House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Mulbery Sales Drop 7%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26661850

"Mulberry's latest profit warning earlier this year came after it said retail sales fell over the key Christmas trading period, down 7% in the eight weeks to the end of January."

Maybe all the pensioners will use their pensions savings to buy "luxury" handbags.

I'm not going to beat about the mulberyy bush here, there is no recovery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26661850

"Mulberry's latest profit warning earlier this year came after it said retail sales fell over the key Christmas trading period, down 7% in the eight weeks to the end of January."

Maybe all the pensioners will use their pensions savings to buy "luxury" handbags.

I'm not going to beat about the mulberyy bush here, there is no recovery.

Mulberry prices are ludicrous so I'm not surprised, but I don't think pensioners are so mad about these as label-obsessed 20s/30s/40s.

Daughter once had a 30scolleague who was endlessly bragging about money, how much her new kitchen/car etc. cost, and how much her husband earned. Needless to say she was not the most popular person in the office. One Christmas she was bragging like mad in advance about the colossally expensive Mulberry bag her husband was going to buy her. She was one of those who always had to have everything better/more expensive than everyone else.

And he did buy it for her - so she was monumentally pissed off when another more junior colleague turned up post Christmas with an even more expensive Mulberry her non-bragged-about boyfriend had bought her. Daughter said it was hilarious how put out she was - how dared ANYone, especially a junior, pip her in the Mulberry stakes? :lol:

This is not a surprise. Someone decided they wer not exclusive enough and Mulberry were being associated with low level designer brands. Therefore they should offer far more expensive products and behold, it hasn't worked.

"Mulberry hits snag in move to take brand upmarket"

Mulberry has a problem. The British brand has dragged its image upmarket. It uses more expensive leather on its famous bags and produces more of them in the UK. Naturally, prices have gone up, too.

But this plan has one snag: not enough people want to buy them.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/087682dc-88b4-11e3-bb5f-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2wVPlmCnV

Hopefully the FT quote is within the rules. I tried, I really did.

Edited by 7 Year Itch

...aren't the Chinese no longer buying? ;)

thats it...the chinese google for Mulbelly....and they cant find it...genius

Edited by Bloo Loo

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/next-course-overtake-m-084613206.html#20zIFBI

'Fashion chain Next toasted a "great year" for the group today as a £695 million annually profits haul put it on course to overtake rival Marks & Spencer for the first time in its history.'

It is a strange one. I find Next clothes have poor fit and baggy (I'm 32) and the quality is ok at best. Shoes and shirts seemed very poor. Their shops seem a tad dull though saying that visiting a Superdry store is like visiting a bar or nightclub. Their clothes seemed to be cut tight.

Where to find decent affordable work shirts is always a hot office topic!

Edited by Ash4781

They should have never branched out into handbags - harbours is their core business. If I am ever invading northern Europe I always will have a need for a Mulberry.

I'll get my coat.

It is a strange one. I find Next clothes have poor fit and baggy (I'm 32) and the quality is ok at best. Shoes and shirts seemed very poor. Their shops seem a tad dull though saying that visiting a Superdry store is like visiting a bar or nightclub. Their clothes seemed to be cut tight.

Where to find decent affordable work shirts is always a hot office topic!

Next shares much like Rightmove's are a short waiting to happen.

Their demographic has held up well through the last five years of disposable income falls for working households and they've bettered M&S for the time being,which is no mean feat.

Buyers fall away, and what happens? Hmm. Of course with such things there is also possibility of saturation in one brand, and other competitors.

I did contribute quite a bit of money, to a circa £400 handbag, different designer, not so long ago. A short-term measure to keep someone happy, positive about themselves, and feeling they were getting something in life from all their hard-work and saving. It was better than them buying a house.

Good news for Mulberry fans: Prices are slashed - because no one can afford them!

Firm warns profits will disappoint for fourth time in two years, hitting shares 4%
New strategy unveiled by former head Godfrey Davis, who oversaw success of Mulberry between 2002 and 2012

By Ross Davies

Published: 12:08, 17 April 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606676/Mulberry-offer-cheaper-prices-attempt-win-customers.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27061343

I did contribute quite a bit of money, to a circa £400 handbag, different designer, not so long ago. A short-term measure to keep someone happy, positive about themselves, and feeling they were getting something in life from all their hard-work and saving. It was better than them buying a house.

A woman?

Do you live in it now?

No. <_<

Edited by Venger

Buyers fall away, and what happens? Hmm. Of course with such things there is also possibility of saturation in one brand, and other competitors.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606676/Mulberry-offer-cheaper-prices-attempt-win-customers.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27061343

You know your problem. You still think £400 is a lot of money.

Now that credit and welfare have replaced labour, its pocket change.

I visited a Mulberry store with a friend last year. She had saved £800 over about 5 months for a particular bag. When she went in, she found the bag she wanted but it was clearly a return - covered in scratches and permanent marks. She then got into an argument with the sales assistant when she refused to buy the bag, who insisted the marks were just "the way the leather looked" (it wasn't, believe me - it was ruined) and was told that if she wasn't prepared to pay full price regardless of the condition of the bag, her business wasn't welcome. Disgusting customer service.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606676/Mulberry-offer-cheaper-prices-attempt-win-customers.html#ixzz2zENPyNnn

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

One of the quotes from the daily mail saved £800 and it took 5 months for a handbag.

Mulberry is a strange shop, they get a HUGE number of returns, I think their stuff just isnt made to be used.

It's one of those shops where, if you go in dressed up like you are on the way to a wedding you will get really good service, if you just dress normally (or have the wrong accent) they will treat you like a shoplifter.

Mulberry is a strange shop, they get a HUGE number of returns, I think their stuff just isnt made to be used.

It's one of those shops where, if you go in dressed up like you are on the way to a wedding you will get really good service, if you just dress normally (or have the wrong accent) they will treat you like a shoplifter.

30 days money back guarantee.......a bag is for carrying things that is why they call them carrier bags. ;)

I guess these things have their day. Originally they are exclusive. But then everyone wants one. When everyone then gets one no-one wants one.

I saw one of these things once, it did look well made, and to be honest there is no reason why it shouldn't be at the price, as the fab is probably a very small part of the cost. Dunno about the style. Not my thing to comment really.

As for the customer treatment/returns, maybe people have got wise to the fact that they can get one of these things "on hire" for 30 days.

Edited by Gigantic Purple Slug

If women had pockets, they could save on bags!

A woman?

Yes.

Young women who read HPC, and who don't want mega-mortgage debt. Who victim (excuse excuse) ignorant borrowers rank above in superiority for ownership as they pay higher prices.

scdkiu.jpg

That is the problem.

If women had pockets, they could save on bags!

The key is not to carry 10 kilos of useless crap around with you all the time.

Then you save money on not shelling out for the crap, as well as the £800 quid bag to carry it all in.

Once when I asked someone why she had such a huge bag she said to carry her money, that sort of stuff. So you need a huge bag to carry around wallets and cards and cash so you can, guess what, go out and buy huge bags ?

You wouldn't read about it.

Waning consumer appetite for pricey clothes and handbags hits shares in luxury brands Burberry and Mulberry

Struggling handbag maker Mulberry plunges 23% after fresh profit warning

Global giant Burberry falls 6% after reporting softer Chinese demand

Shares in luxury brands Burberry and Mulberry fell sharply today amid concerns a slowing global economy would dampen demand for pricey clothing and accessories.

Struggling handbag maker Mulberry plunged 23 per cent after it issued a fresh profit warning due to a shortage of tourist shoppers in the UK over recent months. Bigger player Burberry also saw its stock fall 6 per cent - enough to make it the biggest faller in the FTSE 100 this morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2792062/burberry-mulberry-waning-consumer-appetite-luxury-goods.html

--

How Mulberry lost 75pc of its stock market value in two years

Mulberry chairman admits luxury handbag maker "made some mistakes"

14 Oct 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11162858/How-Mulberry-lost-75pc-of-its-stock-market-value-in-two-years.html

Share investments, just like like savings in the bank according to some. Other sources point to a drop in tourists/tourists spending less. Although in fairness, only recently given back some of its recent gains. Approx 709 on April 17th 2014, vs 675 latest.