House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

...and Yet Another Car Thread...

My car hunting has taken another couple of turns...I now really like the look of the Impreza estate...the huge spoilers on the back of the saloon version's do put me off a bit, and I don't want to look a complete muppet......perhaps the 2.0 rather than the 2.5 WRX (as it doesn't seem to drink as much fuel, and I dread to think of the insurance)... I'm not trying to avoid one that's been ragged... Looking at the dimensions, the estate is actually shorter than my Alfa 156..doesn't make sense!

Has anyone got one out there? Been looking at the Alfa 159's, and they have seem to have come down in value a bit...oh, what to do!...

Subarus seem to be well made, but are not that economical! :huh:

Subarus seem to be well made, but are not that economical! :huh:

I have read that their interiors are "agricultural" a few times too...

From what I've read, the 2.5s have a tendency to leak from the head gaskets because the heads are vertical rather than horizontal. Don't know about the 2.0s.

I have a hawk-eye 2.0 (non-turbo) so can't comment on later versions but mine has been 100% reliable so far (touch wood).

The 159 is a great car too, but on the snow the Impreza is unbeatable.

I have read that their interiors are "agricultural" a few times too...

That was the case in the '90s but these days the interiors are quite ok (not like a Merc or BMW, but certainly as good as any other non premium brand such as Ford or Vauxhall).

Get a bugeye turbo estate.

Cheap to buy, fast, very grippy and a bit primitive.

If you like it, and if it runs very smoothly, and there's an lpg fitter with experience of doing that engine not far from you, go that route, but with flashlube. Done well, payback is in less than 10k miles with that car.

When you've got that out of your system, get an adult's car. :P

Ha! When I replace the current car, it's looking to be a toss up between a Vauxhall Zafira, Citroen C4 Grand Picasso or Ford S-Max. Death by motoring excitement will probably not be a risk.

I was considering a Porsche Cayman, but I could buy three WRXs for the price. Or one new WRX for the price of a five-year-old Porsche.

Ha! When I replace the current car, it's looking to be a toss up between a Vauxhall Zafira, Citroen C4 Grand Picasso or Ford S-Max. Death by motoring excitement will probably not be a risk.

That's the thing, I can't really go for standard Ford's, VWs, etc...I've had a mk1 Vectra, and that must have been the most boring car in the world...My first car was a mk2 Astra, with a faded pink finish...Once you supple the likes of the Alfa, you can never go back to that...although the Monaro looks like a bonkers motor...

I was considering a Porsche Cayman, but I could buy three WRXs for the price. Or one new WRX for the price of a five-year-old Porsche.

I cannot deny my WRX was a pleasure for a while, some memorable trips across Dartmoor for example made in astonishingly fast time with no dead animals or other casualties. Every time I come down the twisting narrow duel-carriageway descent from Chamonix I wish I had it.

But I wouldn't get another, the world is moving on.

It drank fuel, was noisy (though quite a nice noise), had hard suspension, was expensive to insure and attracted lots of aggression/attention from yobs in Peugeot GTIs while driving.

Mitsubishi Evo is better. :P

All the turbo rallyrep all wheel drive cars are expensive to run in fuel, maintenance and insurance. They are astonishingly capable machines but I still think a decent hot hatch is more fun. I'm looking at a Clio 172 or 182 at the moment. Loads of fun yet cheap to buy and run and fairly anonymous which is important when you want to do a bit of joining!

That's the thing, I can't really go for standard Ford's, VWs, etc...I've had a mk1 Vectra, and that must have been the most boring car in the world...My first car was a mk2 Astra, with a faded pink finish...Once you supple the likes of the Alfa, you can never go back to that...although the Monaro looks like a bonkers motor...

Will be a classic! Seem to be a bit pricey for Pin World! :blink:

I cannot deny my WRX was a pleasure for a while, some memorable trips across Dartmoor for example made in astonishingly fast time with no dead animals or other casualties. Every time I come down the twisting narrow duel-carriageway descent from Chamonix I wish I had it.

But I wouldn't get another, the world is moving on.

It drank fuel, was noisy (though quite a nice noise), had hard suspension, was expensive to insure and attracted lots of aggression/attention from yobs in Peugeot GTIs while driving.

Thats what is putting my off the big spoliery type models...I prefer to have something which is a bit understated...I take it the 1.5l models dont really have any guts...

Thats what is putting my off the big spoliery type models...I prefer to have something which is a bit understated...I take it the 1.5l models dont really have any guts...

Even if you strip the spoilers off a bugeye, it's one of the ugliest cars ever built, you can't be anonymous in a wrx, it's just too obvious the way it clings to the ground and stays flat all the time. Plus you'll find yourself driving 50% faster without effort and will attract attention for that reason.

Try a clio sport stripped of all it's show stuff, that might work.

Even if you strip the spoilers off a bugeye, it's one of the ugliest cars ever built, you can't be anonymous in a wrx, it's just too obvious the way it clings to the ground and stays flat all the time. Plus you'll find yourself driving 50% faster without effort and will attract attention for that reason.

Try a clio sport stripped of all it's show stuff, that might work.

I'd rather have an Alfa 147..

subaru-impreza-estate-2-0-wrx-awd-turbo-5dr-19fa978a5788c8ce0508a59d4e83c69b-640x480.jpg

I think it does look a little understated, although the front scoop doesn't massively help...Who would think an estate would be fast... ;)

I'd rather have an Alfa 147..

subaru-impreza-estate-2-0-wrx-awd-turbo-5dr-19fa978a5788c8ce0508a59d4e83c69b-640x480.jpg

I think it does look a little understated, although the front scoop doesn't massively help...Who would think an estate would be fast... ;)

Change the wheels and bonnet and you might not get much attention all the time. But when you go round a corner in front of someone and the thing stays entirely flat, the game will be up for the kind of people who notice.

Times have changed though, the wrx isn't the legend it was, it might be ignored now.

Change the wheels and bonnet and you might not get much attention all the time. But when you go round a corner in front of someone and the thing stays entirely flat, the game will be up for the kind of people who notice.

Times have changed though, the wrx isn't the legend it was, it might be ignored now.

What's are they like off-road? I think all models are four wheel drive..

Is it just the WRX that's 4*4? What's it like off-road?

No idea. It's very very low so I doubt it would get far in rough terrain. I can confirm it has fabulous grip in snow though if you have appropriate tyres on, merely adequate with summer tyres though better than a 2wd of course.

Nearly all subarus are 4wd.

Edit. See the top gear special to find the source of the Nile, the old bugeye did well until it hit a rock near the end.

Fantastic cars, ran a wrx 2006 estate with ppp. Does everything well.

Loved the interior made to be used: chuck your DIY shopping, two bikes, garden crap and you won't worry about damaging the interior, agricultural is good!

Small car, easy to park, yet spacious inside.

Ride not harsh

Go to a track day and the car will make you feel like the best driver in the world, if it rains, even better!

Son's got two of these. An Evo 3 that he's currently racing and another one he's having rebuilt that he's aiming to take up Pikes Peak in 2016.

http://www.ppihc.com/

Don't Evo's have to be serviced, something like every 4,000 miles?

No idea but as they are mostly race cars and not road cars they are constantly being tinkered with.

I really like the Lancer, but they're a bit rich for me...