House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Holiday In New York

Going to Manhattan for a couple of weeks soon. Thought I'd ask the HPC-ers for reccomendations of places to go/things to do.

Just want to spend a couple of weeks somewhere new, get the feel of New York. Take things as they come as opposed to being in a rush to tick off the big 'sights'. I like standup comedy and live music so would like to check plenty of that out. Might frequent a few bars and try and get lucky (or see how often I can get rejected, why the hell not ;)).

So, any NYC experts on this site who have any reccomendations?

You lucky *******.

I'm a 30 year old single childless man, who was priced out of the housing market in my younger days and as a result has just over £100K saved up.

Given my lack of relationship success so far I'm likely to stay single, but I've decided to have as much fun as I can with my money ;)

Thanks to airBnb, I've found a fantastic room in Manhattan for just under £50 a night.

Now lets help me have some more adventures, safe in the knowledge that I will post up details of my (mis)adventures here for your entertainment :)

Staten Island ferry - I tried it once at night with a few friends. Onshore we had to flee from gunshots and scarpered back to Manhattan.

Little Italy is good. The view to Chinatown from Little Italy is amazing. Wall Street on a Sunday is dead. Try either side of Central Park midtown to see wealth disparity. The Bowery as well.

Generally just walking about the place is interesting.

Mind you, it's probably changed completely since I was there, with poverty driven offshore to Bronx/Queens.

New York is great.

Obviously you need to see the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Central Park (brilliant in Spring) and of course Ground Zero.

Great art and galleries etc - go to the Guggenheim Museum.

Really diverse eating, certainly some of the best food in the world. Also visit the Brooklyn Brewery - top quality craft beer.

I like The Warwick Hotel, good old style US hotel, Bellboys etc - the Beatles also used to stay there,

Also worth a visit to some of the areas like SoHo, perhaps visit the Chelsea Hotel where Sid Vicious killed Nancy.

Now lets help me have some more adventures, safe in the knowledge that I will post up details of my (mis)adventures here for your entertainment :)

Look forward to hearing about it. I've never been to NYC.

With an English accent I imagine you'll do quite well with the laydees over there. It's a different world ;)

Look forward to hearing about it. I've never been to NYC.

With an English accent I imagine you'll do quite well with the laydees over there. It's a different world ;)

Actually, a Northern Irish accent. Dunno if that's better or not ;)

How did you get on in Budapest?

It was great, thanks.

The scale of the Danube river was pretty breathtaking, enjoyed taking a cruise down it. I really liked the way the whole place seemed very 'authentic' architecturally, if that makes any sense. They hadn't ruined it with buildings that didn't fit in with the old ones; it was kinda like going back in time.

Also, most importantly, it had more stunningly attractive women than anywhere I've ever been. By a considerable margin.

I'm a 30 year old single childless man, who was priced out of the housing market in my younger days and as a result has just over £100K saved up.

Given my lack of relationship success so far I'm likely to stay single, but I've decided to have as much fun as I can with my money ;)

Thanks to airBnb, I've found a fantastic room in Manhattan for just under £50 a night.

Don't waste it.

If I ever get the chance to go back it would be nice to find a good excuse to spend time in the Central Library.

When I went (with my wife) everything was brilliant and we only managed to squeeze in about half of the tourist must dos. To go back for a longer period would be great.

Why don't you join a New York dating site before you go. B)

You, my friend, are a genius. I'm gonna register a temporary new york email address and do just that. Had also considered buying a cheap PAYG phone when I arrive there for me to use with anyone I might meet (not that I'm actually expecting to meet anyone).

You, my friend, are a genius. I'm gonna register a temporary new york email address and do just that. Had also considered buying a cheap PAYG phone when I arrive there for me to use with anyone I might meet (not that I'm actually expecting to meet anyone).

Go for it. Just remember that Yankee women take no crap - if you don't come up to scratch, they can just turn on a heel and walk out the bar! Then again, your NORN accent will do the trick.

Oh, and ALWAYS use a condom over there. Some mucky strains of yuck in a big city like NY.

It was great, thanks.

The scale of the Danube river was pretty breathtaking, enjoyed taking a cruise down it. I really liked the way the whole place seemed very 'authentic' architecturally, if that makes any sense. They hadn't ruined it with buildings that didn't fit in with the old ones; it was kinda like going back in time.

Also, most importantly, it had more stunningly attractive women than anywhere I've ever been. By a considerable margin.

Went there in the mid 90`s and noticed that, it was very noticeable, like they all had super models for mums or something.

A fortnight might be a little long. I have been a few times and get bored after a week. But I like the variety of the beers even though they come in small pints. Expect to pay $7 or $8 dollar for a 16oz pint. (minus bartenders tip)

You would need to check out your current phone type but a 'readysim' might be what you need. Talkplan/messages and data all built into a timed (1 week 2 week or longer) contract.

If you only do 1 tourist thing make it the Empire State on a clear day. The views are amazing. Or the Rockefeller at night.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/new-york-city/travel-tips-and-articles/76493

40 free things to do in NYC..

I am regional so always go out of Manchester into Philly and then get a shuttle to La Guardia. 2 Stops on the bus and you are on the subway <30 minutes to the centre of Manhattan.

The other NY airports JKF and Newark are a bit of a way out although there is a fast shuttle train from Newark into Penn station.

Actually, a Northern Irish accent. Dunno if that's better or not ;)

A man who thinks he is "Irish"may try to sell you guns! ;):blink:

Americans more friendly and talkative than Brits.

Ive always found London perhaps the least friendly place on earth, but New Yorkers seem a decent bunch.

Yes they are! And I agree about London! :blink:

My personal favourite out of all the touristy things to do is the Circle Line tour, which is a trip by boat around the whole of Manhattan Island. Leaves from Pier 83 (West 42nd Street & 12th Avenue), takes about 3 hours, costs under $40, good commentary and overall really worthwhile.

MoMA (the museum of modern art) is stunning and although it’s normally $25 or so for admission, it’s often free from 4:00 to 8:00 on a Friday, which is just long enough to get a sense of what they have.

Try the TKTS booth in Times Square for discounted tickets on the day of performance. Broadway shows can be monstrously expensive but TKTS also sells for lots of off-Broadway work. Usually open afternoons/early evening (mornings for same-day matinees) and queues can be very long but sort out a shopping list in advance and 20%-50% off is possible for all but the latest block busters.

Fulton Fish market moved to the Bronx a few years ago and the old meat packing district has more celebrity bistros than butchers but the range and quality of seafood and steakhouses in lower Manhattan is excellent, so definitely worth a visit. In fact, if you’re happy walking then the best way to explore Greenwich Village, SOHO, Tribeca and Little Italy is on foot although weekends and halfway decent weather will find the area very crowded.

If you want something a little different, how about joining the audience for taping of a TV show? Although Letterman tickets have a multi-month waiting list, other chat shows made in NYC can be more accessible and particularly so if you make contact well in advance or go standby on the day. Try this link for how to apply.

Hope that helps!

Going to Manhattan for a couple of weeks soon. Thought I'd ask the HPC-ers for reccomendations of places to go/things to do.

My recommendation would be: don't go, choose a better destination. NYC is the most overpriced and overrated dump this planet has to offer. Even London is cheap in comparison and far more enjoyable than NYC.

Seriously.

Americans more friendly and talkative than Brits.

Outside NYC certainly, but NewYorkers are only friendly when they want your money.

Ive always found London perhaps the least friendly place on earth, but New Yorkers seem a decent bunch.

At least Londoners don't fake friendliness and cheerfulness to fleece you.

Someone I know is going to new York next week. They booked accommodation via airbnb about 7 months ago. They've had an email, 5 days before travel, that they will not be able to stay there because of unavoidable maintenance work. This is not good in a city notoriously expensive to stay in.

Although I was interested to hear they are flying Iceland air from london. 2 hours in Reykjavik but the ticket for LDN - NY is £125. I didn't believe it (still don't).

Although I was interested to hear they are flying Iceland air from london. 2 hours in Reykjavik but the ticket for LDN - NY is £125. I didn't believe it (still don't).

??