class rail and share a carriage with the plebs, even if the plebs own their own house.

This.

It would be nice to believer there is some structural change with older parents annoyed at the expensive/unstable housing outlook, buying/renting for their children, and renters vote actually carrying some weight, but it's not obvious to me. Policies of contempt (imo) with HTB, backed by all parties, as I see it.

A friend's parents, the mother a forever housewife, the father on edge of retirement, recently upsized to a 5-bedroom house at £500,000. Double garage with granny-flat above. One reason being so the 'family can come to stay with them at Christmas and other events'. Like a handful of times a year, and another expense for their adult children (who have their own young children) to even get there.

Just no clue whatsoever, to the difficult situation their 3 children are in, although 2 of them home-owners of small terraces with big mortgages and the other a renter, living 150 miles away. Too many see only what they want to see, their own positions of "what it's worth" being a real comfort to them. Way too many family houses in the UK under-occupied by older parents. Stubborn older owners not coming to market, even when lottery-jackpot HPI wins on offer for homes they bought years ago x100, and have the gall to complain about the cost of living.

There are millions more renters, let’s give them a voice

Posted by Electoral Reform Society 15th February 2013

In the Shelter policy team we spend a lot of time thinking about how to get renting up the political agenda. Four in ten of the people who come to Shelter for housing advice rent privately and the number of renters is increasing rapidly as more and more families find themselves unable to buy a home. There are now more than 9m renters in England – which ought to be enough to get some serious political attention.

One problem we face is that renters are less likely to vote than home owners – so why should politicians care about them?

Private renters are historically less likely to vote than home owners (Source: Ipsos Mori)

blog-graph-shelter.jpg

Why is this? Evidence suggests that the two main factors are demographics and the lack of stability in the sector. Renters are 11 times more likely to move home each year than those with a mortgage. If you don’t expect to be able to stick around due to short contracts and rent rises you might wonder why bother registering or voting?

Low registration and turnout shouldn’t just be a worry for Shelter: it’s a problem for our democracy. If the growing proportion of renters makes turnout at elections fall, surely those concerned about democratic accountability will demand action to prevent a growing chunk of the electorate falling out of political representation.

Particularly worrying from a renter registration perspective at the moment is the move to Individual Electoral Registration (IER) next year, and constituency boundaries based on electoral registers with falling numbers of renters on them.

In Northern Ireland, where IER was introduced and the annual canvass abolished in 2002, renter registration fell from 63% to 26% within just five years .

.. continues

Sadly, I can't see renters deciding the next election either. Politicians of all stripes have realised that big landowners, mortgage payers, BTL and homeowners are where the votes are. Most people in those groups, stupidly, like high and rising house prices. Further, most politicians have never known what it's like to rent, except maybe in their student days when slumming it probably seemed rather novel and exciting, a bit like their gap year in Goa.

They are all utterly out-of-touch with the average renter on the street and have demonstrated time and time again they will happily shaft the renting classes in favour of the landlording ones.

Vote for UKIP if you think you'd like to send a message, but don't be too surprised if it results in the main parties cherry picking UKIP's nastier policies while leaving any more progressive ones.

Personally, I shall be abstaining as usual. Turning my back on the whole farce will be only message I'll be sending.

Let them vote for another rentier party then. Even the UKIP housing spokesman is a rentier and has said the green belt is sacred.

I won't be voting (again).

Generation Rent gaze wistfully from the window of their damp-ridden 2up 2 down AST in Salford, hoping one day their baby will live in a more equal society where homes aren't simply pensions for the Tory rentier classes.

_73903844_021710592-1.jpg

Guest spp

A very renter-friendly party...the EU would be our landlord!

Give it up...

A very renter-friendly party...the EU would be our landlord!

Give it up...

Private tenants have a much better deal in many other EU countries than they do in the UK. The UK housing stock is a cramped, crumbling and expensive joke. If the EU wants to send us a few directives about housing, they are more than welcome to do so as far as I'm concerned. British voters and politicians have completely failed on this issue.

Private tenants have a much better deal in many other EU countries than they do in the UK. The UK housing stock is a cramped, crumbling and expensive joke. If the EU wants to send us a few directives about housing, they are more than welcome to do so as far as I'm concerned. British voters and politicians have completely failed on this issue.

Spot on.

Just about the only legislation worth having (for the 99%) has come from the EU, which is why the 1% hate them so much.

It's quite unacceptable that these renters, people without a proper share in our great property-owning democracy, should be allowed to influence the outcome of an election and possibly affect the future value of properties belonging to Hard-Working Homeowners.

The solution is simple. The right to vote should be taken away from tenants of all kinds and restricted only to homeowners.

People tell me that I'm slightly odd...

itsarandomworld

Spot on.

Just about the only legislation worth having (for the 99%) has come from the EU, which is why the 1% hate them so much.

British democracy has ended up in a sick situation in which the majority of voters have houses and want them to be as expensive as possible for people who don't have them. It's abuse of a minority by the majority via the ballot box.

There are two ways out of this. Either the electorate changes its collective mind (e.g. via intellectual enlightenment of existing voters or demographic turnover of pro-HPI older voters being replaced by anti-HPI young ones), or the decision is taken out of the electorate's hands by non-democratic forces (e.g. EU legislation, market forces, civil unrest).

The solution is simple. The right to vote should be taken away from tenants of all kinds and restricted only to homeowners.

If you follow the mainstream media you'd think we were already there. Lost count of the number of times I've seen a non-housing article in which the journalists referred to "homeowners" being affected by an issue which affects everybody regardless of tenure. Apparently tenants don't experience aircraft noise, crime, floods etc.

British democracy has ended up in a sick situation in which the majority of voters have houses and want them to be as expensive as possible for people who don't have them. It's abuse of a minority by the majority via the ballot box.

While that is a consequence I do not believe it is the intent of most homeowners - they are too unthinking.

Most homeowners simply want their house to be as valuable as possible as it is the only way they think they can accumulate 'wealth, as they are seemingly, incapable of saving. A 'valuable' house also satisfies those whose 'status' is achieved by materialistic comparison to others

There are a few who like to restrict supply of housing, making it expensive. In order to keep most people fighting over home ownership it therefore suits to inculcate the belief that renters are lesser mortals.

Edited by LiveinHope

I don't believe renters will have any effect on the result of the next election.

The problem is quite simple, a lot of renters are either young so won't bother to vote or political sedentary so will just vote the same as they always do.

The political classes know this and so can continue to ignore renters and wider housing issues.

The UKs housing problems are a national disgrace.

Though UKIP have many faults a vote for them might make the established political classes wake up.

It's quite unacceptable that these renters, people without a proper share in our great property-owning democracy, should be allowed to influence the outcome of an election and possibly affect the future value of properties belonging to Hard-Working Homeowners.

Oh, but it frequently is. We're lower than a convict (or would have been, if that story hadn't turned out to be a red herring).

Guest spp

Should make for a nice social housing bill come retirement for all the millions of renters?