House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

22, 66 Stone And Dead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587168/One-Britains-obese-men-weighed-66-stone-age-just-22-died-heart-attack.html

One of Britain's most obese men who weighed 66 stone at the age of just 22 dies from a heart attack

Liam Johnston had become a virtual recluse at his home in West Lothian

He had gained another 26 stone in less than a year after court appearance

Two fire crews had to cut away part of a door to remove his body

Last year he spoke poignantly of wanting to lose weight before it killed him

He blamed his issues on a period when he was unemployed and homeless

Clearly a very tragic and sad story, this just shows how dangerous junk food addictions can be. 26 stone is just phenomenal in less than a year if that's accurate.

Nice to see the sympathetic arm of HPC is out this Sunday afternoon.

The lad was on the TV about a year ago. He was genuinely sorry things had deteriorated for him to that extent pretty much to being on the edge of tears. The article suggests he asked for a gastric band but never got one.

dead at 22 from natural causes does seem a shame.

I would rather see the resources of the NHS used to help people like this than used on boob jobs and other vanity operations.

The lad was on the TV about a year ago. He was genuinely sorry things had deteriorated for him to that extent pretty much to being on the edge of tears. The article suggests he asked for a gastric band but never got one.

I would rather see the resources of the NHS used to help people like this than used on boob jobs and other vanity operations.

I guarantee you a gastric band would have done bugger all. He'd simply have gorged on liquids/dense high calorie foods.

Did no-one ever get the lad some mental help? Can't say I feel particularly sorry for him but it is a waste.

Is it really natural causes if someone else was feeding him excessive amounts enough to put on 1/2 stone per week? More like assisted suicide.

Did no-one ever get the lad some mental help? Can't say I feel particularly sorry for him but it is a waste.

I always wonder why such people aren't sectioned so the cycle of over eating can be broken.

Where did he get the money / food to commit sucicide by gluttony ?

Stolen credit card details. (I am serious)

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1395597657' post='1102488463]

How did he do that? Doesn't seem likely that he could sneak up on someone grab their bag and then run away.

You can buy them online I think

Last summer, Mr Johnston also spoke of his shame after being charged with fraud and being taken to court for using stolen credit card details to order takeaway pizzas.

Is it really natural causes if someone else was feeding him excessive amounts enough to put on 1/2 stone per week? More like assisted suicide.

This. It would be the easiest thing in the world for his family to stop him eating as much as he did. But they didn't.

I always wonder why such people aren't sectioned so the cycle of over eating can be broken.

I've wondered that too in the past, when seeing on TV similar sad cases - though I confess to being unable to bear watching for more than a second or two.

It baffles me that, when someone is in such a deteriorating health situation and weight is continuing to be accumulated, that the first line health care providers (i.e GP's) don't recognise more quickly that things have progressed beyond just telling the patient that they just need to exert more willpower and change their diet, etc.

Surely, long before people get to such a state, it must be recognised that the underlying driver of the weight gain is psychological in such a way that the pateint cannot voluntarily control it?

The other alternative is that the underlying cause is genuinely neurological (something in the brain is physically driving them to compulsively eat).

IF the latter are there not any medications that could perhaps influence/change brain behaviour (e.g appetite suppressants?). They might carry risks, but surely they have to weighed up against guaranteed death if not used?

You never see these people gorging on carrots, cans of tuna, olive oil, 90% dark chocolate, apples, eggs, vegetables with olive oil or minced beef though.

An odd list of food above perhaps, but all of them 'natural' and some even considered 'unhealthy', but they are 'paleo'

But it is always manufactured/processed food that seems to be the problem.

I don't blame the food industry as no-one is forcing them to buy the crap that they shovel into their mouths.

A little education and a pinch of willpower (Less than needed to stick to a conventional low-fat/healthy eating plan) would work wonders.

You never see these people gorging on carrots, cans of tuna, olive oil, 90% dark chocolate, apples, eggs, vegetables with olive oil or minced beef though.

An odd list of food above perhaps, but all of them 'natural' and some even considered 'unhealthy', but they are 'paleo'

But it is always manufactured/processed food that seems to be the problem.

I don't blame the food industry as no-one is forcing them to buy the crap that they shovel into their mouths.

A little education and a pinch of willpower (Less than needed to stick to a conventional low-fat/healthy eating plan) would work wonders.

I've seen a bloke eat a gallon of pickled eggs, and drink the vinegar!

I will bet you he couldn't do that often enough to get to 66 stone though!

I will bet you he couldn't do that often enough to get to 66 stone though!

I've never been that big! I think I might have been 10 stone at that age!

:blink:

I've never been that big! I think I might have been 10 stone at that age!

:blink:

182896169_L3FUQNbF_c.jpg

I'm guessing that marvellous event was more likely to have happened during your time in exile 'up North' - but I am happy to be wrong my friend... :)

XYY

Guest eight

Clearly a very tragic and sad story, this just shows how dangerous junk food addictions can be. 26 stone is just phenomenal in less than a year if that's accurate.

It's left me wondering if I actually eat 26 stone of food in a year. If my dodgy imperial/metric conversion is correct it's about 500g of food a day?

These extreme obesity death stories come around every so often, and I always wonder exactly this. I mean, these people are usually too big to get out of their chairs/beds by themselves and yet they seem able to purchase and cook/heat & consume vast amounts, so who exactly is enabling them to do this?! Even with the Domino's Pizza on stolen credit cards scenario, someone probably has to get up and open the door for him... Whoever they are, most likely his family, maybe, just maybe they should feel a little bit guilty for bringing on his inevitable tragic demise.

Reminds me of an old uni acquaintance who downed the left over vinegar from a jar of silverskin pickled onions, only for it to come straight back up. In an attempt to stop it he put his hand hard over his mouth, and the whole lot (probably half a pint) came out through his nostrils. You can imagine how that felt after...

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1395591962' post='1102488431]

How many tallow candles can be made from his blubber?

If they had a tallow candle they could have made a wish. Oops, I meant a Babylon candle.