House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Having A Photographic Memory..

'The mind of a mnemonist' by Alexander Luria:

http://litmed.med.nyu.edu/Annotation?action=view&annid=12247

One day in the 1920’s, a newspaper reporter walked into the laboratory of Russian psychologist A. R. Luria and asked him to test his memory, which he recently had been told was unusual. It was not unusual. It was uniquely and astoundingly retentive. Luria gave him very long strings of numbers, words, nonsense syllables and could not detect any limit to his ability to recall them, generally without mistake, even years later. (Luria studied S., as he identifies him, for thirty years.) [...]

I remember all I need to know! Discard the rest!

Does anyone find that they remember some things far easier than others?

Yep, I tend to remember to start drinking every day - what I forget however is to stop!!

Grief, pain, risk aversion....you name it.

I saw a documentary on this a while back, and one woman said exactly that - life was made very difficult for her because she couldn't forget anything painful or unpleasant.

One young guy could tell you the day of the week for any given date in his past. Not because he had a clever calculation, but because he could remember what he did that day down to a very high level of detail (sun was shining, we had pizza for tea, such and such was on the news etc).

Weird.

I saw a documentary on this a while back, and one woman said exactly that - life was made very difficult for her because she couldn't forget anything painful or unpleasant.

One young guy could tell you the day of the week for any given date in his past. Not because he had a clever calculation, but because he could remember what he did that day down to a very high level of detail (sun was shining, we had pizza for tea, such and such was on the news etc).

Weird.

Any more detail on that documentary, please?

Grief, pain, risk aversion....you name it.

The inability to comfortably deal with strong emotional responses to life. No wonder so many of us are farked up.

My memory is not so good, so I find that if I forget the same piece of information 2 or 3 times I have to memorise by presenting the information in as many ways possible for 1 minute 10 seconds. After which time it`s burned into my memory! Try it, it works...

The human brain is the wonder of the known universe...still a machine though....

They say the brain is a muscle. Of course it isn't but it does very nicely describe its ability to grow according to usage and abusage. Musical people for instance will actually develop certain parts of the brain. And in fact London taxi drivers with 'the knowledge' (I vaguely recall) were supposed to have expanded areas to do with navigation and maps.

EDIT: (my brain is not so bad as I thought)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16086233

Well yes.

I bought a ukulele last year to exercise my brain and fingers after having a stroke, now I play pretty well though I`d never played any instrument before.

...and yes it`s well known about the knowledge.

I believe forgetting is essential to human survival and to mental well being.

I'm still alive and I'm very well thankyou.

Now, what were we talking about?

Yes, there is a mental health condition where people simply remember EVERYTHING they did and when they did it. If you ask them what they had for breakfast on June 28th 1981 they will be able to tell you. People think it is a gift but it is actually a curse as the people are basically tormented with constantly racing minds.

I am very good at being able to accurately record, word for word, conversations that I have and also I can pretty much glance for a moment at a page on a book and have 'read it' - not remember it photographically but simply have taken it pretty much all in. It is not a blessing. A bit of a curse in fact as it is often difficult to slowly read and enjoy a book if that makes any sense.

I think it wcomes from my days working in TV land where I often had to interview people - something I learnt rather than something I was born with.

...anyone hear got one? How does it work? Can you remember everything you've ever seen and perhaps heard?

I do concepts perfectly and can do extremely specific 'what what I doing that day' if I have something to hang it off. Which can mean occasional paralysis from things remembered from several decades ago. Don't do the standard mnemonic stuff..

I generally have a poor memory for what I did or where my keys are, or sometimes even where my house is, but when learning stuff like vocabulary, I can sort of form a picture in my mind of what it looked like on the page, how many words or lines it was, and from there can often remember the details. Sort of out-of-focus photographic. No idea if that's normal or not though.

Do people with these special memories have difficulty with dealing with other humans?

I can imagine forgiveness might be an issue, for example.

It's horrid having a good memory for what people have said.

My memory is shockingly bad compared to how it used to be, but tbh that's a relief in some respects as replaying conversations in your head is really bad for you.

I used to have a particularly good memory for diagrams and things mathematical formula - it certainly helped with exams. It has definitely waned now as I approach middle age.

I wouldn't say it was like being able to see a photo of what I was remembering, but often some little snippet of the thing I was trying to recall would be enough for me to very accurately re-create the the diagram or recall the derivation of a formula.

Also as a kid I do remember memorizing (though perhaps not deliberately) the whole of the Panini Football sticker album. I see similar traits in my 3 year old son who has a massive set of Thomas the tank engine books and is able to name all the characters and repeat almost verbatim every page (without reading which he can't do yet).

I think a lot about memory is to do with triggers and little reminders. I did read some of Tony Buzan's books when I was preparing for exams, and the whole mnemonic approach does seem very powerful I did once play a competitive game of I went to the grocers and bought with someone who had also read Tony Buzan's books an we both go to about 80 items before we go bored.

I will say I did get a lot out of Tony Buzan's books, I used to be a bit rubbish with names, but some of his techniques definitely helped in this regard and actually it really helps in my current sales/sales management role.

I will say I did get a lot out of Tony Buzan's books, I used to be a bit rubbish with names, but some of his techniques definitely helped in this regard and actually it really helps in my current sales/sales management role.

And mind maps here ... Also tony buzan.

...anyone hear got one? How does it work? Can you remember everything you've ever seen and perhaps heard?

Not a good memory but I'm observant My son was going around a museum yesterday doing a quiz on the way. At the end he was grumping because there were 3 questions he hadn't got. He showed them to me and I told him which rooms and in which displays he would find the answers. I couldn't replay the whole tour but to specific questions I could recall where the relevant information could be found. It is all in there somewhere. It made any exams where recalling facts was a significant part a breeze, didn't help with problem solving type questions though.

And mind maps here ... Also tony buzan.

Absolutely a stock tool for revision.

Whilst there is some good software available to help do this too, it isn't always as good as drawing it, it shouldn't be simple cut and paste, they need to be creative.

One of my relatives has an extraordinary memory for dates, particularly dates of birth, that goes far beyond the usual tendency of women to pay more attention than men to such things. Once she has heard the date of someone's birth, even if just fleetingly, she can't forget it. It happens completely passively without any effort on her part. She works in retail and may, for example, see a customer whom she last saw 10 years ago, and know that it's his wife's birthday tomorrow because he happened to mention it once in passing. When she wakes in the morning, she does a quick run though in her head of today's birthdays.

It took her a little while to realise that this wasn't typical behaviour; she thought everyone automatically remembered birthdays. Now, though, she tends not to mention it when she knows it's some vague acquaintance's birthday because it sometimes creeps them out a bit! Other than that, she's pretty normal.

It's horrid having a good memory for what people have said.

My memory is shockingly bad compared to how it used to be, but tbh that's a relief in some respects as replaying conversations in your head is really bad for you.

Problem I have is that I used to have a really good memory.

As a primary school child I could read a book and months later recall the book page by page. On a few pages though there might be a word I couldn't recall and on my visualisation of the page the word I couldn't remember would be indistinct or greyed out.

Anyway, it was a skill I didn't work at and over time the ability diminished. I could still remember lots of stuff, usually facts to bore others with. As I got older memory failed more and more frequently. But because I used to have a good memory I never had to develop strategies to remember things. The end result is I forget lots of stuff, usually important meetings :(, unless I remember to write them in my diary and more importantly remember to open my diary on the day of the meeting.

I read once that one of the reasons why poetry was taught at school was to improve memory. Fascinating thing the brain, the more you use it the better it gets.

It took her a little while to realise that this wasn't typical behaviour; she thought everyone automatically remembered birthdays. Now, though, she tends not to mention it when she knows it's some vague acquaintance's birthday because it sometimes creeps them out a bit! Other than that, she's pretty normal.

Yup.

You have to learn not to abuse your powers.

Accidental stalking almost.

. But because I used to have a good memory I never had to develop strategies to remember things. The end result is I forget lots of stuff, usually important meetings :(, unless I remember to write them in my diary and more importantly remember to open my diary on the day of the meeting.

Wall chart calendar just to the left of me but I have to remember to look at it.