House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

More Of The Hobbies Of Pin!

Is anyone here into ham radio or CB?

On a whim after a good pub session, over 25 years ago I got a ham radio license!I can now talk to people I nether know or like, all round the world! :lol::blink:

I can now talk to people I nether know or like, all round the world! :lol::blink:

The internet is on computers these days

The internet is on computers these days

I appreciate your humour! Funny thing is, a lot more people are getting "ham radio" licences nowadays! And GCHQ are are not listening any more! :blink:

I appreciate your humour! Funny thing is, a lot more people are getting "ham radio" licences nowadays! And GCHQ are are not listening any more! :blink:

They asked me to tell you "That's what you think"

Threads about WW3, the collapse of civilization and planes being stolen for terrorist use and Mr Pin becomes interested in CB/ham radio. Preparing for the worst? :lol:

You cannot be "cut off" unlike a cell-phone! :blink:

Can it be encrypted?

Can it be encrypted?

No"! That would be illegal, and a breach of the license conditions! Obviously sending Morse in Latin is still OK :blink:

Used to car share with a ham radio buff. It was just 60 minutes of utter inanity every day.

But I thought amateur slow scan tv was pretty cool

No"! That would be illegal, and a breach of the license conditions! Obviously sending Morse in Latin is still OK :blink:

Guess you could just affect a foreign accent to throw the authorities off the scent.

Used to car share with a ham radio buff. It was just 60 minutes of utter inanity every day.

But I thought amateur slow scan tv was pretty cool

They call it "amateur" radio, but we are quite clever! :huh:

Guess you could just affect a foreign accent to throw the authorities off the scent.

What in Latin, with a Yorkshire accent? :blink:

No! Foreign, like Welsh or Isle of Man.

GW's a and GI's :blink:

On a whim after a good pub session, over 25 years ago I got a ham radio license!I can now talk to people I nether know or like, all round the world! :lol::blink:

If you come across someone called "Rusty Nail", don't go winding him up.

I suppose you can plan those sexy dogging meets via CB...if you so wish to become someone's bitch for the eve...

My allotment friend is a HAM radio person.

My OH has recently bought a SDR but can't pick anything up. Our friend says he needs a bigger aerial. I suspect this is how it starts.

:)

My OH has recently bought a SDR but can't pick anything up. Our friend says he needs a bigger aerial. I suspect this is how it starts.

:)

Before you know it! It's much easier to get a "foundation" licence now! I know two people recently! :huh:

Before you know it! It's much easier to get a "foundation" licence now! I know two people recently! :huh:

Cool! Just looked at the sample paper. Doesnt look very hard!

I did use a CB when I was a teenager.

Cool! Just looked at the sample paper. Doesnt look very hard!

I did use a CB when I was a teenager.

No it's not hard at all! You just get to learn a bit of operating procedure! CB is a much politer place than it used to be! And the laws will be relaxed a bit this year for CB'ers to have a bit more power! Amateur radio is different in that you need a licence from Ofcom, and your station gets a callsign! And you get a bit more power and different bands to play with! :blink:

No it's not hard at all! You just get to learn a bit of operating procedure! CB is a much politer place than it used to be! And the laws will be relaxed a bit this year for CB'ers to have a bit more power! Amateur radio is different in that you need a licence from Ofcom, and your station gets a callsign! And you get a bit more power and different bands to play with! :blink:

I quite like the idea of getting a call sign!

It looks easy going off the sample papers.

So how do you do the exam? Do you have to find a local club? I have a thing about local clubs. They'll tend to be like the allotment and I have enough annoying old men in my life. :)