House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Ebola Virus Outbreak Big Thread = Merged

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-25/ebola-virus-outbreak-spreads-canada

The last few days has seen a sudden jump in the news headlines about one of the deadliest viruses known to man. Ebola haemorrhagic fever has prung up in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone but now, as BBC reports, a man is in hospital in Canada with symptoms of a haemorrhagic fever resembling the Ebola virus, a health official has said.

"Ebola" is in the news again...

*GUINEA CONFIRMS EBOLA AS SOURCE OF EPIDEMIC, AFP REPORTS

*LIBERIA SAYS FIVE DIE OF EBOLA IN NORTH OF COUNTRY

*TWO SUSPECTED CASES OF EBOLA IN SIERRA LEONE, AFP SAYS

How long before we have a pandemic of something nasty? The large populations centres of China / slums of India seem prime breading grounds for a really nasty pandemic to spread rapidly.

How likely is Ebola to be a culling culprit? Although I guess a flu pandemic is going to be the more likely culprit.

How long before we have a pandemic of something nasty? The large populations centres of China / slums of India seem prime breading grounds for a really nasty pandemic to spread rapidly.

How likely is Ebola to be a culling culprit? Although I guess a flu pandemic is going to be the more likely culprit.

It doesn't bear thinking about. Disgusting cell/organ liquefaction. Bleah!:(

I've not been to China, but in India I have seen kids playing in "shit". Biggest problem is diarhoea!, and I can't spell that any better that "ukulele"

:unsure:

I don't know how long it'll be but I think it's inevitable. Ebola, flu etc. I don't know what it'll be. However I think viruses are very very good at surviving and adapting. You only have to think about flu!

Viruses have culled the population in the past and I think it will happen again at some point. Nowadays we have massive population movement over the planet and spreading will be quicker.

Pessimistic view? No. Realistic view? Yes.

More fearmongering by the MSM and interestrateripoff happily plays his part in spreading the FUD... <_<

Did anyone else notice that 8 out of 10 threads in Off-Topic are started by interestrateripoff these days?

He's effectively dictating the discussion topics with his daily flood of new threads, pushing down more interesting threads started by other members.

Off-Topic used to be full of diverse and interesting topics but lately I find it boring with all these 'Daily Mail style' topics (regardless whether they are actually from the DM or from other sources) by interestrateripoff that have really taken over the forum.

I used to come here to read about things that the MSM don't write about, but now 'thanks' to IRRO's daily flood of topics it's just the same topics that the MSM feature.

---

More fearmongering by the MSM and interestrateripoff happily plays his part in spreading the FUD... <_<

Did anyone else notice that 8 out of 10 threads in Off-Topic are started by interestrateripoff these days?

He's effectively dictating the discussion topics with his daily flood of new threads, pushing down more interesting threads started by other members.

Off-Topic used to be full of diverse and interesting topics but lately I find it boring with all these 'Daily Mail style' topics (regardless whether they are actually from the DM or from other sources) by interestrateripoff that have really taken over the forum.

I used to come here to read about things that the MSM don't write about, but now 'thanks' to IRRO's daily flood of topics it's just the same topics that the MSM feature.

---

And your not fearmongering with the 80% of topics in OT are me. I hope you don't teach statistics.

And your not fearmongering with the 80% of topics in OT are me. I hope you don't teach statistics.

Whether it's 50% or 80% is beside the point, the point was that your MSM topics dominate the forum lately.

The trouble with these virus's and their incubation periods, is that they allow sufficient time for an infected person to travel anywhere across the globe by air.

The Tom Clancy Novel "Executive Orders" is a good read, fiction, but a bit close to what could actually happen

:lol::lol::lol:

And he could go comment on my American cops execute homeless man thread, which comes from a non-MSM source.

Keep up the good work IRRO.

You read the Daily Wail, so I don't have to!

I think it is obvious that interestrateripoff is paid to post here. On average 21 posts per day, 365 days per year.

Poor bu66er. Doesn't he get any leave? :unsure:

I think it is obvious that interestrateripoff is paid to post here. On average 21 posts per day, 365 days per year.

No doubt about that, but if he is paid by Fubra (the HPC site owners) to keep the forum lively and interesting then he should listen to criticism, as I doubt Fubra would be happy if he pisses off other members and consequently reduces page views rather than increasing them.

If on the other hand he's paid by the Daily Mail (or some agency acting for the DM and other large newspapers) then I'm surprised that the Mods haven't kicked him off the site yet as I doubt they would tolerate him blatantly abusing HPC for personal profit.

No doubt about that, but if he is paid by Fubra (the HPC site owners) to keep the forum lively and interesting then he should listen to criticism, as I doubt Fubra would be happy if he pisses off other members and consequently reduces page views rather than increasing them.

If on the other hand he's paid by the Daily Mail (or some agency acting for the DM and other large newspapers) then I'm surprised that the Mods haven't kicked him off the site yet as I doubt they would tolerate him blatantly abusing HPC for personal profit.

I would say why don't you count all the posts I make, put the sources in and see which papers etc... comes out on top. However I really wouldn't trust your statistic ability if you think 8/10 OT topics are mine.

However you appear fully happy to be reading and contributing to a thread that you think is pointless and if you note the source for this isn't the DM.

Secondly you do realise what the scroll wheel on a mouse is for? It helps you go up and down the topics listed on the then you can pick the really interesting ones.....

I would say why don't you count all the posts I make, put the sources in and see which papers etc... comes out on top. However I really wouldn't trust your statistic ability if you think 8/10 OT topics are mine.

I don't really care who pays you as long as you reduce the amount of spam-threads you post...

Secondly you do realise what the scroll wheel on a mouse is for? It helps you go up and down the topics listed on the then you can pick the really interesting ones.....

My laptop doesn't have a scroll wheel. :P

Besides that your flood of threads makes other people's threads quickly disappear on the second page and we all know that almost nobody looks beyond the first page of threads.

I don't really care who pays you as long as you reduce the amount of spam-threads you post...

Should I pm you first for quality control to ensure that it meets your "anti-spam" criteria? What happens to ones you reject but actually are interesting?

My laptop doesn't have a scroll wheel. :P

Besides that your flood of threads makes other people's threads quickly disappear on the second page and we all know that almost nobody looks beyond the first page of threads.

I'd suggest a laptop upgrade and get one with a touchscreen, it will make navigating around my posts much easier.

I'd suggest a laptop upgrade and get one with a touchscreen, it will make navigating around my posts much easier.

If you pay for it I'll certainly consider it.

It's not even close to being a potential pandemic until Solitaire joins the thread :)

.......and here I am :P

I have been aware of the 'Ebola' outbreaks for a while but was not sufficiently concerned to post about it. The main four Ebloa strains are not airborne in the sense that seasonal flu is and are much easier to contain. Ebola Reston has a query over it's mode of transmission though, however it's mainly fatal to macaques and does not cause illness in humans even though some have tested positive for antibodies.

One concern for Ebola is that it is now present in pig populations where there are human outbreaks of the virus. Pigs are like a mixing bowl for viruses in that they can carry dual infections of different strains of a particular virus and make new ones. As in the case of influenza which is a very sloppy virus and freely exchanges genetic material between it's strains. That is why there is so much concern about avian flu viruses as they could pick up the transmittability of a seasonal virus with the lethality of a highly pathogenic strain.

I don't know about Ebola, whether it's replication is exact or not. As there are only 5 known strains of Ebola I would assume it's pretty stable but they are certainly keeping a watch on it.

Of more concern right now is H7N9 now in it's decline of the second wave. 401 cases logged over two years, of which some 375 are confirmed with 114 fatalities (as of 28th Feb 2004) compared with H5N1 650 confirmed/386 fatalities over a period of 12 years and in decline overall at this time.

There have been a few clusters of human to human transmission of H7N9 from close contact but humans can have dual infections too. So who knows what will happen in the years ahead.

There also seems to be an "Interestrateripoff's law" which states that any story that is substantially about sexual perversion and which appears in the Daily Wail (and especially one that involves either accidental genital mutilation/amputation or a female schoolteacher shagging a male pupil) becomes the subject of a thread here.