House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Caffeine In Tea Vs Coffee

People often tell me that there is just as much caffeine in tea as there is in coffee. This seemed to become a popular belief starting about 20 years ago.

But that's certainly not my subjective experience based on how they make me feel.

I'm pretty sure I read something not long ago that said that tea leaves and coffee beans actually do have almost the same caffeine content. But with tea only about a quarter as much comes out into the brew as it does with coffee. This is something I could easily believe as it chimes with how they make me feel. And it would square the circle.

Does anyone have a view either subjective or scientific?

People often tell me that there is just as much caffeine in tea as there is in coffee. This seemed to become a popular belief starting about 20 years ago.

But that's certainly not my subjective experience based on how they make me feel.

I'm pretty sure I read something not long ago that said that tea leaves and coffee beans actually do have almost the same caffeine content. But with tea only about a quarter as much comes out into the brew as it does with coffee. This is something I could easily believe as it chimes with how they make me feel. And it would square the circle.

Does anyone have a view either subjective or scientific?

No knowledge either way but I always assumed that coffee must have another ingredient that combines with the caffeine to have a greater effect.

Coffee definitely seems more stimulating to the guts as well.

Assuming the tea is of good quality, it should contain some theanine, which, combining with caffeine, makes a better stimulating tool than coffee. In reality most of us drinks sh.t tea.

Assuming the tea is of good quality, it should contain some theanine, which, combining with caffeine, makes a better stimulating tool than coffee. In reality most of us drinks sh.t tea.

Theanine is calming

Contrary to popular belief tea does not contain more caffeine than coffee, it actually contains about half the amount compared to instant coffee and a third of filter coffee.

http://www.tea.co.uk/tea-and-caffeine

(obviously depends on cup size and how long you brew the tea leaves)

I agree with all of that bar the opening; does anybody really think there's more caffeine in a cup of tea?

If so then they either don't drink it or stew it for ten minutes.

Contrary to popular belief tea does not contain more caffeine than coffee, it actually contains about half the amount compared to instant coffee and a third of filter coffee.

http://www.tea.co.uk/tea-and-caffeine

(obviously depends on cup size and how long you brew the tea leaves)

Incorrect (as you've written it there!) - weight for weight tea contains more caffeine than coffee, but you use far more (by weight) to make a cup of coffee, and so cup-for-cup there is obviously more caffeine in a cup of coffee.

At least, that's what QI assures me...

A cup of coffee is much stronger in caffeine than tea is.

Incorrect (as you've written it there!) - weight for weight tea contains more caffeine than coffee, but you use far more (by weight) to make a cup of coffee, and so cup-for-cup there is obviously more caffeine in a cup of coffee.

From a (very) rough calculation it seems it takes 3g of tea to make a cup of tea but 15g to make a cup of coffee.

So it's easy to see how the myth could have started. Coffee industry types could say that coffee contains less caffeine than tea and convince themselves they're not lying - because they didn't actually say a "cup" of coffee contains less.

From a (very) rough calculation it seems it takes 3g of tea to make a cup of tea but 15g to make a cup of coffee.

So it's easy to see how the myth could have started. Coffee industry types could say that coffee contains less caffeine than tea and convince themselves they're not lying - because they didn't actually say a "cup" of coffee contains less.

And how much ends up out of the leaves or beans and into the drink is another factor.

Not if your wife is French though. In that case it takes 227g of coffee to make a cup, which you then don't drink. My wife thinks that the big packets of ground coffee are single-use sachets.

in coffee you have from 70-150mg per 100ml, maybe even more in some filter coffees.

Tea, Decaff coffee and coke all have around 8-10mg per 100ml

I don;t know why so many people say there is as much caffeine in tea!