House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Uber Thin Cable From Ultrium Tape Deck How Do You Put It Back?

I've had to take apart a HP ultrium tape deck as the tape had broke inside it. I've managed to remove the broke tape but in doing so I disconnected a think film like connector and can't figure out how you put it back. I'm sure there's a knack to doing it any one got any tips on how to put the cable back and put the clip back.

I'm sure my tech description is missing the correct terminology but can anyone offer any suggestions about how to get it back together.

I've had to take apart a HP ultrium tape deck as the tape had broke inside it. I've managed to remove the broke tape but in doing so I disconnected a think film like connector and can't figure out how you put it back. I'm sure there's a knack to doing it any one got any tips on how to put the cable back and put the clip back.

I'm sure my tech description is missing the correct terminology but can anyone offer any suggestions about how to get it back together.

sounds like a zif connector:

sounds like a zif connector:

There are lots of designs of these, and the "trick" to unlock the connector varies.

I once had to desolder a connector and install a new one because I couldn't work out how the bloody thing unlocked. I'd been pulling at it, squeezing it, twisting it, until it broke. Then once I had the new one neatly soldered in place, I realised that you just push down on the top of the connector and it opens.

There are lots of designs of these, and the "trick" to unlock the connector varies.

I once had to desolder a connector and install a new one because I couldn't work out how the bloody thing unlocked. I'd been pulling at it, squeezing it, twisting it, until it broke. Then once I had the new one neatly soldered in place, I realised that you just push down on the top of the connector and it opens.

thats deffo a "doh" moment!

The tape broke?! LTO tape (along with all other magnetic tape made since the late 1960s, for that matter), has a polyester base, which will stretch and deform, but shouldn't actually sever.

Assuming that it did stretch and deform as the result of becoming misthreaded and/or a mechanical fault in the cassette, I would not want to just clear the tape out and start again. Even if the fault was in the cassettte, the jam may have pulled the head assembly and/or other components in the threading path out of alignment, meaning that at best it'll be writing data in a slightly misaligned way on the tape (possibly meaning that you'll only ever be able to recover the data from the tape using that specific drive), and at worst it'll chew up other ones.

I would strongly suggest having the drive professionally serviced before using it again.

The tape broke?! LTO tape (along with all other magnetic tape made since the late 1960s, for that matter), has a polyester base, which will stretch and deform, but shouldn't actually sever.

Assuming that it did stretch and deform as the result of becoming misthreaded and/or a mechanical fault in the cassette, I would not want to just clear the tape out and start again. Even if the fault was in the cassettte, the jam may have pulled the head assembly and/or other components in the threading path out of alignment, meaning that at best it'll be writing data in a slightly misaligned way on the tape (possibly meaning that you'll only ever be able to recover the data from the tape using that specific drive), and at worst it'll chew up other ones.

I would strongly suggest having the drive professionally serviced before using it again.

The kit is about 5 years old, I'm more of the opinion to bin it and get a new one. With your comments I think that's the way to go.

I think it severed because someone tried forcing it out rather than leaving it and follow the correct instructions. The only way I could get it to eject was really twist the eject mechanism.

It appears that the small rolling pin the end of the tape is connected too had got stuck in the drive, after removing it I could have removed it without disconnecting the connect but I feared the tape was wrapped around the mechanism so the only way to check was to lift off the circuit board.

If there is a quick release mechanism I fear I may have broke the connector pin. Should have took the service contract out like I said to do and got quotes for.