House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

House Sold As Royal Mail Really Delivers

You buy new house move in and go to sleep. When you wake up in the morning, you won't believe what you see. You have front extension worth 100k more.

Edited by rollover

Here is more on the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-26661572

"Mr Wiles said: "I'm hoping our buyer can hang on until the house is repaired - it's a beautiful house."

Uh, no it's not. It's a depressing looking new build box with no charm, 2 doors down from a petrol station!

I am hoping the buyer has insured the house from exchange of contract as they have to go ahead with the purchase :D. If they don't they will loose their deposit & probably be sued by the sellers for any losses incurred, if the subsequently sell at a lower price.

Here is more on the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-26661572

"Mr Wiles said: "I'm hoping our buyer can hang on until the house is repaired - it's a beautiful house."

Uh, no it's not. It's a depressing looking new build box with no charm, 2 doors down from a petrol station!

It's also on a busy A road, just down from a big roundabout. Street view suggests it was only recently redeveloped from a pub (the Wheatsheaf). Horrible development.

EDIT: here's next door

Edited by Quicken

I am hoping the buyer has insured the house from exchange of contract as they have to go ahead with the purchase :D. If they don't they will loose their deposit & probably be sued by the sellers for any losses incurred, if the subsequently sell at a lower price.

I had a real c0cky tw@t of a solicitor when I bought my house - he'd been recommended to me. I asked him about this point (i.e. what happens if the house burns down in between exchange and completion) and he said it was something he'd never thought about! After looking into it he came back with what you wrote

Edited by oldsport

This is one reason why you should only exchange on vacant possession. Contracting to buy the house and then deferring moving in and allowing people to remain in it for a while just leaves you open to all manner of possible hassles.

(I assume that there is a valid contract here, where the buyer has committed to buy the house and not just an offer that has been accepted .. Which is often enough for the vendor to assume that their house is now sold and certainly enough for an agent to put up a 'Sold' sign.)