House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

London's Glittering Spires: Nearly 250 High-Rise Developments Planned For The Capital

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/londons-glittering-spires-nearly-250-highrise-developments-planned-for-the-capital-9190321.html

Up until recently Canary Wharf was the only place for skyscrapers in London. The satellite business district soaked up the demands for tall buildings and kept the central parts of the capital (barring a few scattered high-rises) from reaching above the 365ft high dome of St Pauls' Cathedral.

Now it seems that London is going to receive a more cohesive skyline, with a new study produced by the New London Architecture (NLA) thinktank suggesting that at least 236 tall buildings (those over 20 storeys in height) are currently proposed, approved or under construction in the capital.

Of these 236, 33 are between 40 and 49 storeys high and 22 are taller than 50 storeys. 80 per cent of those planned are slated as residential building, with eighteen planned for office developments, thirteen for mixed use and eight as hotels. One tower is to be a university or educational institute.

The study, which draws on building figures from local authorities, identifies Tower Hamlets as “the heart” of the building boom. Twenty-three per cent of the projects are being planned in the east London borough.

Lambeth is the second most popular borough for tall building applications (31 applications or 13 per cent of the total) followed by Greenwich (18 applications, 8 per cent) and Newham (16 applications, 7 per cent).

Perhaps all this height will help all of those intelligent people network better!

I think the UK population just does not have the right culture for tower blocks and harmonious living. In Asia, people are less aggressive, more ashamed of being anti-social. I have not heard music from a tower block/neighbour in over 2 years, except piano practice. No thump thump thump at 2am - which I had all the time in London.

The law also helps here - whereas in the UK, as evidenced by threads elsewhere on HPC, the authorities do not do anything against anti-social behaviour.

So - if they do build all these, I predict a riot....

Isn't the shard still mostly empty, why would we need more vanity projects.

You're not quite getting the 'vanity project' idea are you? :lol:

I think this is really great for London and for the rest of the country. The only way to achieve the required density is with more tall buildings. If you go to somewhere like Crossharbour it actually feels like a modern city and not a run-down dump like so many of London's suburbs.

If you go to somewhere like Crossharbour it actually feels like a modern city and not a run-down dump like so many of London's suburbs.

You obviously haven't been in the Asda there ;)

Oh yes the Isle of Dogs Asda, Takes me back. :lol:

I guess these developments will be targeted at foreign investors.

Look How Skyscrapers Have Predicted Recession Through History

Well it can only bring more people/currency, congestion, concrete, competition for resources for more people......but hey it might help bring the cost of accommodation down. ;)

lol - classic investment/speculator bubble

We had a similar thing in the northern cities a few years ago - but many of those were sold to southern speculators.

Distance is great for mis-selling. Now instead of northern city-London it's London-far east.

....you think they will be sold as holiday home investments..…..and/or to rent out to family and friends?

Ah happy memories! I used to share a flat on IOD (pre canary wharf days) with a guy who exclusively shop-lifted all his fruit and veg from there - his reasoning being "look at the appalling quality - you wouldn't pay anything for that would you!" :rolleyes:

Where's the money coming from to build these stupid trophies? China? They're a busted flush. The Middle East? Never going to happen, the entire region's at war.

Russia? Fugghedaboudit.

Where's the money coming from to build these stupid trophies? China? They're a busted flush. The Middle East? Never going to happen, the entire region's at war.

Russia? Fugghedaboudit.

FLS? For the purposes of construction they would be business loans rather than residential.

I think the UK population just does not have the right culture for tower blocks and harmonious living. In Asia, people are less aggressive, more ashamed of being anti-social. I have not heard music from a tower block/neighbour in over 2 years, except piano practice. No thump thump thump at 2am - which I had all the time in London.

The law also helps here - whereas in the UK, as evidenced by threads elsewhere on HPC, the authorities do not do anything against anti-social behaviour.

So - if they do build all these, I predict a riot....

The russians seem a fairly drunk, rowdy bunch, and yet seem to actually choose to do high rise living. Lots of new private blocks going up there. I guess the alternative is crazy heating bills though.

I think this is really great for London and for the rest of the country. The only way to achieve the required density is with more tall buildings. If you go to somewhere like Crossharbour it actually feels like a modern city and not a run-down dump like so many of London's suburbs.

Im a complete suburbanite and have no desire to ever live above the first floor, but I have to agree with you. 9/10ths of London suburbs look decrepit and dirty. Seems the only way to keep them looking nice is powerful residents associations like Letchworth. It must freak foreign visitors out to see some London suburbs. They probably think theyre in some crime ridden ghetto...little do they know those semis with peeling paint and cars crammed in some crumbling tarmac driveway cost over 500k.