House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Really Is Going Down The Pan!

I dont think they will ever enforce conditionality on people in work,they wont have the resource.I do think your right that UC will be scrapped for families and they will do something with tax credits.Probably limit to two children,lower the allowed earnings etc.Basic citizens income is the only long term answer to welfare,getting there is another matter.

Remember that for self employed they will be expected to be earning NMW for 35 hours after 12 months. I can't see how you would have separate rules for S/E and Zero Hour contractors unless I'm misunderstanding something.

There is not a huge amount of difference between being self employed and a zero hour employee, except as the former you have freedom to contract.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those will be the ex-Tescoteers used to fannying around with their vouchers at the checkout! The rule is you put stuff back in the trolley and then put in bags later at those worktops. Smart.

Lots of peeps in my near lidl use blue ikea bags in the bottom of the trolley ( inc. me) just whip through the checkouts , heave the bag onto the shoulder at the exit and dump the trolley back on the way out for the £1 so you don't have to walk it back and dump it in the boot , easier at the other end when you get home too ....straight into the kitchen in one go ! Job done

Shopping used to take and age with a seeming trek from various product sections in the massive sheds ,but Lidl its a quick 7 isles with a ponder over the weird bits and its out , without that faint sense of feeling aggrieved when looking at the receipt ....( I always have a quick check , have been caught out in the past with erroneous BOGOFs or finished deals that the tickets have not changed but the epos has )

Remember that for self employed they will be expected to be earning NMW for 35 hours after 12 months. I can't see how you would have separate rules for S/E and Zero Hour contractors unless I'm misunderstanding something.

There is not a huge amount of difference between being self employed and a zero hour employee, except as the former you have freedom to contract.

Thats true and an interesting point.The regulations count 0 hours contracts as employed,as there is a contract.Its an area worth watching within UC though because you could argue its massive discrimination against the self employed.Unless they dont want people self employed,the plebs anyway.

I am now a driver for one of the large supermarket companies. I find it amazing the hours some of these workers do. Today I meet with someone who had finished work at half past midnight and was back up at 5 to be at work for 6. This is what I am hearing every day.

I am now a driver for one of the large supermarket companies. I find it amazing the hours some of these workers do. Today I meet with someone who had finished work at half past midnight and was back up at 5 to be at work for 6. This is what I am hearing every day.

I used to do the same for Safeway, then Morrisons was made redundant in 2006. Wages were good back then we had the contracts to back it up but in the drive to lower wage costs they built new distribution centres in cheaper areas and employed you know who on much worse off t&c and wages. Back then for driving a big wagon for 48 hours a week Monday to Friday day shift (I was contracted to do 13 Saturdays a year as overtime) I was on close to £36,000 annum. Blokes on perm night were close to 50. Shows how early I got in when I landed a Mon - Fri shift. In this industry those simply do not exist any-more.

I had done it for the best part of 20 years when I got out so I was ready to jump ship anyway The large redundancy payout was icing on the cake.

Back then and I suppose they still do the same today they employed a lot of students and managed their hours around their study times. At a cost of course like signing away your rights under the Working time Regulations.

Not sure how true this is but Safeway was an attractive buy for Morrisons as they already owned most of their real estate (stores sites) therefore it was easy for them to get funding for the purchase.

Back then the rumour was the rest of them by and large lease their properties. Not sure how true this is today as clearly Tesco are sitting on a large landbank so they must own a fair few.

Of course another spin off benefit from this is they may be forced to sell on that land to raise much needed finance.

Again, I feel sorry for the staff, most of whom I have found to be helpful.

But looking at the big picture, trouble couldn't happen to a nicer firm - one that bullies local planning authorities into granting totally inappropriate planning consents because the LAs fear the legal and financial power of Tescos, bullying suppliers, destroying high streets and running a coach and horses through previous Sunday trading laws by breaking them and just cooly paying the fines.

They have a pure bankster mentality.

I remember about a decade ago a colleague at another local authority was prosecuting them for health and safety offences which included an employee losing a finger. One of their tactics was to ring him up and tell him they would ruin his career.

They lost and were fined 78K

Could the zero hour contracts be gamed? I give you a 0hr contract and you do the same for a mate. Said mate then gives me a 0hr contract and none of us have to sign on.

Yes.very easily and it will be.Similar to the childcare scam pulled now where someone sets up as a childminder but doesnt do any caring.The mothers simply claim the tax credits and they split it.One case i saw (still doing it) she was getting £2800 a month in tax credits for working 16 hours in her uncles chip shop.She didnt really work there of course.

Back on topic the likes of Tesco will want everyone on 0 hours.It transfers all the risk of employing someone onto the taxpayer.

It was the likes of them that got Brown to pitch tax credits at 16 hours.They told him it would mean single parents would then move into work then go full time.They didnt tell him nobody would go full time for an extra £15 a week.

There might even be input into UC as the 0 hour rule is golden for them.

I`ve just had a look at the site `very little helps` again. They`re still panicking ....

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=13634.645

There`s a comment from someone who`s had a `leaving interview` at head office.

She was told that " the worst is yet to come"!!

I think we can guess what that means.

It would help if someone, anyone could give a definative definition of what it is to be employed.

I'm still pondering on the deeply existential question that arises when an employee on a zero hours contract is offered zero hours of work- are they at this point employed or unemployed?

In theory this could represent a dilemma for the employee since if he voluntarily quits his job he will not qualify for benefits- but if he keeps it he will starve. :lol:

Zero Hours contracts are the result of low or unskilled work and too many people competing for the available jobs.

It really does turn into a race to the bottom. Dog eat dog...

No wonder the CBI and the Corporations are all for no action on immigration or exit from Europe.

This is the unseen damage uncontrolled immigration does and of course the one that no party will recognise.

It will spread of course slowly but surely up the chain as more people become qualified/trained as soon as supply outstrips demand then zero hours working will appear in places we can only just imagine.

The future will be a world of nil sick pay and nil holiday pay. You get paid for what you work you do and that is it.

I remember about a decade ago a colleague at another local authority was prosecuting them for health and safety offences which included an employee losing a finger. One of their tactics was to ring him up and tell him they would ruin his career.

They lost and were fined 78K

Not surprised, when I used to practice food standards enforcement I received a complaint regarding date expired ham for a consumer. I visited the very large store spoke to the manager and informed him that intended to check every single perishable food item in the store. During the inspection I had two managers follow me trying to intimidate and interfere with the inspection.

I was quite upset I didn't find anything wrong :angry:

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

I'm still pondering on the deeply existential question that arises when an employee on a zero hours contract is offered zero hours of work- are they at this point employed or unemployed?

In theory this could represent a dilemma for the employee since if he voluntarily quits his job he will not qualify for benefits- but if he keeps it he will starve. :lol:

Ahhh... Cameron's Paradox..

Zero Hours contracts are the result of low or unskilled work and too many people competing for the available jobs.

No wonder the CBI and the Corporations are all for no action on immigration or exit from Europe.

This is the unseen damage uncontrolled immigration does and of course the one that no party will recognise.

It will spread of course slowly but surely up the chain as more people become qualified/trained as soon as supply outstrips demand then zero hours working will appear in places we can only just imagine.

The future will be a world of nil sick pay and nil holiday pay. You get paid for what you work you do and that is it.

ie a result of big VI's with connections to government getting what they want, that is the sheer amount of unskilled labour from immigration and the loss of real jobs elsewhere. This in their minds is the ideal world. Lets hope it spreads across all industries, that will kill house prices all round and leave these smarmy arrogant C-words wondering who will shop with them. Apparently wallmart in the USA who is a notoriously bad employer by all accounts wanted the min wage to rise so that people could afford to shop with them, they couldn't of course see the irony in that.

In Australia where I now live, wages in IT have dropped quite a lot in the bigger areas due to the unprecedented import of 'skilled' workers from all over the world, with lots of people chasing few jobs and employers still screaming to a stupid government 'Desperate shortage!" Not many of these IT jobs will support buying the local overpriced housing that we also enjoy. Meantime lots of experienced workers are not getting reemployed at any price as the employers are more impressed with the new arrivals with newly printed degrees and conjured up experience (massive fraud going on there also)

employed or unemployed?

You are technically 'owned' by them. You must be available at all times at zero hours notice and to be able to work as many hours as they want. A girl who was living with us 2 years ago in London town got stuck with this, they invited her in to work 7 days a week for 3 hours per day, any time from 8am up till 10 pm at a moments notice, The day she was going to a wedding and said 'no' she went 2 weeks without work, worse they kept telling her 'tomorrow' and then cancelling every day. She eventually found another crap job but with more certainty than the big supermarket.

ps she had a degree in IT but no luck, was a decent, intelligent hard working girl too.

Not surprised, when I used to practice food standards enforcement I received a complaint regarding date expired ham for a consumer. I visited the very large store spoke to the manager and informed him that intended to check every single perishable food item in the store. During the inspection I had two managers follow me trying to intimidate and interfere with the inspection.

I was quite upset I didn't find anything wrong :angry:

Little did they know, quick as a flash you could've put them both on their arses..

Pffft we have no where near the same levels of inequality as the 1920s... In the 1920s the bottom 25% were starving to death, the top 5% had staff... today no-one is starving to death and the top 5% earn 50k PA and can barely afford to live in london....

see www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16545898 et al.

The disgrace of the "left" is aligning themselves wholesale with big business on low skilled immigration. A price worth paying for the borderless utopia.

Not that the "right" are any better mind. Both are fully supportive of the banker's desires to sell the same piles of bricks for more and more.

All 3 supermarkets - TSCO, SBRY and MRW - seem to have stagnated in terms of share price. Lots of sells from banks on MRW. I am surprised how well Sainsbury's share price is holding up considering their wafer thin margins and debt.

Lower share prices only mean good for the customers perspective.....high share prices mean higher customer prices and low customer value.....

Customers should have a share in group profits it is only fair. ;)

Lower share prices only mean good for the customers perspective.....high share prices mean higher customer prices and low customer value.....

Customers should have a share in group profits it is only fair. ;)

Well, if people knew what was happening Tesco shares would have fallen through the floor?

It seems to me that the impact of restructuring will last only about a year followed by more restructuring etc. etc.