House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BalancedBear

Another Example Of Inflated Costs...

The Government is planning on spending around £800 million to install electronic signs, refuge bays and CCTV around Reading to make the M4 into a "smart motorway" to allow the hard shoulder to be used as a 4th lane.

What a waste of money. You should be able to build a serious stretch of new motorway for that!

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/m4-junctions-3-12/

Edited by BalancedBear

So £800 million to be spent to get from traffic jam to traffic jam maybe a bit quicker?

Sounds like jobs/money for the boys.

Couldn't they repair the potholes first. Maybe do some pedestrian pavement repairs.

Edited by billybong

Majority of the cost will be getting electricity and telecoms cabling there, although I would imagine most infrastructure already exists.

Maybe some of it is bridge widening or strengthening and possibly some land acquisition?

I would hope that 800m includes future electrical and staff costs too but I doubt it as they will want the headline figure to be low.

Still, that's a hell of a lot of money to essentially add half a lane onto the m4 for what, 100 miles? (i haven't read the article) the point of schemes like this is to provide cost effective alternatives to actual expansion!

Majority of the cost will be getting electricity and telecoms cabling there, although I would imagine most infrastructure already exists.

Maybe some of it is bridge widening or strengthening and possibly some land acquisition?

I would hope that 800m includes future electrical and staff costs too but I doubt it as they will want the headline figure to be low.

Still, that's a hell of a lot of money to essentially add half a lane onto the m4 for what, 100 miles? (i haven't read the article) the point of schemes like this is to provide cost effective alternatives to actual expansion!

It covers j3 to j12 which is more like 30 or 40 miles max I would have thought.

much of the cost?

Just think of the time you'll save travelling from Newbury to Bracknell. 10 minutes, possibly even 15.

Got to be worth £800m of anybody's money. :D

Yeah. It's about 30 miles.

That said, new motorway construction costs are currently about £40 million per mile, so if this can increase capacity at peak times, it's not too bad a price.

The main thing about smart motorways, is that they apparently have a dramatically lower crash rate, because the traffic sensors automatically detect high risk traffic patterns (such as queuing) and slow up the traffic by prescribing a lower speed limit for a mile or 2 in advance. Apparently, smart motorways save the public purse about about 100k per year per mile, because of reduced police, ambulance, NHS and congestion costs.

I also think that the quoted price of £800 million, also includes maintenance of the system for 30 years, as this is the new way in which public sector infrastructure projects are supposed to be reported (i.e. not just capital cost, but operational costs for the asset life)