House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

The Village Shop In A Vending Machine

Tesco or siansburys tried this in greater manchesrr a number of yars ago.

Huge vending machine outside the shop.

Either that or I dreamt it!

The advance of the machines!

Personally I'd rather go in a shop but I suppose a lot of folks will like them.

Must be cheaper and more viable to run than a shop...certain communities that don't have a shop can have one of these..cuts down having to travel to a nearby village...

There's one behind a local supermarket in the town I often visit in Spain. It's great when you arrive after one am for buying breakfast, bread, milk.

They also sell dildoes and vibrators. My sister and I were helpless with laughter when we saw them on the menu. :lol:

I guess you can't get fresh eggs from it... :blink:

apparently you can, as it uses a mechanical arm, rather than them just dropping down

Jesus! That's sad.

Who would want to live in a village with no shops and a big vending machine?

Talk about alienation.

...I live in a fairly rural area, and village shops are closing left right and centre...if you live in a pretty urban area, you take a Tesco express for granted...some shops move into the pub - until they close the pub...

There's one behind a local supermarket in the town I often visit in Spain. It's great when you arrive after one am for buying breakfast, bread, milk.

They also sell dildoes and vibrators. My sister and I were helpless with laughter when we saw them on the menu. :lol:

How many did you buy? :blink:

just put one in every home...sort of minibar for the kitchen...pay as you use, man delivers top ups when you are low..no need to even leave the house.

just put one in every home...sort of minibar for the kitchen...pay as you use, man delivers top ups when you are low..no need to even leave the house.

Think of all the delivery jobs it would create..... What will the delivery costs be?

As already been mentioned there has been changes in some areas to have a one-stop-shop style hub where the local pub is the local restaurant, the local cafe in the day, the post office, village shop, hot pasty and sandwiches takeaway, newsagents and stationer, meeting place for local activities if the space for keep fit classes, film shows, clubs of all kinds.....a good and efficient consolidation of local resources.... ;)

You mean like Waitrose online?

You mean like Waitrose online?

actually, a wall of pressure sensitive buttons you press to get your delivery for even the most computer illiterate...

actually, a wall of pressure sensitive buttons you press to get your delivery for even the most computer illiterate...

I call that a keyboard. But then, I'm not computer illiterate. Even my 88 year old mother orders from Waitrose online. :)

The advance of the machines!

Personally I'd rather go in a shop but I suppose a lot of folks will like them.

Our village doesn't have a shop. The nearest Tesco Express, Waitrose and Sainsburys are all about seven miles away.

The neighbouring village does have a shop.

Ever seen "The League of Gentlemen"? It's like the shop in Royston Vasey. Brusque, borderline rude staff, and a weird feeling you somehow time warped back 30 years when you crossed the threshold that is the front door. Sadly, the last time I was in there and they refused to accept my debit card for £9.90 because it was less than £10 (the nearest cashpoint is at said Tesco Express), I told them to shove it so I won't be going back there.

Since I'm involved with the village "committee", I know that a shop here is the number one most requested item.

The issue is mostly that of staffing, which this machine resolves.

Our village doesn't have a shop. The nearest Tesco Express, Waitrose and Sainsburys are all about seven miles away.

The neighbouring village does have a shop.

Ever seen "The League of Gentlemen"? It's like the shop in Royston Vasey. Brusque, borderline rude staff, and a weird feeling you somehow time warped back 30 years when you crossed the threshold that is the front door. Sadly, the last time I was in there and they refused to accept my debit card for £9.90 because it was less than £10 (the nearest cashpoint is at said Tesco Express), I told them to shove it so I won't be going back there.

Since I'm involved with the village "committee", I know that a shop here is the number one most requested item.

The issue is mostly that of staffing, which this machine resolves.

Our independent village shop does very well, partly because it is owned, lots of people are always parking up as they pass by to pop in, no parking restrictions or yellow lines or cctv cameras. There are a mixture of young people/students working there and a few older ladies doing a few hours. :)

Can't it be put near the sofa instead? Much more convenient.