House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dorkins

Mps Introduce New Bill To Regulate Private Rented Sector

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03zp0ht/Ten_Minute_Rule_Bill_Private_Rented_Sector/

Okay it's pretty wet stuff, they want to legislate for letting agents to only be allowed to charge what it actually costs to prepare a contract etc instead of whatever they feel like charging (unmeasurable and unenforceable) and to "educate" landlords about the value of longer tenancies (i.e. longer tenancies would be entirely voluntary) but at least these people are talking about the problems in the private rented sector even if they are a bit clueless about workable solutions.

A step in the right direction. :) Dr. Huppert would get my vote next year if he was my MP.

Did he mention one incident of a Letting Agent charging £500 in application fees? :wacko: It doesn't cost much of an Office Junior's time to fill in some blank fields on a Word Document and run a few black and white sheets off a printer? Less than £10 in costs surely? £50 for a credit check? A basic one with Equifax or whoever only cost a few pounds. :rolleyes:

As Julian Huppert mentioned - Landlords using Letting Agents are already paying for their services. It is illegal for Employment Agencies to charge job seekers so the same rull ought to apply to LAs too.

Seems like once this come in the LAs will have to rethink using those leased presige German signwritten vehicles and make do with a small Nissan instead! :lol:

Seems like once this come in the LAs will have to rethink using those leased presige German signwritten vehicles and make do with a small Nissan instead! :lol:

I'm not an expert on the workings of the House of Commons, but my rudimentary understanding is that since this is not a Government bill it has pretty much zero chance of becoming law. Basically it's an opportunity for debate. This is one reason why it's so disappointing. Since it doesn't really matter, why not be a bit more ambitious and debate bigger changes like a ban on fees for tenants, mandatory 5 year tenancies during which the tenant can give notice and leave, and maybe even a right for tenants/councils to repair neglected private rental properties and bill the landlord?

I have a hunch that Labour will put a ban on letting agent fees for tenants in their 2015 manifesto. It's that rare creature, a policy which has a successful track record in one part of the country (Scotland), will cost the public purse nothing, and should also pick up a few floating voters. It would also fit the rest of Miliband's command-and-control approach to the "cost of living crisis" e.g. energy price caps.

I'm not an expert on the workings of the House of Commons, but my rudimentary understanding is that since this is not a Government bill it has pretty much zero chance of becoming law.

Bugger. :( I really hope that this was making progress now. I remember seeing this issue being discussed on BBC Parliament back in 2013. I don't know how the House of Commons work. It looked pretty official to me when Dr Huppert bowed 3 times and presented the Bill to the guy in the barrister's wig.

PrivateTenants would be a good target group of voters for Labour to court next year.

I don't know how the House of Commons work. It looked pretty official to me when Dr Huppert bowed 3 times and presented the Bill to the guy in the barrister's wig.

PrivateTenants would be a good target group of voters for Labour to court next year.

I may be wrong, but I think the reason nothing much will happen with the bill is that as a non-Government bill it won't be given very much time in the parliamentary schedule and so won't make it through the various readings and committee stages required to actually trigger a vote.

Private tenants are an obvious group for Labour to pitch for. If this bill is anything to go by it looks like the Lib Dems might also have a go, though the under-35s who make up most of the private tenant demographic don't trust them to keep their promises after the tuition fees business. With 27% of Conservative MPs being landlords I'm sure they'll just offer a load of meaningless guff and keep things the way they are. In this entire Parliament they haven't lifted a finger once to help private tenants. That alone speaks volumes.

I'm worried that if Labour feel like they automatically have private tenants in the bag then they won't bother to offer much in terms of policy, just some weak calls for investigations into what could be done and a vague statement of desire for a change in culture in the private rented sector. It would be better to be in a situation where the large parties feel like they have to compete with each other for the private tenant vote, just like Labour and the Conservatives used to compete with each other to build the most houses in the 1950s and 1960s.

A private members bill does stand a chance if it gets government support. I've no idea whether this one stands a chance on that score.

As for it going into anyones manifestos, well, it could quickly become a cross-party consensus, provided noone proposes anything too mad. After all, the tenancy deposit scheme - with its extra red tape, complexity and overhead - seems to be secure.

A private members bill does stand a chance if it gets government support. I've no idea whether this one stands a chance on that score.

As for it going into anyones manifestos, well, it could quickly become a cross-party consensus, provided noone proposes anything too mad. After all, the tenancy deposit scheme - with its extra red tape, complexity and overhead - seems to be secure.

"Too mad" is a pretty value-laden phrase. In some countries having the majority of private tenants with less than 12 months' security of tenure would be considered mad, but I get a strong impression that all three large UK parties are terrified by the prospect of using legislation to increase the length of time before a landlord can ask a tenant to leave their property.

Another 10 minute rule bill, this time from a Conservative MP who wants legislation to require private sector landlords to maintain their properties to the "Decent Homes Standard" that council and LHA properties must already reach:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0530j9q/ten-minute-rule-bill-31012015

Unfortunately this is pure showmanship as there is not enough time left before the election for this to be passed as legislation and the slate is wiped clean at the start of a new Parliament.

The bill is supported by Julian Huppert of the LibDems and Caroline Lucas of the Greens among others.

Edited by Dorkins

Damn, she's not even standing for re-election.

Well, the chance of getting this through before the election may be remote, but getting it onto parliament's agenda is at least somewhat interesting. And the message is a compelling one: why should hardworking folks be denied the standards they're forced to subsidise for others?

I guess a good and at least plausible outcome would be for a decent successor bill to make its way into Tory/Lab/Lib manifestos.

Another 10 minute rule bill, this time from a Conservative MP who wants legislation to require private sector landlords to maintain their properties to the "Decent Homes Standard" that council and LHA properties must already reach:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0530j9q/ten-minute-rule-bill-31012015

Unfortunately this is pure showmanship as there is not enough time left before the election for this to be passed as legislation and the slate is wiped clean at the start of a new Parliament.

The bill is supported by Julian Huppert of the LibDems and Caroline Lucas of the Greens among others.

Isn't here anything that can be done by us the people to at least raise the profile of this issue?

Aside from contacting your MP.

Just something else for them to talk about without action its always the same the only action they MPs take is when it benefits them otherwise they will just talk and seeing most of them are in BTL no chance :(

Edited by papag

These changes will come, but not for a few years in my view. Pro tenant will be anti landlord, and the boomers are the only group courted by the main parties, and they are the landlords. Combined with the corruption of course, if an MP doesn't have property they let themselves, they will have someone in their ear with some ready cash who does.

It will come. I believe the future is bright for tenants, with companies eventually formed to serve this sector who provide quality housing on flexible terms by way of competitive advantage. Imagine the virgin brand applied to let properties, hotel quality long term yet flexible accommodation.

The correction has been held off for so long now they have created another issue for themselves… unsatisfied tenants making up most of the under 40s who will HAVE to be courted in future by any political party that wants to win an election.

I'd expect it to start by attacking letting agents, a popular choice amongst landlords and tenants alike. Hence approaching lettings agent fees to begin with.

As renting becomes the new norm they will have to introduce rent controls etc bad time to be a landlord

if they do expect crap properties to rent from now on. #bringbackcapitalism

All that needs to happen is stop bailing borrowers out. Sorted!

Right. Well since bailouts and artificial restrictions on housing supply aren't going away any time soon, please excuse the rest of us while we look for second best solutions to the real world problems in the housing market.

God I'm reading fairy land crap on this thread. All that needs to happen is stop bailing borrowers out. Sorted!

+0.5

Even free markets require rules underpinning ownership rules, however, but I agree rent controls are rubbish. Better tenancy security would be nice however.

Edited by Si1