House Price Crash Forum

Butter Or Margarine?

SpectrumFX

HOLA441

As always the press spin it a bit, that's why it's a good idea to read the original research :)

Their actual conclusion is that "Current evidence does not clearly support cardiovascular

guidelines that encourage high consumption of polyunsaturated

fatty acids and low consumption of total saturated fats."

However you look at it this is a long way away from butter bad, margarine good.

I know, and that's not what I said (though it may be what advertisers imply).

The article is certainly not a green light to eat lots of saturated fat, as some here seem to imagine. What it is saying is that other forms of fat don't appear to be much better for you. In other words, there's not much to be gained by, for example, replacing butter with margarine. It says nothing about the absolute risks of eating large amounts of fat, saturated or otherwise.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Had nothing but Aldi Salted butter since 2008. And still under £1 a 250g block today.

I switched to this from Lurpak because of price and I actually prefer it. I don't think it's any better than Morrisons but it's 40p cheaper. I'd grown up on and eaten Lurpak for over 40 years - Lurpak is a cultured/lactic butter but now I prefer the more usual sweetcream butter like Aldi's.

HOLA443

Can't stand the texture or taste of any marg, even the olive oil or "buttermilk" ones. Had nothing but Aldi Salted butter since 2008. And still under £1 a 250g block today.

One fresh bread made in the breadmaker using Aldi Strong white flour (75p for a 1.5kg bag) lovely fresh bread with just a little salt and sugar in and creamy slated butter cant be beaten.

M

I had been buying M&S Jersey butter for £1.29 a pack but it has shot up almost weekly since Christmas to £1.70 and no idea if it will stop there... so I am looking for alternatives now.

I will check the Aldi butter out - always good to get a recommendation.

HOLA444

Exactly. I was very surprised to learn just how flawed the influential Ancel Keys '7 Countries' study was, he just selected the data points (of a 22 country dataset) to prove his blood lipid/heart disease hypothesis. and nobody called him up on this shameful ruse, astounding!

http://innatebodybootcamp.com/myths-about-saturated-fat/

Yep, the whole Ancel Keys thing has been a disaster for our health IMPO.

HOLA445

nutritional science isn't science?

No. Indeed, there is no such thing as 'Nutritional Science'.

that i do. read the link i posted on 'post-normal science'. this is a perfect example.

It's an example of how fields with extremely unclean data can go very wrong, especially when there are large commercial concerns with a strong interest in them staying wrong.

HOLA446

Yep, the whole Ancel Keys thing has been a disaster for our health IMPO.

Was he motivated by his overpowering belief in his own theory, trying to make a name for himself as the discoverer of this (bogus) link between cholesterol and heart disease, or were his research findings commissioned?! :huh:

Either way, it stinks.

HOLA447

Was he motivated by his overpowering belief in his own theory, trying to make a name for himself as the discoverer of this (bogus) link between cholesterol and heart disease, or were his research findings commissioned?! :huh:

Either way, it stinks.

Much like the margarine it was trying to peddle, advice which I have always ignored, happily.

HOLA448

This thread reminds me that I was recently looking into which brands of butter were from mostly pasture-fed cows, and it seems that Anchor is no longer exclusively so, as it was when the milk was all from New Zealand (now UK).

Kerrygold is apparently quite good, but again, as with all UK butter I think, the % of pasture feeding Vs grain feed (including GM soy etc!) is dependent on different farmer preferences, farm location and weather in any given year etc.

Some French butters are also apparently quite good on this, but I'm not entirely sure which ones (President?), as are most Jersey butters.

Anyone know of any other brands that use milk from happy pasture-fed cows?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

This thread reminds me that I was recently looking into which brands of butter were from mostly pasture-fed cows, and it seems that Anchor is no longer exclusively so, as it was when the milk was all from New Zealand (now UK).

Kerrygold is apparently quite good, but again, as with all UK butter I think, the % of pasture feeding Vs grain feed (including GM soy etc!) is dependent on different farmer preferences, farm location and weather in any given year etc.

Some French butters are also apparently quite good on this, but I'm not entirely sure which ones (President?), as are most Jersey butters.

Anyone know of any other brands that use milk from happy pasture-fed cows?

i buy the cheapest lidl or tescos cooking butter wrapped in greaseproof paper rather than tinfoil; tastes fine.

my main criterion is how well it spreads from the fridge and this varies from brand to brand. anchor is generally spreadable (as are the cheapies) whereas lurpak and some other pricier labels set hard as a rock.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Glad to see this stuff getting some media coverage. I'm coming slowly to the opinion that there have been concerted efforts to influence several areas of scientific enquiry to ensure results that favour certain big businesses at the expense of public health. If this makes me a tinfoil-hat conspiracist, then so be it.

I agree with your view. Corporations fund a lot of research and I've grown very suspicious of findings.

My approach is to eat food with as little additives and processing as possible therefore it's butter and unhydrogenated oils for me.

I think that the amount of synthetic chemicals in the food chain is a ticking time bomb that is going to be detrimental for public health.

Like you, if this view makes me a tin foil hatter then so be it.

HOLA4415

They've been touting marge for donkeys years. Can will now all agree that scientific research is complete tosh and is only relevant to the agenda of who funds it. But anyway so marge takes a back seat and in comes GM stuff, its totally healthy.

You can't lump all scientific research in together, the first question to ask is "who funded it"

If the research is funded by some vested interest in the industrial food industry, and just happens to have been plugged heavily in the press, then yes its probably tosh.

There is an unfortunate lack of quality reporting on scientific matters even things like the "New Scientist" are pretty rubbish.

HOLA4416

Im back on butter with a vengeance....will not touch hydrogenated fats... and spreads for your blooming generation ? never again. Too many vested interests pushing shite that is there to frighten you into eating it

It's only hydrogenated vegetable oil! What could be wrong with that? As a bit of casual observational amateur science, well butter goes off if you leave out of the fridge, because microbes like it! A modern "spread" will last for some years! Nothing wants to eat it , therefore neither should I? :o:blink:

HOLA4417

You can't lump all scientific research in together, the first question to ask is "who funded it"

If the research is funded by some vested interest in the industrial food industry, and just happens to have been plugged heavily in the press, then yes its probably tosh.

There is an unfortunate lack of quality reporting on scientific matters even things like the "New Scientist" are pretty rubbish.

Free free to illustrate your claims with a few examples.

HOLA4418

It's only hydrogenated vegetable oil! What could be wrong with that? As a bit of casual observational amateur science, well butter goes off if you leave out of the fridge, because microbes like it! A modern "spread" will last for some years! Nothing wants to eat it , therefore neither should I? :o:blink:

The same logic should steer you away from onions, jam, pickled eggs and smoked meats :P

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I read a claim that they can now partially hydrogenate oils in a new way so it doesn't produce trans fats. I can't find anything by Googling. Does anyone know if this is true?

EDIT: I found one answer - which is interesterification - it's a different process to hydrogenation but produces the same results without the trans fats.

HOLA4422

The same logic should steer you away from onions, jam, pickled eggs and smoked meats :P

Oh, I think you are right about pickled eggs! I haven't seen a jar of pickled eggs in a pub for over 15 years, and I think that might have been "up North"!

The difficulty with this "food mania", is one minute we are being told to "go to work on an egg", and "drink a pint of milk a day", and the next minute it's all bad for you! I can't buy a "decent" pint of milk now with the cream at the top, that tweety birds ripped the top off for!

Have you ever seen a ferret "go mad" for an egg? It' their best present ever! I sometimes think animals know what's good to eat and we listen to quangos! :blink:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I read a claim that they can now partially hydrogenate oils in a new way so it doesn't produce trans fats. I can't find anything by Googling. Does anyone know if this is true?

I find that hard to believe! Every hydrocarbon with a double carbon bond will have a TRANS and CIS isomer! Trans-fats are banned in Denmark! Trans-fats occur in nature in small quantities, in animal meat! :(

HOLA4425

I had been buying M&S Jersey butter for £1.29 a pack but it has shot up almost weekly since Christmas to £1.70 and no idea if it will stop there... so I am looking for alternatives now.

I will check the Aldi butter out - always good to get a recommendation.

It's indistinguishable from the branded variety. Go for it!

(Aldi's baked beans are as good as if not better than heinz too.

Archived