House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

or in excess of

Stewart Lee

Just watching Stewart Lee on BBC2. Some of it is mildly funny, but listening to the audience, i have never heard such sycophancy since Chris Moyles "chums" on Radio 1. They were absolutely wetting themselves at pretty mediocre stuff. Family perhaps? Or is he the latest"in" comedian that it`s fashionable to laugh at in an exagerrated fashion?

Just watching Stewart Lee on BBC2. Some of it is mildly funny, but listening to the audience, i have never heard such sycophancy since Chris Moyles "chums" on Radio 1. They were absolutely wetting themselves at pretty mediocre stuff. Family perhaps? Or is he the latest"in" comedian that it`s fashionable to laugh at in an exagerrated fashion?

I'm scared to say anything in case it gets read out on a future show.

Guest spp

You obviously haven't heard the latest bunch of I don't know what on R1... :ph34r:

There was a thread on here raving about him.

Had watched the first two - mostly meh with a little funny. Had been on series record on PVR - deleted. Bremner, Bird and Fortune did it better.

Over the years, he's mad me laugh, a lot. Ive seen him live a few times and he can be very good. Or at least, was.

He did a routine about pear cider which had me cracking up.

However, this series and the one before, shot in a "club" environment is dripping with the feeling that the audience somehow think they are special, because they "get it". When in fact it feels like he is falling short of earlier work.

He did seem to get credit on another thread on here for his appraisal of the economy but i didnt watch the programme and i didnt read the thread!

I actually think its his audience that are putting me off of him these days.

I had an ex girlfriend who grew to become like this, in short an utter pain in the ****.

Over the years, he's mad me laugh, a lot. Ive seen him live a few times and he can be very good. Or at least, was.

He did a routine about pear cider which had me cracking up.

However, this series and the one before, shot in a "club" environment is dripping with the feeling that the audience somehow think they are special, because they "get it". When in fact it feels like he is falling short of earlier work.

He did seem to get credit on another thread on here for his appraisal of the economy but i didnt watch the programme and i didnt read the thread!

I actually think its his audience that are putting me off of him these days.

I had an ex girlfriend who grew to become like this, in short an utter pain in the ****.

+1

I'm definitely not a comedy snob. There's loads of the more "intellectual" (can't think of a better word) comedians who I don't really find funny (e.g. Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, Jerry Seinfeld, Billy Connolly, Reginald Hunter). But for some reason I like a lot of Stewart Lee's stuff. I think it's a lot about enjoying his delivery and interaction with the audience e.g. I love this bit on Youtube. But if people don't find this clip funny then they probably won't like him.

However, this series and the one before, shot in a "club" environment is dripping with the feeling that the audience somehow think they are special, because they "get it".

I think so, too. That must always be a danger with very small audiences.

I hate that Mrs Brown too.

Leaves me cold.

I don't mind funny men in dresses. I was bought up on Dick Emery, Les Dawson, etc all doing their turns, but something about the program makes me feel ill.

I find him very funny, but I do get that he's a bit Marmite. I like his style of delivery and cynical/slightly absurdist view of the world.

I hate that Mrs Brown too.

Leaves me cold.

I don't mind funny men in dresses. I was bought up on Dick Emery, Les Dawson, etc all doing their turns, but something about the program makes me feel ill.

+1

I'm definitely not a comedy snob. There's loads of the more "intellectual" (can't think of a better word) comedians who I don't really find funny (e.g. Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, Jerry Seinfeld, Billy Connolly, Reginald Hunter). But for some reason I like a lot of Stewart Lee's stuff. I think it's a lot about enjoying his delivery and interaction with the audience e.g. I love this bit on Youtube. But if people don't find this clip funny then they probably won't like him.

I mentioned this on another thread a while back, my understanding is that Stewart Lee borrowed top entertainer Ted Chippington's act and ran with it. I don't think Lee even denies it...

Ted Chippington (real name Francis Smyth; born February 1962, Stoke-on-Trent, England) is a British stand-up comedian.

Noted for his diffident on-stage persona, Chippington eschews observational comedy in favour of anti-humour and jokes which are mostly variations on the same theme, delivered in a West Midlands monotone. He also frequently performs his own versions of well-known songs in a similarly listless style. His act has left many audiences bemused or even hostile, with heckling a frequent occurrence during his performances.

His deadpan style has won him a small but devoted number of followers. One notable fan, Stewart Lee, has often cited Chippington as the reason he started doing stand-up comedy himself, and has described Chippington's act as being "a mixture of surrealism and insolent provocation and uncompromising boredom".[1] Another admirer, Richard Herring, talks of Chippington's "contempt for the very idea of jokes".[2] For his part Chippington - who describes his own act as being influenced by Lenny Bruce and Owd Grandad Piggott [3] - says he is an "anti-comedian" and that he only started doing his act "to annoy people". He has even claimed that his main reason for retiring from the stage in the 1990s was that he was becoming too popular.

I saw Chippington a few times in my student days and, it's true, his act was miles funnier when a good chunk of the audience didn't 'get it'.

Nearly 5 mins of unbelievably brave comedy (for many reasons)

I mentioned this on another thread a while back, my understanding is that Stewart Lee borrowed top entertainer Ted Chippington's act and ran with it. I don't think Lee even denies it...

I saw Chippington a few times in my student days and, it's true, his act was miles funnier when a good chunk of the audience didn't 'get it'.

Lee meets Chippington

My favourite comic right now is Bill Burr:

I listen to Burr's podcast most weeks. I don't give a stuff about his passion for 'sports' so there's a fair bit of FFing but some of his other stuff is excellent impo, particularly the listeners' questions spot towards the end.

Doug Stanhope has also taken to doing a podcast this last year. It's more, um, niche than Burr's and has got darker than dark on some occasions.

He's a bit pc for my taste, but has made me laugh. This for instance, is hilarious:

My favourite comic right now is Bill Burr:

That's how i best remember (he's not dead btw) Stewart Lee.

The big beardy fella at 4.04 looks like hes about to jump him....

He's a bit pc for my taste

I have a pet theory that British stand-up suffered a mortal blow when New Labour came to power and hasn't recovered since.

Be careful what you wish for and all that.

The comics I currently enjoy are North American, libertarian but not right-leaning libertarian, and they work it into their act.

Stewart Lee's OK, but I preferred the stuff he did about 15 years ago with Richard Herring.

In recent years I've got tired of his "look how clever I am as I deconstruct this joke" schtick.

I want a good laugh, not a lecture about the mechanics of stand-up.

When he's at his best, he's the best comedian in the UK IMHO (although my favourite comedians are Bill Burr and Louis CK).

Check out his shows from 2005-ish, great stuff.

However this latest series is dreaful, particularly the second episode which had about 5 minutes of actual material stretched out to half an hour.

He's material is getting weaker, and he is getting smugger, with a contempt for the audience that if you don't laugh it's because your not 'smart' enough. Bill Burr and Louis CK don't need to be so elitist, because they write far, far better material.

...my understanding is that Stewart Lee borrowed top entertainer Ted Chippington's act and ran with it. I don't think Lee even denies it...

Excellent - so you just nick the act of a long-forgotten obscure comedian and pass it off as your own.

Well that's me sorted then, booking me fringe spot at the Edinburgh festival right now...!

Just need one of them old-fashioned prison uniforms with arrows printed on them, a pair of white gloves, and a few months rehearsing me knock 'em dead catchphrases - "Hither-thither", Spook...!" and "Slither...!"

You'll all be saying it in the morning...

;)

XYY