House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Economic Exile

Shed Talk

Where I live now has two small sheds. One I use for garden tools and my limited DIY materials.

The other I use as a den. It's been "upgraded" to add value :lol:

No, seriously It's a little sanctuary where I listen to music, write, think or have a snooze after gardening. Would love a little woodburner in it for cooler nights. Anyone done this in their shed.

Do you use your shed for a hobby? a sly puff? or something else.

Here's a picture of mine.

045 (800x600).jpg

post-38348-0-89416500-1395087841_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

My shed is somewhere get in and out of in less than 30 seconds.

Are the police after you again? :blink:

Where I live now has two small sheds. One I use for garden tools and my limited DIY materials.

No, seriously It's a little sanctuary where I listen to music, write, think or have a snooze after gardening. Would love a little woodburner in it for cooler nights. Anyone done this in their shed.

045 (800x600).jpg

won't it get all wiggy and damp?

No dampness of note in the shed at all with no heating. It's a really cheap basic thing and was here when I came two and a half years ago. The couch has been in there all that time and it's never felt damp anytime I've sat on it.

Thanks for all replies. Liked the lap dancing shed clip :lol: What people do in sheds fascinates me! What's so bad about your shed council dweller that you can only spend 30 seconds in it?

A man down the road from me makes beautiful walking canes in his. I've seen loads of stuff on internet about sheds. Pub sheds, band practice sheds, office sheds, spare rooms, dodgy landlord sheds etc.... With financial resources the sky's the limit with sheds! I've also seen loads of sheds made from pallets or scrap wood. A lot of them are beautiful. My DIY skills aren't that great unfortunately :(

Back in the old days of the Internet there was a newsgroup dedicated to shed talk ; uk.rec.sheds, iirc.

I'm a big allotment shed man myself. The smell of sweat, compost and handy oil. Tools hanging up, heavy boots on and the kettle on the woodburner. A man can fart without fear..

There's a brilliant Australian short documentary film called Men and Their Sheds, if you can find it.

I like your shed ;)

I've wanted to create a sort of "sanctuary" room for a while where I can go and "escape" - in particular, meditation.

There are only two of us, we don't have children and so have a two bed house.

The smaller of the two bedrooms is my office as I work from home. So I don't want to sit and "relax" in there.

We do have quite a large shed/outbuilding but it isn't watertight and various wild creatures live in there ;)

045 (800x600).jpg

yes me. i'm there now.

i've been working out of a small but substantial shed-office at the bottom of our garden for the last 18 months: 8 x 12ft, double-glazed, insulated and wired for power, phones and internet.

i have it kitted out with office desk+chair, a couple of computers, dual 28" monitors;

filing cabinet + shelving.

a Morris recliner facing a 42" 3D telly on the wall;

the obligatory beer fridge;

and an electric oil radiator to keep me warm.

as you might guess from the above, i've pretty much maxed-out every sq ft.

yes me. i'm there now.

i've been working out of a small but substantial shed-office at the bottom of our garden for the last 18 months: 8 x 12ft, double-glazed, insulated and wired for power, phones and internet.

i have it kitted out with office desk+chair, a couple of computers, dual 28" monitors;

filing cabinet + shelving.

a Morris recliner facing a 42" 3D telly on the wall;

the obligatory beer fridge;

and an electric oil radiator to keep me warm.

as you might guess from the above, i've pretty much maxed-out every sq ft.

That does sound great. Rather a "home from home", as it were.

What's so bad about your shed council dweller that you can only spend 30 seconds in it?

The shed contains 4 bicycles, plastic table and chairs, lawn mower, garden tools, kitchen cabinat empty boxes etc etc.....not a place to spend time in.

Must make room for a Yamaha mt-07 yet. (yes I did say Yamaha)

I took the roof off my workshop shed (as opposed to my office shed), and replaced it with clear corrugated plastic. Before it was so gloomy, now it is a fantastic place to spend a couple of hours working on something. Although it can get a little too hot in the summer. I quite like the idea of a sofa, now I've seen yours.

Back in the old days of the Internet there was a newsgroup dedicated to shed talk ; uk.rec.sheds, iirc.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uk.rec.sheds

I have a 6x4 shed. It's got a shelf unit in, tools, allotment site property (cos they don't have their own shed) and a bee bait box and some plastic veg boxes. It's mostly full but I can get into the back to get things out.

045 (800x600).jpg

liking the zebra skin rug. it really pulls the shed together. :)

Have you got power to yours?

I suppose you've noticed that shed culture is now burgeoning in the UK, more so since planning regs were relaxed in 2008.

Having said that, I think they've always been a British obsession.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningpicturegalleries/9818799/Famous-people-with-garden-sheds.html?frame=2458884

The great things about mine are that because it's isolated at the end of the garden, I can make as much bloody noise as I like;

and, particularly if the weather is inclement, the wife can't be bothered to venture down to repress me.

Dislike sheds, dislike anything other than plants and lawn in a garden. Notice first thing property developers do when they try and sell a house is demolish the shanty town in the back garden, greenhouses inclusive.

One of the garden centres round here (Farnham) has a big display of sheds - I say sheds, they're more like "kids playhouses" at the lower end, moving up to "offices for the end of the garden". I've also seen ads for "log cabins". Some of these are huge.

In our current times with "trading up" being expensive (to get that extra bedroom) I wonder how many people are actually living in these full time.

But then, the bigger ones are only really going to work if you have a very big garden anyway, they would probably occupy half to two thirds of the average sized terraced garden.

Have a potting shed, with a comfy chair and a radio......I love the smell of sheds, in the summer they are warm and inviting, you can cut out the world when in the shed, nobody would know you were there. ;)

Lots of interesting replies and links thanks. Some great sounding sheds!

Yes my shed has electric.

Would like to insulate it and install a small woodburner.

My house is fairly small but the older I get the more I'm liking smaller places like sheds and camper vans :)

My house is fairly small but the older I get the more I'm liking smaller places like sheds and camper vans :)

I wonder if this is some sort of desire to "simplify" things. I'm not speaking for you, but for me - I've always wanted to own an island, the one described in PD James's "The Lighthouse" would be perfect (without the murderer). Nice high cliff sides, only one way on and off the island, and from most points, you can see the extent of the island in all directions (that island is fictitious but from memory, is vaguely where the Scilly Isles are).

Peace, quiet, predictability, simplicity.

This probably links in with Robinson Crusoe being my favourite novel.

I used to know a comic book guy - no, not that one - who drew the artwork for Judge Dredd. He had a shed in the back of his garden and drew all his stuff there.

There, my usefulness to this thread is now at an end.

Edit:

I probably could post a google maps link to his shed but you lot would just go and stalk :rolleyes:

I wonder if this is some sort of desire to "simplify" things. I'm not speaking for you, but for me - I've always wanted to own an island, the one described in PD James's "The Lighthouse" would be perfect (without the murderer). Nice high cliff sides, only one way on and off the island, and from most points, you can see the extent of the island in all directions (that island is fictitious but from memory, is vaguely where the Scilly Isles are).

Peace, quiet, predictability, simplicity.

This probably links in with Robinson Crusoe being my favourite novel.

For me it is all about simplifying things. Learning about what I need and cutting out the rest. Less space = less cleaning, lower living costs.

I can relate to your desire for an island! I'd love an island in the North West area of Scotland with a little log cabin, a storage shed and a boat that would take me and my camper to the mainland. It's nice to dream :)

I've just been building my third shed this afternoon. This is to take the contents of shed two whilst I demolish it and build a bigger version. All to free up space in shed one which is getting too full to work in and get some stuff out of the garage which is also full.

I can relate to your desire for an island! I'd love an island in the North West area of Scotland with a little log cabin, a storage shed and a boat that would take me and my camper to the mainland. It's nice to dream :)

In my 20s I had a bit of a thing going for the Western Isles. Iona is probably my favourite but would probably be quite an expensive purchase. Inch Kenneth would probably be more affordable, Staffa the most secure...

2djaeq.jpg

Eigg's been on the market a few times over the years but it was bit too Wickermanish for me.

edit: and as borne out by the frost map on the allotment thread it's not as cold up there as some might think