House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEW247

Parking Ticket!

Please let me know if you have experiences with traffic wardens!

Got back to car, the warden was about to ticket my car so I grabbed it off him as he went to put it on my windscreen and got in my car and drove off; therefore he did not physically put it on my car.

He took some photos of the car whilst I was manoeuvring out of the space prior to driving off.

Does anyone know if this ticket stands? - I read somewhere that they must physically place it on the car and provide evidence of this if requested.

As they have no photo of the ticket on the car, I'm assuming I could ignore it and when they chase me I could say "prove that a ticket was put on my car" and the couldn't.

Do I still have to pay a ticket if I drive off before it's fixed to my car?

Yes, in most cases. If it's a police officer or police traffic warden, then the parking ticket will stand even if you drive off before they physically issue it.

Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) can also be issued to you by post if the Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) could not serve it because of abusive behaviour or because the motorist drove away after the CEO had started to issue it.

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/driving-advice/how-to-appeal-a-parking-ticket/parking-ticket-faqs/

Got back to car, the warden was about to ticket my car so I grabbed it off him as he went to put it on my windscreen and got in my car and drove off; therefore he did not physically put it on my car.

He took some photos of the car whilst I was manoeuvring out of the space prior to driving off.

Does anyone know if this ticket stands? - I read somewhere that they must physically place it on the car and provide evidence of this if requested.

As they have no photo of the ticket on the car, I'm assuming I could ignore it and when they chase me I could say "prove that a ticket was put on my car" and the couldn't.

You touched him?

You'd better hope he's easy going, that way it will be just the parking ticket.

you grabbed it off him?!

That's not really a smart move.

Maybe you should pay the ticket to make sure that your behaviour does not come to light.

This person was doing his job and you effectively assaulted him, i have no sympathy for you!

Council or Police?

If I return to my car whilst the ticket is being issued but drive off before it can be either handed to me or fixed to the vehicle am I still liable?

This depends on who it is issuing the ticket.

If it is a council parking attendant then, to be valid, the ticket must be either handed to the driver or fixed to the vehicle. If you subsequently get a Notice to Owner you should write to the issuing council, explaining the situation, and ask for it to be cancelled. If they will not cancel it then appeal. Although the adjudication services do not categorise types of appeal anecdotal evidence suggests that between a third and a half of all appeals are for this reason.

However, if you return to find a police officer or traffic warden in the process of issuing a ticket then, if you drive off, the ticket can be sent to you as they enforce under different legislation.

http://www.parkingticket.co.uk/em.html

Pay it now.

If you don't, they send it back to the Warden to write out his evidence.

His supervisor might just decide to prosecute you for assault, or even theft of the ticket because it had not yet been given to you.

I think that you are an idiot!

Why pay it all? Seriously!

I really wish more people would actually ask/enquire on this option, rather than the automatic assumption it HAS to be paid - and then get involved in all sorts of pointless legal hypotheticals and mind games about whether or not the ticket actually touched my windcsreen, etc etc.

There are going to be some (lucky) people for whom their personal circumstances/'lifestyle' are such that IF they choose not to pay there is next to nowt the issuing body can do about!

All of the above refers ONLY to Penalty Charge Notices issued by local authorities and NOT those issued by the police for Road Traffic violations.

The traffic warden probably gets this happening to them a few times a day - great job huh? He may have forgotten about you by the time he/she got home. He/she is probably filing an assault report on the person that spat at them in the face 2 hours later.

The law changed a few years ago so that driving off before the warden could stick the ticket on your car was no longer enough to get off paying it. Years ago I did just that and received a Notice To Owner about 6 months later. When I challenged them they provided a copy of the officer's note book where he claimed that he had handed it to me. I successfully challeneged the ticket on the basis that that was a lie; the point is though that handing the ticket to the driver is legally sufficient apparently.

TBH it sounds like you should pay, but you could try the forums at www.pepipoo.com for further advice.

General advice for parking tickets:

If it's a local council, pay it (unless you have grounds to appeal).

If it's a private company, ignore it.

Generally agree with this, but disappointed with some the assault accusations and just pay it advice on this thread. There are lots of legitimate grounds for appeal of parking tickets, which are just ignored by totally non independent council parasites. Doesn't make it right though.

Generally agree with this, but disappointed with some the assault accusations and just pay it advice on this thread. There are lots of legitimate grounds for appeal of parking tickets, which are just ignored by totally non independent council parasites. Doesn't make it right though.

Well yes, and no. In my case I'd parked up just after 6pm on a Saturday in a council car park in which the operating hours ended at 6.30. I didn't want to pay a quid for 25 minutes parking and so decided to chance it, figuring that there wouldn't be any wardens about on a Saturday night anyway. Got back from Tescos at 6.27 to find a warden observing my car and tapping away at his machine. I jumped in the car and drove off; the chap made no attempt to stop me or even speak to me. TBH that's fair enough, he was a small African bloke and I'm a sturdy 5'11 white skinhead; he wasn't to know that I'm not in the slightest bit racist, nor inclined to violence. I was expecting to get the ticket in the post. What i wasn't expecting was to get a Notice To Owner 5 1/2 months later claiming that I'd not paid a ticket that I'd never received!

The council rejected my appeal on the basis that the guy had recorded in his notebook that the ticket was 'HTD' I.E. 'Handed To Driver'. I can only assume that the little snake had in fact handed it to the nearest bin, in order to avoid the bother of having to go back to the office, find my address, post it to me etc. So I appealed to PATAS, and turned up to the hearing full of righteous indignation, ready to deliver a long spiel about the iniquity of the situation, ask why the council had taken 5 months to get round to issuing a NTO, etc. etc.

In fact the appeals officer started what I thought was a standard spiel along the lines of 'you do understand that to not tell the truth in this room would be a serious...' at which point I cut him off with a 'yeah yeah', wanting to get down to business. He looked me right in the eye and started again 'if you were to not tell the truth that would be a far more serious offence than the parking ticket you are contesting, do you understand?'. This time I held his gaze the whole way through, and replied without any hesitation 'I do understand that yes', at which point he said 'in that case I'm going to allow the appeal'! Completely deflated, I just said 'oh! Well thank you!'. His written summation said 'the appellant <or whatever I was> does not deny the parking infraction but I can see no evidence that the ticket was properly served' or words to that effect. Which was 100% accurate, though we had not even discussed it! (He had read my appeal letter on his system though).

OP, I reckon your mistake was to snatch the ticket from the Warden's hand- had you simply attempted to drive off the onus would have been on him to try and hand you the ticket or stick it on your car, or else post it to you within 30 days, which they may or may not have been organised enough to do. As it is it seems to me that he is perfectly entitled to record the ticket as 'Handed To Driver', since you went out of your way to take it off him.

I think it boils down to whether or not the ticket was a "fair cop", i.e. whether it was issued by a licensed law enforcement official and you were actually parked illegally on the public street. If the ticket was being issued legitimately, I agree with earlier posters that it's probably a good idea to pay it. If the traffic warden does accuse you of assault, then even if the case ultimately fails it could cost you a lot in hassle and/or legal fees. And of course the worst case scenario is a criminal record.

If, however, you were either parked legally and the ticket was being issued in error, or this was on private land and the "traffic warden" was a private security contractor, I would be inclined to ignore any demand for payment. If whoever issued the ticket had no right to be doing so, then they potentially stand as much to lose as you do by escalating the matter.

If they send you a parking fine pay it. If they don't breath a sigh of relief.

If they send you some kind of summons or something for grabbing the parking ticket simply tell the truth - say you were stressed and panicked, apologise and offer to pay the ticket.

If you get some bizarre allegation of assault, parking ticket 'murder' or have now wrecked this parking warden's life then you would have to think about challenging it, going to the local paper over it, etc.

There are virtually zero police issuing parking tickets these days. Its all been privatised....

..and theoretically under OUR legal system a private company does not have the authority to issue a fine.

they have to go through a magistrate first.

General advice for parking tickets:

If it's a local council, pay it (unless you have grounds to appeal).

If it's a private company, ignore it.

I completely agree and have had many private tickets in my time along with the 3 or 4 reminders for each and then a warning of legal action. Then, blessful silence!