House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Striking Teachers

seen just on FB.

Personally I think the teachers have every right to strike but has no one considered how the children on free meals are going to get a decent meal today.

Aren't a lot of school meals provided by external contractors? Presumably the money has already been set aside to pay for meals for today?

edit: in any case teachers don't cook or serve dinners so in theory their striking would not stop the management opening to serve dinners by non-teaching staff.

Edited by ticket2ride

seen just on FB.

Personally I think the teachers have every right to strike but has no one considered how the children on free meals are going to get a decent meal today.

My wife got a text from the school yesterday afternoon at 2PM saying that industrial action was going ahead today and we should not send the kids to school. The day before FFS!! Yet you take the kids out of school on hols and its a 'kin automatic fine.

My wife got a text from the school yesterday afternoon at 2PM saying that industrial action was going ahead today and we should not send the kids to school. The day before FFS!! Yet you take the kids out of school on hols and its a 'kin automatic fine.

My wife sent a suitably snotty email to the head teacher last night giving him 28 days to pay our fine of £60 :D

My wife sent a suitably snotty email to the head teacher last night giving him 28 days to pay our fine of £60 :D

A mass letter sending from every parent to every school would solve the striking problem.

No strikes in school time.

If they claim they work all year then let them strike when the kids aren't in school.

And only count as striking if they actually go and picket.

I tried to take my son off for a two day break with authourised leave this week and they turned me down. Now he is at home as the teachers are striking.

A mass letter sending from every parent to every school would solve the striking problem.

No strikes in school time.

If they claim they work all year then let them strike when the kids aren't in school.

And only count as striking if they actually go and picket.

Why not go further. Ban all strikes. Allow employees to be automatically dismissed for discussing unionization. Hell, authorize the police to use force on any demonstration that might be connected to employment conditions. Why not?

Why not go further. Ban all strikes. Allow employees to be automatically dismissed for discussing unionization. Hell, authorize the police to use force on any demonstration that might be connected to employment conditions. Why not?

How about this one.....

if you feel dissatisfied with your job in any way go get your self another one instead of whingeing.

that's what happens in the real world

YAY FOR THE STRAWMAN WINNER!!

Seriously, if UK schools take the position that taking a child out of school for a day for a family holiday is so damaging that the parents must be fined, how the hell do they justify 'damaging' millions of kids by striking?

Or - as I suspect - is the fining issue a matter of money raising and power trips, and the strikes a toys out the pram moment?

How about this one.....

if you feel dissatisfied with your job in any way go get your self another one instead of whingeing.

Does it?

Anyway, capitalism is better off when there's power available to both labour and capital, otherwise capital gets too greedy.

How about this one.....

This would be the real world of progressive wage deflation, insecurity, zero-hours contracts and severe inequality?

Aren't a lot of school meals provided by external contractors? Presumably the money has already been set aside to pay for meals for today?

edit: in any case teachers don't cook or serve dinners so in theory their striking would not stop the management opening to serve dinners by non-teaching staff.

As you no longer need Qualified Teacher Status to teach in many schools, perhaps the dinner ladies could in fact teach mathematics or English lit. to Timmy and Jocasta?

Whatever happened to all those squaddies Mr Gove suggested might become good teachers?

<sarc>

Filthy striking kommunistas - how very dare they !:ph34r:

</sarc> - for the benefit of those devoid of irony.

Edited by ZeroSumGame

This would be the real world of progressive wage deflation, insecurity, zero-hours contracts and severe inequality?

I would suggest a teachers job is more secure than most and certainly has more pension rights than most.

Inequality is living in a country where many private sector workers have no subsidised pension coming their way and their is a crippling overspend.

We rank so low in European education tables it's a shame we can't import teachers if you ask me.

Only getting a 1% pay rise doesn't really cut it with most people as a bad deal through what has almost been a depression

I tried to take my son off for a two day break with authourised leave this week and they turned me down. Now he is at home as the teachers are striking.

Havn't you heard of dya, er diarh, emm the sh1ts?

Only getting a 1% pay rise doesn't really cut it with most people as a bad deal through what has almost been a depression

Teachers have had a pay freeze for 3 years. Many are not getting even 1%.

I'd have more sympathy for teachers if so many of them were not into BTL.

I couldn't agree more, EVERY teacher I know has BTLs

Teachers have had a pay freeze for 3 years. Many are not getting even 1%.

So what?

If you don't like it get a better job elsewhere which was my original point

I know many people who have had pay cuts and hours reduced who haven't striked

Does it?

Anyway, capitalism is better off when there's power available to both labour and capital, otherwise capital gets too greedy.

Agreed. Be careful what you wish for. Everyone wants other people to behave like robots and just do their jobs for continued less pay and support as capital chooses to invest in areas of greater return. I don't believe in unions per say (as the leadership gets lazy) but certainly there should always be a consolidated labour vote that thinks far more long term than capital does.

As they say no one complains when something bad happens to a small group until that group gets larger and larger and affects you. Then there's no one left to complain on your behalf.

So what?

If you don't like it get a better job elsewhere which was my original point

I know many people who have had pay cuts and hours reduced who haven't striked

Get a better job? Where?

I suppose they could queue around the block for a job at Aldis.

(Double facepalm)