House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Drunk In Tehran: The Islamic State’S Secret Party Scene

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/drunk-in-tehran-the-islamic-states-secret-party-scene-9217419.html

“Have a shot of tequila first, cheer up!” Shahriyar tells guests gathered at his luxury apartment in Tehran.

His girlfriend, Shima, said they party every weekend. “Shahriyar has one rule: bring your booze! We drink until morning,” she said on a FaceTime call, as lights flashed to rap music in the background.

Despite the ban on alcohol and frequent police raids, drinking in Iran is widespread, especially among the wealthy. Because the Shia-dominated Muslim state has no nightclubs, it all takes place at home, behind closed doors.

Some of the alcohol is smuggled in, but many resourceful Iranians make their own.

“My friends and I routinely gather to stamp down on grapes in my bathtub,” said Hesam, a 28-year-old music teacher in Tehran, asking to be identified only by his first name. “It’s fun, a cleansing ritual almost.”

Some take considerable pride in their results. “I have a friend who makes wine for his own consumption but gives me around 30 bottles per year as well,” said 36-year-old Mousa, speaking from the central city of Isfahan.

Only members of religious minorities – Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians – are allowed to brew, distil, ferment and drink, in their homes, and trade in liquor is forbidden. Catholic priests make their own wine for Mass.

Nice to see people sticking two figures up to tyranny.

Iran is surprisingly liberal and Iranian girls are absolutely stunning.

As liberal as our staunch ally in the war on extremism, Saudi Arabia?

As liberal as our staunch ally in the war on extremism, Saudi Arabia?

Outside of compounds, which apparently have a blind eye turned, there is no way Saudi Arabia would allow Christians to brew booze. In fact they have a hard enough time with Christians full stop.

Funny old country Iran. The reality seems to be very different to the intolerant 3rd world backwater portrayed in the UK media.

My mum went to Iran a few years ago (she would have been late 50s at the time). Wore a headscarf etc. and still managed to get 'invited' to a station by the religious police to justify what she was up to, possibly because she was with a younger man at the time (another tourist she'd befriended). They let her out after a couple of hours.

So she headed off to Persepolis where there are loads of stone carvings of man-on-man love action. It's not far from the city of Shiraz, from which my favourite wine grape takes its name :lol: .

Iran's apparently a young country, and the vast majority of its young people couldn't give a monkeys about the Ayatollahs prescriptions for wholesome living. TBH I reckon sanctions, including them on the Axis of Evil etc. is counterproductive. Just let the demographics run their course.

TBH I reckon sanctions, including them on the Axis of Evil etc. is counterproductive. Just let the demographics run their course.

Yes - but suppression is a reaction to that course. Futile tomorrow, effective today. Look at the housing market and welfare system in the UK. The lost opportunity can't be recovered.

I don't know if anyone has read Robert Fisk's book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-War-Civilisation-Conquest-Middle/dp/1841150088/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395883519&sr=1-1&keywords=the+great+war+for+civilization' rel="external nofollow">
but it contains a mind-numbingly depressing account of the early days of the Islamic Revolution. Mass torture and mass killing, sometimes in too great a detail. The impression you get is that there was nothing particularly religious about it - it was just the sort of brutality carried out by the Bolsheviks in Russia, and since they were 'better' at the brutality than anyone else, the Ayatollah's men stayed in power against the odds.
It was all justified as Allah's will of course.
Having said that, Fisk details the 'human wave' tactics of the war against Iraq, which would probably have not been possible unless there was some religious underpinning for 'martyrdom.' So Iran both got destroyed and saved by an unspeakably cruel and sordid religious and ideological outlook.

Yes - but suppression is a reaction to that course. Futile tomorrow, effective today. Look at the housing market and welfare system in the UK. The lost opportunity can't be recovered.

I am drunk, but I'm not sure what you're saying. Yeah the UK's screwed up, and as a mid-30s bloke I'm a prime member of the buttraped generation, but meh. I'll just wait it out, or leave. I wouldn't want the rest of the world to, say, impose sanctions on the UK just because it treats its young people like shit.

I am drunk, but I'm not sure what you're saying. Yeah the UK's screwed up, and as a mid-30s bloke I'm a prime member of the buttraped generation, but meh. I'll just wait it out, or leave. I wouldn't want the rest of the world to, say, impose sanctions on the UK just because it treats its young people like shit.

The sanctions will only come when it treats its gay young people like shit. :ph34r:

The sanctions will only come when it treats its gay young people like shit. :ph34r:

:D In the UK you can ****** who you want...as long as your parents don't mind you doing it under their roof! :P

:D In the UK you can ****** who you want...as long as your parents don't mind you doing it under their roof! :P

Mmm . . . I think they're going to outlaw heterosexuality soon. :blink: