House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classixuk

Anyone Know Anything About Networking?

Can any of the IT pros here help me with a simple home network?

2 pcs both running XP pro.

PC A is the new PC with nForce4 chipset motherboard and is connected to the internet.

PC B connects to the internet through PC A.

The network works fine between the 2 until I switch on the nForce firewall on PC A. I can't figure out anyway whatsoever to enable internet connection/file/printer sharing between the 2 pcs once the firewall is on. Even in just anti-hacking mode PC A refuses to acknowledge PC B's existence.

Up until yesterday (when I upgraded PC A) I have always used a software firewall like Norton and just let it configure access. I really want to use the nForce firewall as it seems fantastic and doesn't use up any of my CPU, but there are no useful help documents and I can't find a thing on Google to help me.

The specs for PC A are:

AMD64 3200 CPU

160GB SATA

1024 MB DDR 400 RAM

Nvidia 6600 GT

KN1SLI Extreme motherboard.

Windows XP Pro SP2

I'm using the Gigabit Ethernet for internet and the realtek 10/100 for the local network.

I'd be gratetful for any advice, especially from those of you who know how to configure the nForce firewall!

Cheers

A very stumped :huh: Classixuk

I don't know anything anything about Nforce firewall and i tried to look on the web also but I didn't find to much there either.

How did you turn the firewall on? Is there a configuration screen for the firewall? It can't be that hard.

If you can you need to try and configure the firewall to accept PC B IP address for any protocol.

Maybe posting some screen shots could help

that nforce firewall is a pile of poo and there has been sooooooo much trouble with it.

lots of peeps are getting corrupted downloads and the like.

i must admit i had problems connecting to certain sites when i had it enabled and so i have simply junked it.

i think this nf4 stuff was rushed out too soon as there has been umpteen updates of drivers and bios' for these boards from every manufacturer for all of their boards running these chips.

tried swapping the ports over?

probably best to get rid tbh.

sorry i can't be of much help.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've now dumped the nForce firewall altogether so I guess there's a redundant chip sitting on my motherboard. I may go back to it when more support is provided. Nvidia need to step up their game with these chipsets and provide a users guide on their website for these firewalls.

I'm not too disappointed though as the motherboard I bought has more bells and whistles than I've ever had on a motherboard before and for the grand total of £76! Most of my PCIcards (firewire etc) are now redundant so I'll have to sell those on eBay.

If anyone's thinking of upgrading their motherboard on a budget I'd highly reccommend the KN1SLI extreme.

It was easy to install and has lots of built in features including firewire, 10 USB 2.0 ports, gigabit ethernet LAN, 10/100 LAN, 8 channel surround sound, Dual Spdif, PCI Express, 2xdual channel DDR 400+, ATA Raid, Dual Raid, 6 SATA 2 slots, SLI capability for linking 2 graphics cards together, removable SATA slot for portable hard-drives, Infra Red data port, tons of built in features blah blah. It really is amazing value.

The cons of this board are that you probably won't be able to use the use nForce 4 firewall that's built in to the board until nVidia decide to print some instructions (unless you're a networking wizard, in which case you may understand what the heck it's talking about!).

Time for a cuppa I think!

Why don't you try a different firewall like Tiny v2015a . It uses hardly any resources and is free for private use . It's an old version but at the time it was used on over 500,000 US army pc's , allegedly . I've been using it for years now on 98se and XP . Very good imho . If you can't find it online I can send you a copy or you can get it via bittorrent .

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've now dumped the nForce firewall altogether so I guess there's a redundant chip sitting on my motherboard.

Don't know much about elite (ECS) - better to stick with well known brands as someone else will usually have the answer to your problem!

Try here

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

or here maybe

http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Can any of the IT pros here help me with a simple home network?

2 pcs both running XP pro.

PC A is the new PC with nForce4 chipset motherboard and is connected to the internet.

PC B connects to the internet through PC A.

The network works fine between the 2 until I switch on the nForce firewall on PC A. I can't figure out anyway whatsoever to enable internet connection/file/printer sharing between the 2 pcs once the firewall is on. Even in just anti-hacking mode PC A refuses to acknowledge PC B's existence.

Up until yesterday (when I upgraded PC A) I have always used a software firewall like Norton and just let it configure access. I really want to use the nForce firewall as it seems fantastic and doesn't use up any of my CPU, but there are no useful help documents and I can't find a thing on Google to help me.

The specs for PC A are:

AMD64 3200 CPU

160GB SATA

1024 MB DDR 400 RAM

Nvidia 6600 GT

KN1SLI Extreme motherboard.

Windows XP Pro SP2

I'm using the Gigabit Ethernet for internet and the realtek 10/100 for the local network.

I'd be gratetful for any advice, especially from those of you who know how to configure the nForce firewall!

Cheers

A very stumped :huh: Classixuk

no idea