House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crashmonitor

Germany Vs Uk Gdp Growth (Closer Than You Think)

Since GDP is the be all and end all, certainly for Ed Balls...the answer to life, the universe and everything; I find it incredible we don't have a Euro league table since the General Election published in the media. If someone could google one that would be great, but I can't find one myself.

All I can do is compare us to the ''mighty'' Germany, I reckon we might just shade top spot by 2015 given the Osborne boom debt fest; because surprisingly we are not that far behind even after our disastrous start. On a simple addition of the quarterly totals they come in at 5.0 and we come in at 3.8.

Since they are the fastest growing large nation in the European community, and we are close, Balls' arguments seem a bit outdated and we must be doing better than the European community average.

................................................UK (%)..................................................................Germany(%)

Q3 2010................................................0.6..................................................0.8

Q4 2010.............................................. -0.4..................................................0.4

Q1 2011................................................0.5..................................................1.5

Q2 2011................................................0.1..................................................0.1

Q3 2011................................................0.6..................................................0.4

Q4 2011...............................................-0.1..................................................0.1

Q1 2012................................................0.0..................................................0.7

Q2 2012...............................................-0.5.................................................-0.1

Q3 2012................................................0.7..................................................0.2

Q4 2012...............................................-0.2.................................................-0.5

Q1 2013................................................0.3..................................................0.0

Q2 2013................................................0.7..................................................0.7

Q3 2013................................................0.8..................................................0.3

Q4 2013................................................0.7..................................................0.4

Simple addition (ignoring compound)..3.8....................................................5.0

Edited by crashmonitor

Since GDP is the be all and end all, certainly for Ed Balls...the answer to life, the universe and everything; I find it incredible we don't have a Euro league table since the General Election published in the media. If someone could google one that would be great, but I can't find one myself.

All I can do is compare us to the ''mighty'' Germany, I reckon we might just shade top spot by 2015 given the Osborne boom debt fest; because surprisingly we are not that far behind even after our disastrous start. On a simple addition of the quarterly totals they come in at 5.0 and we come in at 3.8.

Since they are the fastest growing large nation in the European community, and we are close, Balls' arguments seem a bit outdated and we must be doing better than the European community average.

................................................UK (%)..................................................................Germany(%)

Q3 2010................................................0.6..................................................0.8

Q4 2010.............................................. -0.4..................................................0.4

Q1 2011................................................0.5..................................................1.5

Q2 2011................................................0.1..................................................0.1

Q3 2011................................................0.6..................................................0.4

Q4 2011...............................................-0.1..................................................0.1

Q1 2012................................................0.0..................................................0.7

Q2 2012...............................................-0.5.................................................-0.1

Q3 2012................................................0.7..................................................0.2

Q4 2012...............................................-0.2.................................................-0.5

Q1 2013................................................0.3..................................................0.0

Q2 2013................................................0.7..................................................0.7

Q3 2013................................................0.8..................................................0.3

Q4 2013................................................0.7..................................................0.4

Simple addition (ignoring compound)..3.8....................................................5.0

Whats our growth based on I wonder? Government spending or increase in industrial base?

Whats our growth based on I wonder? Government spending or increase in industrial base?

Based on pseudo austerity.....100 billion pound/ 7% deficit still.

However, Labour's campaign has been dominated by the austerity and growth argument, neither of which stand up to scrutiny; especially as we are now the fastest growing advanced economy and will possibly overtake Germany's growth once we get to the final five year analysis.

At the end of the day Tories are mortgaging the grandkid's future but I infer that Ball's would be even more profligate.

Edited by crashmonitor

Or just good old developing country rates of population growth...we've been growing faster population wise than the US the past few years.

Sweatshop subcontinent here we come.

Why doesnt the OP use per capita rates I wonder? Im sure we could grow even faster if we let 10 million slaves in every year.

Or just good old developing country rates of population growth...we've been growing faster population wise than the US the past few years.

Sweatshop subcontinent here we come.

Why doesnt the OP use per capita rates I wonder? Im sure we could grow even faster if we let 10 million slaves in every year.

I had always assumed that there was an adjustment for population growth in the GDP figures, but I could be wrong.

I'm certainly not equating GDP to success, a massive budget deficit and now a private debt fest seem to be what its all about ie. bringing forward future growth for re-election purposes.

However, I was pointing out that it isn't fast enough for Balls who would no doubt throw even more debt at growth. Not content that we are now the fastest growing large advanced economy in the world and perhaps even the fastest growing large European advanced economy over the 5 year tenure of the Tories, once we know the stats in 2015.

Edited by crashmonitor

I had always assumed that there was an adjustment for population growth in the GDP figures, but I could be wrong.

I'm certainly not equating GDP to success, a massive budget deficit and now a private debt fest seem to be what its all about ie. bringing forward future growth for re-election purposes.

However, I was pointing out that it isn't fast enough for Balls who would no doubt throw even more debt at growth. Not content that we are now the fastest growing advanced economy and perhaps even the fastest growing large European advanced economy once the final 2010-2015 analysis is in

They adjust for inflation (another reason, to doubt our figures, maybe the krauts are more honest with inflation reporting) not pop-growth unless it says per capita though.

Balls probably wont say anything because a) he lies about inflation too, and 2) he likes mass immigration too.

Balls talks out of both sides of his mouth at once anway. Half the time he's going on about 'punishing austerity', half the time about the 'constant increase in debt'

Which is it balls, is the money supply going up or down?

BTW, thats not to say I think that the germans have been anymore sensible. If you're going to run a trade surplus, at least do it with trade partners with a future, not the dying, shrinking EU states...all they can offer in return are pieces of paper that will never get honoured. Course, this myopic EU-centric view all our centre-left to centre-right politicians have make it incredibly hard to do otherwise.

BTW, thats not to say I think that the germans have been anymore sensible. If you're going to run a trade surplus, at least do it with trade partners with a future, not the dying, shrinking EU states...all they can offer in return are pieces of paper that will never get honoured. Course, this myopic EU-centric view all our centre-left to centre-right politicians have make it incredibly hard to do otherwise.

they have been.

look at the investment figures from the likes of brazil/china etc from germany versus UK.

Balls' arguments seem a bit outdated and we must be doing better than the European community average.

That's probably why they had to switch from "flatlining GDP" to the "cost of living crisis" as their main criticism (more than a year ago I think).

Edit: deleted the rest

Edited by oldsport

So we can add

inflation subjectivity

population growth

deficit spending

imputed rents

selling our country to china/saudi/russia to plug the trade deficit

etc etc

As someone else on here said a while back, it should stand for 'grossly deceptive propaganda'

An honest politician would measure economic wellbeing via purchasing power and unemployment v employment.