House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

When Is A U K Mobile Not A U K Mobile?

Answer, when it's an 07405 number. It's not just 07405, there are others.

I just noticed a charge on my mobile statement for a call to an 07405 number. T-Mobile customer services said it was a Lyca or Lebara number and they're not included in the calls allowance.

T-Mobile credited me for the call, but I'm posting this as a warning to others. There are some 07 numbers, that look like normal mobile numbers that are not included in your monthly allowance so beware.

Answer, when it's an 07405 number. It's not just 07405, there are others.

I just noticed a charge on my mobile statement for a call to an 07405 number. T-Mobile customer services said it was a Lyca or Lebara number and they're not included in the calls allowance.

T-Mobile credited me for the call, but I'm posting this as a warning to others. There are some 07 numbers, that look like normal mobile numbers that are not included in your monthly allowance so beware.

Who were you calling?

Who were you calling?

I don't know and I'm not going to call it again to find out. Probably a contact number for an Ebay or Amazon online trader. I've been buying a few bits and bobs recently.

I don't know and I'm not going to call it again to find out. Probably a contact number for an Ebay or Amazon online trader. I've been buying a few bits and bobs recently.

Yup. Quite a few people have been stung by this, because OFCOM's numbering regulation is totally ineffectual and hopelessly confusing.

While 07403 and 07409 are genuine mobile network numbers (allocated to 3, I think), 07404 is not a mobile network for call charge purposes, and it is this number range that is used by Lycamobile.

Similar issues (but different call charges) are found with 070 numbers and 07744 and 07755 numbers, which look like mobile numbers, but aren't.

Most mobile networks will charge for calls to these numbers, and don't make it at all clear in their T&C.

Is it possible the person you were calling was a Brit on holiday?

Unlikley. 07404/07405 numbers are lycamobile numbers and are not portable to another network.

Yes, the phone might be abroad, but that wouldn't affect the cost to the caller.

Lycamobile offer a very cheap calls from the UK to a variety of other countries - much cheaper than calls via landlines. These are very popular among immigrant communities as they give very cheap calls home, without the hassle of calling cards, call brokers, etc.

The problem as people have found is that Lyca like to skim extra profit by charging a high wholesale rate for incoming calls. As a result, most other phone networks will exclude them from inclusive minutes and charge a punitive per minute rate for calls.

Yup. Quite a few people have been stung by this, because OFCOM's numbering regulation is totally ineffectual and hopelessly confusing.

While 07403 and 07409 are genuine mobile network numbers (allocated to 3, I think), 07404 is not a mobile network for call charge purposes, and it is this number range that is used by Lycamobile.

Similar issues (but different call charges) are found with 070 numbers and 07744 and 07755 numbers, which look like mobile numbers, but aren't.

Most mobile networks will charge for calls to these numbers, and don't make it at all clear in their T&C.

To be fair to T-Mobile/EE, their representative said that they will be implementing a system to warn customers when they dial 07 numbers that are not included in their monthly allowance.

Totally agree......even with BT unless you look up individually each number prefix before you call the number you will not know what the cost per minute will be (that is if you know where to find the information).......it is like picking up a bag of crisps taking it to the counter to pay for it and the shop assistant saying that will be £30 please, yes you have to pay it because you picked it up from the shelf....costs of individual numbers are very unclear and confusing. :ph34r:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/downloads/BT_PhoneTariff_SpecialNos.pdf