House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuG III

New Boots For My Car

I'm looking at getting some new boots for my car - 205/55 R16 V's they are.

No idea what to get. Last time I bought tyres was ages ago and since then I have had a new (old) car before the tyres needed replacing. Back then it was Michelin if you can afford them or Continentals as a second best.

Dont know about now. How about run flats? They any good?

Thanks!

I'm looking at getting some new boots for my car - 205/55 R16 V's they are.

No idea what to get. Last time I bought tyres was ages ago and since then I have had a new (old) car before the tyres needed replacing. Back then it was Michelin if you can afford them or Continentals as a second best.

Dont know about now. How about run flats? They any good?

Thanks!

They are just rubber round things the MOT station makes you buy! :blink:

It doesn't sound like an "expensive" size!

You have to get the "speed rating!" right! If you have a 150 mph car, 110 tyres will not be accepted by the "plod", if he is bright! ;)

I must be out of touch in motoring circles even though I have licences for pretty much everything out there is that has wheels (and some tracks)

Run flats I presume are tyres that can be driven on when flat?

Call me old fashioned but when I get a flat I change the wheel. Not to do so knackers the tyre anyway and as we know tyres are expensive enough

In all the years I have been driving I can count the numbers of punctures whilst on the move requiring a change of wheel on the fingers of one hand.

When my motor needs new boots I look on the kwik fit website then the national tyres website and see who has got the cheapest ones. Usually this will be a week or two before the MOT is due..:ph34r:

I must be out of touch in motoring circles even though I have licences for pretty much everything out there is that has wheels (and some tracks)

Run flats I presume are tyres that can be driven on when flat?

Call me old fashioned but when I get a flat I change the wheel. Not to do so knackers the tyre anyway and as we know tyres are expensive enough

In all the years I have been driving I can count the numbers of punctures whilst on the move requiring a change of wheel on the fingers of one hand.

When my motor needs new boots I look on the kwik fit website then the national tyres website and see who has got the cheapest ones. Usually this will be a week or two before the MOT is due..:ph34r:

This is one thing - the other being changing light bulbs - that just doesnt seem to happen so much here. Back when I was out in the colonies you would change at least one light bulb every 2nd or 3rd day and count on a puncture once a month or so.

You have to get the "speed rating!" right! If you have a 150 mph car, 110 tyres will not be accepted by the "plod", if he is bright! ;)

My tyre bloke told me it was OK, as long as you install a notice in the car saying, "do not exceed 110 mph".

My car claims to want 150 mph ones or something equally stupid, but you can't get snow tyres rate at that speed (can't think why that might be, seems a major oversight), so to make it legal, you need to install a notice telling you not to exceed the tyre's rated speed.

Run flats produce odd ride/handling characteristics IMO.

I didn't think you were supposed to use run flats without a tyre pressure monitoring system.

They are meant to survive a puncture but they will lose pressure and cannot be driven on indefinitely in that state.

That was my suspicion.....

You also shouldn't install them unless your car has pressure sensors, as run flats can only be run flat for a limited number of miles before they start to fall apart.

You also shouldn't install them unless your car has pressure sensors, as run flats can only be run flat for a limited number of miles before they start to fall apart.

Rules them out then.....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/64390/product-awards-2013-best-summer-tyres

Don't buy Chinese ditchfinders, they are awful in the wet. For a decent saving over the premium brands, Kumho, Falken, and Toyo are worth a look. Sava are Dunlop's budget brand, Barum are owned by continental, Firestone by Bridgestone.

2nd... avoid Wanli, Linglong etc.

My car uses the same size and I went for Uniroyal Rain Sport 3s. Around £65/70 fitted a corner depending on where you go.

Add to that list: Uniroyal, Federal and Vredstein all good 'mid range' tyres.

Oh and if you go for anything decent its going to be V or Y rated, so you'll be fine.

A lot of the guesswork is taken out with the new labelling(although not wear rates).

Falken Ziex Ecorun ZE914 were good on my old car in a similar size 195/65r15.

Camskill have keen internet prices although you have to arrange local fitting yourself.

EDIT2 Camskill Michelin Energy price is very similar to the Falken one so not sure I'd bother to save a couple of quid.

EDIT 3 tidied up errors, was on a smartphone so apologies.

I just get the second cheapest.

Although, I have to say I've noticed my fuel economy drop with the new tyres I have. I'll have to get some bicycle tyres for my car then!

I bought two Falken Tyres for My avensis in february.

They had a competition which I entered and won the cost back.

Competition still on till the end of March.

My tyre bloke told me it was OK, as long as you install a notice in the car saying, "do not exceed 110 mph".

My car claims to want 150 mph ones or something equally stupid, but you can't get snow tyres rate at that speed (can't think why that might be, seems a major oversight), so to make it legal, you need to install a notice telling you not to exceed the tyre's rated speed.

I rarely exceed the speed limit by much, especially in snow,, as I am not from Finland!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/64390/product-awards-2013-best-summer-tyres

Don't buy Chinese ditchfinders, they are awful in the wet. For a decent saving over the premium brands, Kumho, Falken, and Toyo are worth a look. Sava are Dunlop's budget brand, Barum are owned by continental, Firestone by Bridgestone.

Agreed on that! I'm not a racing driver! I think we had the thumbs-up for Kumho a while back! :huh:

I have the same wheel size on my car and it had Michelin Energy tyres as original fitment. Amazing fuel consumption with these tyres but they had horrible wet weather and cold weather grip. Never really let go but never felt ‘planted’ except in hot weather. Replaced them with Dunlop Blue Response and the worse thing about them is the stupid name. They have excellent wet and dry performance with almost no fuel consumption penalty – highly recommended.

A lot of the guesswork is taken out with the new labelling(although not wear rates).

Falken Ziex Ecorun ZE914 were good on my old car in a similar size 195/65r15.

Camskill have keen internet prices although you have to arrange local fitting yourself.

EDIT2 Camskill Michelin Energy price is very similar to the Falken one so not sure I'd bother to save a couple of quid.

EDIT 3 tidied up errors, was on a smartphone so apologies.

The labeling is generated by the manufacturer and is far from scientific or consistent across different manufacturers. I suspect some of the Chinese brands just make up the labels.

The labeling is generated by the manufacturer and is far from scientific or consistent across different manufacturers. I suspect some of the Chinese brands just make up the labels.

Yeah, I am a bit sceptical of the testing but at the same time the low quality brands all seem to have poor results in the main so I was prepared to give the system some credit.

I wouldn't buy outside of a premium or a few midrange manufacturer in any event, maybe a list of premium brands plus Vredestein, Uniroyal, Falken,Kumho. Should give ample scope to find a good tyre at a good price. I look for a wet grip of 'B' or better then try to make a judgement about price/economy and wear rates.

Current household car has Michelin(Energy) summers and Pirelli winters, albeit these were all bought prior to the new labeling system.

The blokes who work at my local garage all use Coopers so I assumed that they knew what they were doing and now do the same.

I think they're fine but as I'm driving normally rather than tearing round a corner at a race track I expect anything would be fine.

The blokes who work at my local garage all use Coopers so I assumed that they knew what they were doing and now do the same.

I think they're fine but as I'm driving normally rather than tearing round a corner at a race track I expect anything would be fine.

US company that owns Avon rubber, formally a UK tyre company. Last Avons I had were manufactured in the UK and have been told some Coopers are UK made.

Yeah, I am a bit sceptical of the testing but at the same time the low quality brands all seem to have poor results in the main so I was prepared to give the system some credit.

I wouldn't buy outside of a premium or a few midrange manufacturer in any event, maybe a list of premium brands plus Vredestein, Uniroyal, Falken,Kumho. Should give ample scope to find a good tyre at a good price. I look for a wet grip of 'B' or better then try to make a judgement about price/economy and wear rates.

Current household car has Michelin(Energy) summers and Pirelli winters, albeit these were all bought prior to the new labeling system.

You change your tyres between summer and winter cycles?

Doesn't everyone? My winter tyres are Continentals; bloody good and much more reassuring than those hard summer compounds.

On my car yes. Vredstein (SnowTrac) winters, Uniroyal (RainSport3) summers...

Girlfriends Yaris stays on Viking (Continental sub-brand) winters all year round as it does limited miles and is easy on its tyres/gets driven slowly...