House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

The Chilling Implications Of An Ancient Virus Dug Up In Siberia: Diseases From The Past Could Once Again Ravage Humanity

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2579732/The-chilling-implications-ancient-virus-dug-Siberia-Diseases-past-ravage-humanity.html

Last week, some of my fellow scientists ‘brought back to life’ a virus called Pithovirus sibericum, which had been lying dormant 100ft down in the Siberian permafrost for some 30,000 years.

As a professor of molecular virology, I find it fascinating that a virus could survive for so long.

We freeze viruses in laboratories all the time, as it’s the best way to preserve and store them, but the viruses we study are never more than a few years old — let alone thousands of centuries.

Before anybody starts to panic, the virus found in Siberia is harmless to humans, and is only really a problem if you are an amoeba.

However, as the project’s leader, Professor Jean-Michel Claverie, declared, the reanimation of Pithovirus sibericum raises the disturbing possibility that other, far more dangerous viruses could emerge from the permafrost — the layer of soil that remains frozen for years on end.

Today, some of that layer is starting to melt, and as a result viruses that have been safely frozen for thousands of centuries could emerge.

But another way they could emerge is companies drilling through the permafrost on the hunt for resources such as oil.

Cue Hollywood film?

Although I think we have more urgent problems in Russia at the minute than ice melting.

2338632_130808045212_Picture_155.jpg

Is that any good? The problem with Christopher Nicole is that you can`t have that many pen names and write that many series without quality control going out the window. I read Angel of Doom, it was readable but not very good. I think the worst piece of published fiction I have ever read was The Savage Gorge by Colin Forbes, must have only been published as a tribute to him because it was really bad, and he died soon after submitting it, and I can only imagine he was very ill while writing it?

The Black Death saw improved wages after 1349, so some sort of ancient plague could do wonders for real earnings and stem the decline of the past half-decade.

The Black Death saw improved wages after 1349, so some sort of ancient plague could do wonders for real earnings and stem the decline of the past half-decade.

Correct. I get odd looks sometimes when I say to people the single greatest beneficial event for the masses in the UK was the Black Death.....if they survived.

Is that any good? The problem with Christopher Nicole is that you can`t have that many pen names and write that many series without quality control going out the window. I read Angel of Doom, it was readable but not very good. I think the worst piece of published fiction I have ever read was The Savage Gorge by Colin Forbes, must have only been published as a tribute to him because it was really bad, and he died soon after submitting it, and I can only imagine he was very ill while writing it?

I read it when I was about 15 and enjoyed it, though I'd have preferred a darker/surprise ending as I'm morbid like that!