House Price Crash Forum
BalancedBear

Hs2 Costs To Be Cut

It seems that the best thing that government advisors can come up with to save money on the HS2 project tis to scrap the link between HS2 and HS1. Travellers will have to disembark in Euston and then walk to Kings Cross to get back on a train to continue on to Kent or mainland Europe. Surely if they wanted to save somne money they could just build HS2 to Kings Cross and not bother with rebuilding Euston station.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/hs2-brussels-to-northern-england-link-ditched-by-government-9197199.html

They plan to shave £700 million of a project they plan to spend £50 billion + on. You can bet you life if it ever gets built there will then be moves to build the "missing link" for billions more.

If you are going to do it, you may as well do it properly.

You are thinking that HS1 and HS2 is about the UK. They are not. They are all about London.

Why would London want a high speed train service that technically could bypass it - all roads must lead to London.

The UK is a city state.

It seems that the best thing that government advisors can come up with to save money on the HS2 project tis to scrap the link between HS2 and HS1. Travellers will have to disembark in Euston and then walk to Kings Cross to get back on a train to continue on to Kent or mainland Europe. Surely if they wanted to save somne money they could just build HS2 to Kings Cross and not bother with rebuilding Euston station.

http://www.standard....nt-9197199.html

They plan to shave £700 million of a project they plan to spend £50 billion + on. You can bet you life if it ever gets built there will then be moves to build the "missing link" for billions more.

If you are going to do it, you may as well do it properly.

HS2 will never be built because

1. The cost is astronomical

2. The demand is miniscule

3. The UK is a Third World country with no need for such things

The preparatory design work, however, is adding continuously to our GDP and thus helping maintain the fictional recovery.

On the radio yesterday some bloke (HS2 chair Sir David Higgins?) was being quoted as saying that the project should be built quicker than planned so that northern parts of the UK could get the "benefits" from it quicker. It seemed like a bit of a ruse to trouser the project cash quicker - it sounds now as if they're also concerned that it might be cancelled.

http://

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26604074

HS2 chair Sir David Higgins urges project speed-up

Edited by billybong

The preparatory design work, however, is adding continuously to our GDP and thus helping maintain the fictional recovery.

Like identity card scheme, after spending on it was said to have gone over £250m + possible further compensation payouts to companies signed up to oversee them. Then it was later spun at all the hundreds of millions the Government was saving by not going ahead.

They could at least give this thing a better name, even though i'm against the whole project. High Speed 2, and everything scheme these days seems a shoddy initialism HS2, except where initialisms perfectly suit, as for HPC. Looking up where naming of HS2 came from.. (Sept 2013: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/douglas-oakervee-i-think-the-name-hs2-is-unfortunate-8803430.html)

Oakervee laments the name of HS2, first floated by the Labour government in 2009: "I always think the most unfortunate thing was the name, because that gave a 'rise' to the high-speed [part]. The media also chose to promote the speed side, rather than listen to the more mundane side of it. Yes, you can always do things differently; and yes, you can always do things better. Whether we went the right way is questionable."

Even though that Netherlands-Belgium High Speed rail project seems to have been a ghastly waste of money, and last I heard they'd stopped services, at least they put some creativity into choosing a name before launching the service. Probably similar for other countries with High Speed rail. We've got no imagination left here.

The name "Fyra" represents pride, and is derived from the Dutch word fier and the French word fière, both meaning proud. Fyra is also the Swedish word for four, and is said to represent the four important cities which the new trains were intended to serve — Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp and Brussels.[

If you think that is true you really need to do some travelling

You are thinking that HS1 and HS2 is about the UK. They are not. They are all about London.

Why would London want a high speed train service that technically could bypass it - all roads must lead to London.

The UK is a city state.

Concur with this. It was my impression from the start that HS2 is indeed all about London.

Just very recently some professor was talking about this and said the most likely result of the line will be to increase commuting into London from greater distances.

Which ties in nicely with stratospheric London house prices and "young professionals" having to live further out. No longer need, say, Milton Keynes be the limit of commuting distance.

HS2 makes me think of the remake of the movie "Total Recall" which had a sort of planet state with all of the employment in one place and a kind of elevator that took you from one side of the planet to the other.

On CH4 News the other evening Faisal Islam interviewed Higgins. He asked him how HS2 would benefit places like Swansea.

Higgins somehow managed to say that it would. Talking absolute rubbish. The Swansea to London route will be electrified, but that has nothing to do with HS2.

I wish I could find a link to the video.

On CH4 News the other evening Faisal Islam interviewed Higgins. He asked him how HS2 would benefit places like Swansea.

Higgins somehow managed to say that it would. Talking absolute rubbish. The Swansea to London route will be electrified, but that has nothing to do with HS2.

The UK needs cheaper rail transport, not faster trains.

I could accept HS2 for extra capacity. The UK is too small for high speed transport.

It would be cheaper to gut the current collections of self interest scamsters raking a very good living from the rails and look to automate as much as possible - including driving the trains.

I could accept HS2 for extra capacity. The UK is too small for high speed transport.

It would be cheaper to gut the current collections of self interest scamsters raking a very good living from the rails and look to automate as much as possible - including driving the trains.

Extra capacity is good, especially around London. They should invest money in making bridges and tunnels higher to accommodate double-decker carriages.

Extra capacity is good, especially around London. They should invest money in making bridges and tunnels higher to accommodate double-decker carriages.

Yep.

And get shot of all level crossings.

I think i saw this. Or another similar interview with him.

His answer was along the lines of a station on HS2 will connect to a station on the existing network, which after a dozen changes might connect to swansea.

A bit like saying 'the M25 most certainly benefits glasgow because the M6 joins the M1 and the M1 joins the M25 :lol:

Next up, the benefits of upgrading Dallas fort worth airport for people living in Frankfurt, germany, are real. Honest.

If thats the best argument theyve got...

Yes. I guess japan isnt big either, but most everyone seems to live in coastal mega cities there.

Here, the greenbelt and other planning oddities mean a significant amount of people live in small towns, large villages all over the place, and car transport is the only practical option. (unless you dont mind cycling dozens of miles a day)

I saw it.

I think the guy in the audience on Question Time some months ago hit the nail on the head.

"I can fly for less money than it costs to go by train. I think we probably need to sort that out first".

"Sort that out", in government terms, would probably be to apply additional taxes to domestic flights to make them more expensive rather than make the trains affordable.

Yes. I guess japan isnt big either, but most everyone seems to live in coastal mega cities there.

Here, the greenbelt and other planning oddities mean a significant amount of people live in small towns, large villages all over the place, and car transport is the only practical option. (unless you dont mind cycling dozens of miles a day)

Nope. Japan is a pretty long stretch of a country.

Japan also had a lot to prove after WWII and had a surplus to blow, which it did, with bells on.