House Price Crash Forum

Horoscopes

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Something in them or a load of rubbish?

Confession:

I do read mine.

And I think that there's something in them but it may be down to your date of birth rather than your "sign" as there would be a big difference between being a summer baby and first knowing warmth, light and sunshine or a winter one first knowing cold and dark *

Mainly though I see them as a form of self-help or self-improvement. They will contain advice such as "you may need to listen more this week", "somebody is trying to tell you something", "you will meet several challeneges this week which will make you struggle but you will win through", "you will receive some good news this week" etc.

All of those are good nudges to check that you are listening to people / working hard / thinking / being thoughtful / being optimistic etc. and as the advice is wrapped up within a special weekly / daily message to you personally it has more effect than bland statements such as government advice or corporate messages.

* I've posted before about this. There is the obvious one that September babies are older than most people in their year so get in the sports team and then the national team. I also noticed in the list of birthdays at one big accounts office I worked in that there were very few summer dates of birth listed, about two thirds fell into the November - April six months, and those that were summer birth dates tended to be managers. There's an interesting study there.

HOLA442
HOLA443

You're a libra? Librans can always see both sides of things and are happy to hear other people's opinions.

:)

I'm not a Libran but having looked it up they were born about the autumn equinox so would have had a mixture of light and dark so see both sides of things.

Maybe there's something in this, the worst two pessimists I know were Nov and Jan births. All dark and cold.

HOLA444
HOLA445

:)

I'm not a Libran but having looked it up they were born about the autumn equinox so would have had a mixture of light and dark so see both sides of things.

Maybe there's something in this, the worst two pessimists I know were Nov and Jan births. All dark and cold.

Have you checked you've not got someone's HRT patch stuck to you?

So what about December?

HOLA446

Something in them or a load of rubbish?

Confession:

I do read mine.

So do I. And if they're pertinent or encouraging I believe them - if not I tell myself they're a load of rubbish. :)

One thing, though - I have noticed that quite a few people I know very well are absolutely 'textbook' Virgo or Scorpio or whatever. My sister is a textbook Virgo - terribly tidy and orderly - I am not at all - and my father and a BIL was/is absolutely textbook Taurus. There are others, too.

Also, I worked for many years at our little local library - there were only 4 of us and 3 had birthdays within 2 days - the other's was just 11 days later. All Aquarius. That would seem to say something, though as you say time of year, in this case all being born in the depths of winter, in the days of no central heating, may have something to do with it.

HOLA447
HOLA448

So do I. And if they're pertinent or encouraging I believe them - if not I tell myself they're a load of rubbish. :)

One thing, though - I have noticed that quite a few people I know very well are absolutely 'textbook' Virgo or Scorpio or whatever. My sister is a textbook Virgo - terribly tidy and orderly - I am not at all - and my father and a BIL was/is absolutely textbook Taurus. There are others, too.

Also, I worked for many years at our little local library - there were only 4 of us and 3 had birthdays within 2 days - the other's was just 11 days later. All Aquarius. That would seem to say something, though as you say time of year, in this case all being born in the depths of winter, in the days of no central heating, may have something to do with it.

That library One tops mine Mrs Bear, maybe birth month should be the first thing to look at on a CV.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest eight

I'm a textbook Gemini. Both of me.

HOLA4411

That library One tops mine Mrs Bear, maybe birth month should be the first thing to look at on a CV.

And I've added a poll. Not public and not multi choice (although I can see that it's just about theoretically possible. The poll is by month rather than by birth sign as I can't be arsed to look them up.

Based upon my accounts dept experience I am expecting the majority of people on here to be born in the six months from November to April because most on here are numerate and interested in economics. That's worth a test.

HOLA4412

Happy birthday to the two fish swimming in opposite directions. ;)

Sun sign is only part of the picture.....time,date and place....moon and other planets, ascendant/rising sign.....for anyone interested in people and how they may tick...earth,air, fire,water....who is best suited to who?.....may be all mumbo jumbo.....or does the palm tell all?....what number are you? ;)

HOLA4413

Absolute bolllox

Try telefarsology instead.

Count your posterior hairs, look at that number page in the telephone directory, the name you see gives a symbolic prediction of the rest of your life. Call them and ask them what they think and they will confirm it.

HOLA4414

Absolute bolllox

Try telefarsology instead.

Count your posterior hairs, look at that number page in the telephone directory, the name you see gives a symbolic prediction of the rest of your life. Call them and ask them what they think and they will confirm it.

You have struck "wisdom", what little there is left of i! :(

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I confess, I do read a specific horoscope author fairly regularly. And this flies in the face of my usual earthy and ungodly way of life :D

The only reason I do it is this particular writer seems to post forecasts that are uncannily accurate for me. It's totally ridiculous and has zero basis in reality. But oh well, it's harmless I suppose :unsure:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I confess, I do read a specific horoscope author fairly regularly. And this flies in the face of my usual earthy and ungodly way of life :D

The only reason I do it is this particular writer seems to post forecasts that are uncannily accurate for me. It's totally ridiculous and has zero basis in reality. But oh well, it's harmless I suppose :unsure:

Accurate for you, but is it accurate for the other ~5million people of the same magic sign?

I've read a few and generally on any given week most of the horoscopes can be interpreted in a way that matches my life.

HOLA4424

Accurate for you, but is it accurate for the other ~5million people of the same magic sign?

I've read a few and generally on any given week most of the horoscopes can be interpreted in a way that matches my life.

If they`re properly designed, then that`s what they`re supposed to do :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

The Forer effect (also called the Barnum effect after P. T. Barnum's observation that "we've got something for everyone") is the observation that individuals will give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically for them, but are in fact vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people. This effect can provide a partial explanation for the widespread acceptance of some beliefs and practices, such as astrology, fortune telling, graphology, and some types of personality test.

HOLA4425

Archived