House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
underscored

Shoe-String Self Builds

http://www.grannyannexe.com/?gclid=CM6CuvKyvtACFcyRGwodEQYO_w

Anybody got any thoughts on these as a permanent residence?

For someone such as myself... single, no kids, no commitments, minimalist lifestyle, they seem ideal.

I found even living in a 2 bed terrace the house was too big for my needs, I've always said a small, 1 bedroom detached house would be my dream home and these seem the most convenient and economically viable way of achieving that? Even if I do have to pay just as much (or possibly even more) for the land with PP than the actually building would cost.

On 23/11/2016 at 8:00 AM, nome said:

For someone such as myself... single, no kids, no commitments, minimalist lifestyle, they seem ideal.

I found even living in a 2 bed terrace the house was too big for my needs, I've always said a small, 1 bedroom detached house would be my dream home and these seem the most convenient and economically viable way of achieving that? Even if I do have to pay just as much (or possibly even more) for the land with PP than the actually building would cost.

seems a lot of ££ for the size of a 30ft shipping container without land 

On 23/11/2016 at 8:00 AM, nome said:

Interesting...

I'm in a similar situation to you. A 1 bedroomed detached would be great for me. I would need to factor in a boot room, 4 piece bathroom and a garage/shed into the equation.

I quite like those German Huf Haus ssss. One was featured on Grand Designs about a decade ago. I think those are 2+ bedrooms however and maybe not 'shoe string' build.

Huf Haus

PROTOHOME

PROTOHOME is led by Crisis, the national charity for single homelessness, xsite architecture and TILT Workshop. It is in affiliation with Newcastle City Council and forms part of a research project at Durham University by artist Julia Heslop.

PROTOHOME is a self-build housing project which was temporarily sited and open to the public at Upper Steenbergs in the Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne, from May-August 2016. Working alongside an architect and a joiner, a group of individuals who have experienced homelessness developed a timber-frame model of self-build housing which is specifically designed for untrained self-builders. The aim was not to create a full housing model with services, but a ‘shell’ structure that offers a vision of how this model could be developed into working housing in the future.