House Price Crash Forum

Supper Clubs

SarahBell

HOLA441

Was watching part of Restaurant man last night and they visited a supper club> Whilst I've seen them on the TV before I wondered about the legalities of cooking food in exchange for money at home.

Thinking about the just-eat thing where there were people cooking takeaway food at home .. presumably they're running a business rather than it being a "hobby" :)

http://www.myhomesupperclub.co.uk/ says:

"I can’t advise on the legalities supper clubs. Every area is different, and there are lots of grey areas too. You will have to make these decisions yourself, and seek advice from your local authority."

She does then link to a book about supper clubs.. and the writer's own site.

Would you go to one?

HOLA442

If it was a friend trying to get one started I'd go along to support them and say nice things, but I really can't get excited about food.

I enjoyed Two Fat Ladies and Hairy Bikers programmes but when they do the cooking bit it's make a cup of tea time.

HOLA443

I believe there will be all sorts of health and safety implications, as you are "selling" cooked food to paying guests. Do you have liability insurance? Are there tax implications? Will you need a "food safety certificate". One of my mates is a chef, and he has to do all this stuff, as well as cook!

Why not cook food for some friends one night for nothing, and let them do it back to you, another day? :blink:

HOLA444

I believe there will be all sorts of health and safety implications, as you are "selling" cooked food to paying guests. Do you have liability insurance? Are there tax implications? Will you need a "food safety certificate". One of my mates is a chef, and he has to do all this stuff, as well as cook!

Why not cook food for some friends one night for nothing, and let them do it back to you, another day? :blink:

I've got a food safety certificate and in theory can write out a HACPP from scratch.

I don't want to run a supper club. Just curious really.

We do have friends over to eat and then go to theirs.

HOLA445
Hairy Bikers programmes but when they do the cooking bit it's make a cup of tea time.

They sort of made kimchi last night.

Well they were supervised by an old lady.

It's not like Jamie Oliver or Delia. If they'd made kimchi I'd be 100% certain on how to make it.

HOLA446

Actually my mate, the "chef" is a biker, not so hairy now though! He never learned to drive a car! He was trained at the Savoy, in London. He's been teaching the French how to cook, and makes that Ramsey bloke seem restrained! :blink:

HOLA447

Actually my mate, the "chef" is a biker, not so hairy now though! He never learned to drive a car! He was trained at the Savoy, in London. He's been teaching the French how to cook, and makes that Ramsey bloke seem restrained! :blink:

Oo!

Foodie biker eh :)

Is that cos all the French chefs are over here?

HOLA448

Oo!

Foodie biker eh :)

Is that cos all the French chefs are over here?

If you don't know the difference between Castrol GTX, and Virgin Olive oil you should not be cooking! And if you are, I won't eat it! :huh:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I've got a food safety certificate and in theory can write out a HACPP from scratch.

I don't want to run a supper club. Just curious really.

We do have friends over to eat and then go to theirs.

The above arrangement is not a commercial venture if each member reciprocates the invite

If you do stray into the commercial side:

Food Safety legislation is fairly flexible and accommodating in respect to home caterers.

Registration is free (and a legal requirement) at your local authority

A food hygiene qualification is highly recommended

HACCP - easiest to use the Food Standards Agency Safer Food Better Business pack (free and downloadable)

Liabilty insurance - no legal requirement as far as I'm aware but advisable

HOLA4413

What's that mean then?

It's about multi-grade viscosity! Means it's like a 5 when it's cold, but a 40 when it's hot! Engines need to know that!

A 5 is quite thin but a 50 is like treacle! :blink:

HOLA4414

The above arrangement is not a commercial venture if each member reciprocates the invite

If you do stray into the commercial side:

Food Safety legislation is fairly flexible and accommodating in respect to home caterers.

Registration is free (and a legal requirement) at your local authority

A food hygiene qualification is highly recommended

HACCP - easiest to use the Food Standards Agency Safer Food Better Business pack (free and downloadable)

Liabilty insurance - no legal requirement as far as I'm aware but advisable

You might have to pay business rates on your dining room? :blink:

Why not just cook for your mates one night for nothing! Then they are guests, not customers!

HOLA4415

You might have to pay business rates on your dining room? :blink:

Why not just cook for your mates one night for nothing! Then they are guests, not customers!

I assume the people who run supper clubs want to show off their cooking to a wider audience.

Perhaps they like strangers oo-ing over their food?

HOLA4416

ta chuck!

I have been asked if I'd sell the jam I make. But I suspect the cost of new jars for that makes it not worthwhile.

HOLA4417

ta chuck!

I have been asked if I'd sell the jam I make. But I suspect the cost of new jars for that makes it not worthwhile.

I have no idea what Kurt.B does, but he would probably advise you not to eat my Chicken Naga!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

ta chuck!

I'm always annoyed at the pettiness of these sorts of regs. If you are making jam, it is standard practice to sterilise the jars anyway, by heating them in an oven gently so that when the jam is poured in, they don't crack. The trick is to time the putting the lids on right - too late and the jam might be contaminated, too soon and the vacuum produced makes them impossible to open. I have never, ever heard of anyone being sick due to bad jam (as opposed, for example, to e. coli contamination of commercial pies), has anyone else? Worst that happens is you take the lid off, and find a vigorous mould growing, in which case it is binned.

It's the same with eggs. You're not allowed to re-use eggboxes. You're not supposed to wash the eggs. You're not supposed to sort the eggs into sizes.

HOLA4420

The Fat Hairy bikers were not all that foodie when they started out. That was just their hook to get a TV commission. One of them was one of my neighbours when they were just getting that show started and he was a make up artist at the BBC

HOLA4421

I'm always annoyed at the pettiness of these sorts of regs. If you are making jam, it is standard practice to sterilise the jars anyway, by heating them in an oven gently so that when the jam is poured in, they don't crack. The trick is to time the putting the lids on right - too late and the jam might be contaminated, too soon and the vacuum produced makes them impossible to open. I have never, ever heard of anyone being sick due to bad jam (as opposed, for example, to e. coli contamination of commercial pies), has anyone else? Worst that happens is you take the lid off, and find a vigorous mould growing, in which case it is binned.

It's the same with eggs. You're not allowed to re-use eggboxes. You're not supposed to wash the eggs. You're not supposed to sort the eggs into sizes.

It's the lids with jars. In theory you might get away with just new lids. but unless you have identical jars then you'd spend more buying the different lids.

For your own use if you need jars then buying the cheap lemon curd is the way to go. It's about 20p a jar. I can't buy a jar and lid for that!

The egg box thing is mad. Unless you eat the shells.

I spose old muck on a new egg is a possibility.

HOLA4422

I like the idea in general of supper clubs. But perhaps a bit less informal e.g. curry and nan, spaghetti bolognaise and garlic bread or a buffet. In particular I would go to one of these if they were for singles to meet new people.

Regarding rules and regulations yes I think they go too far.

I can decide if I go into a supper club venue whether I wish to eat there or not. Also going by the blog I can access the kitchen as well and see what's going on. Not something I can usually do in most eating places! Similarly If I want to buy someones homemade jam, well I can decide for myself.

The rules and regulations hinder free enterprise and if lots of these supper clubs sprung up then I've no doubt it would result in cries for the rules and regs to be enforced to outlaw them. There's even scope for a new fine there........£1000 for holding an illegal supper

Archived