House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

'huge' Rise In Help For Council Tax Arrears

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26546067

A major debt charity has reported a "huge" increase in the number of people seeking help for council tax arrears.

The charity StepChange said there had been a 77% rise in the number of households needing advice over the last year.

It said one reason was the changes to council tax benefit, introduced as part of the government's welfare reforms in April 2013.

The government said the benefit had been costing taxpayers £4bn a year.

In 2012 StepChange said it helped 25,500 people who had fallen behind with their council tax.

But in 2013 it said that number rose to 45,561.

On average, clients in arrears with council tax were £102 short of the money they needed.

Interesting stats. Still at least house prices are going up and the economy recovering.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26546067

Interesting stats. Still at least house prices are going up and the economy recovering.

Just as with the rise in the use of food banks, and other such highly indicative equally shameful measures of growing financial hardship, the only people who won't be able to (or want to!) 'connect the dots' will be the vast majority of our intellectually and morally challenged MPs - who will continue to talk in meaningless soundbites and empty rhetoric. The words Rome, Fiddle and Burn come to mind.

The answer to our problems is to cut back on our expenses year by year. All you have to do is to be a bit smarter than the rest....

In the long run we`re all dead....well, most of us anyway.

The answer to our problems is to cut back on our expenses year by year. All you have to do is to be a bit smarter than the rest....

In the long run we`re all dead....well, most of us anyway.

Agreed some do live beyond their means, etc.

BUT this really is a simplistic and unhelpful 'solution' to a growing problem - in which I have no doubt many in these various financial difficulties have already made those sorts of cutbacks to no avail.

Just as with the rise in the use of food banks

Don't worry - someone will be along in a minute to explain that the rise in food bank use is purely down to people wanting free food. No doubt the council tax arrears are similar.

BUT this really is a simplistic and unhelpful 'solution' to a growing problem - in which I have no doubt many in these various financial difficulties have already made those sorts of cutbacks to no avail.

Well yes. I was watching a youtube video yesterday about the Warsaw Ghetto. It said that people were standing and begging, next they were sitting and begging. Finally they had to step over bodies.

The thing is who caused the problem? Maybe the government will provide the `solution`.

Well yes. I was watching a youtube video yesterday about the Warsaw Ghetto. It said that people were standing and begging, next they were sitting and begging. Finally they had to step over bodies.

The thing is who caused the problem? Maybe the government will provide the `solution`.

Not getting free council tax is equivalent to life in the Warsaw Ghetto?

The above report is BBC and charity-quango stirring. In fact the localisation of Council Tax, and cutting the 100% central governement benefit rebate has been an excellent innovation. For the FIRST TIME (labour) councils have an incentive to get people off benefit, and local people have an incentive to monitor council tax use. Previously it benefited poor councils to have people on benefits as said council was 100% refunded from central taxation.

"Localised council tax support has also given councils stronger incentives to support local firms, cut fraud, promote local enterprise, get people into work and end the 'something for nothing' culture," said Local Government Minister Brandon Lewis."

+ 1

Edited by dryrot

Not getting free council tax is equivalent to life in the Warsaw Ghetto?

The above report is BBC and charity-quango stirring. In fact the localisation of Council Tax, and cutting the 100% central governement benefit rebate has been an excellent innovation. For the FIRST TIME (labour) councils have an incentive to get people off benefit, and local people have an incentive to monitor council tax use. Previously it benefited poor councils to have people on benefits as said council was 100% refunded from central taxation.

"Localised council tax support has also given councils stronger incentives to support local firms, cut fraud, promote local enterprise, get people into work and end the 'something for nothing' culture," said Local Government Minister Brandon Lewis."

+ 1

Problem with the council tax is that for example, say 100 p.m for every household in Edinburgh, equals, a lot of money. What are the council doing with this vast lump of money? Two other things, the arrears are vastly higher than they will ever admit, and the £102 figure is just B.S, they will put you on an arrears account of many thousands if you have nothing to take, what else can they do?

Problem with the council tax is that for example, say 100 p.m for every household in Edinburgh, equals, a lot of money. What are the council doing with this vast lump of money? Two other things, the arrears are vastly higher than they will ever admit, and the £102 figure is just B.S, they will put you on an arrears account of many thousands if you have nothing to take, what else can they do?

Unless there's been a change I've missed, you can be imprisoned.

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/home/2012/04/research-town-hall-rich-list-2012.html

Town hall rich list

Edinburgh?Didn't they blow millions on a tram system that never got used?

Unless there's been a change I've missed, you can be imprisoned.

Certainly don`t think that is correct, or I would be typing from a cell. It is a civil offence, not criminal, the people imprisoned, Sheridan etc. were inciting others not to pay, that is a different sort of offence I believe.

Certainly don`t think that is correct, or I would be typing from a cell. It is a civil offence, not criminal, the people imprisoned, Sheridan etc. were inciting others not to pay, that is a different sort of offence I believe.

Sheridan didn't pay court fines if I remember correctly.

http://www.taxpayers...-list-2012.html

Town hall rich list

Edinburgh?Didn't they blow millions on a tram system that never got used?

They have one test line running along Princes St. and a load of trams sitting in a depot out near the airport, a shocking waste of money and time IMO. Edinburgh has one of the best bus services in the UK already. Trams are useless in a small city, they are just adding to the danger and congestion of Princes St IMO.

Maybe it's different in Scotland.

But in England it's called "commitment to prison". They have to show you could have paid but chose not to. Rather than you couldn't afford to.

A warrant of commitment will only be issued if the court is satisfied that the failure to pay is the result of wilful refusal or culpable neglect.

The maximum period of imprisonment is three months.

https://www.testvalley.gov.uk/resident/benefitsandcounciltax/counciltax/recoverymethods/commitment-prison/

Sheridan didn't pay court fines if I remember correctly.

You won`t appear in court if you pay enough to keep the sheriff officers off your doorstep, and you don`t have to allow them access to your property in Scotland as far as I understand it (Invite them in once and they can break in the next time though I believe). Total refusal to pay might land you in court, but from my experience, especially in shared flats, it can take them many years to demand payment and threaten court action. The people jailed that I have seen were being very public and drawing attention to themselves, examples had to be made. There is a lot more arrears in Scotland and elsewhere than they will talk about, although writing off arrears built up before the late 90`s was debated and dismissed in the Scottish parliament I believe.

The council tax system doesn`t really work and should be changed IMO.

Maybe it's different in Scotland.

But in England it's called "commitment to prison". They have to show you could have paid but chose not to. Rather than you couldn't afford to.

https://www.testvall...mitment-prison/

The point I am making is that if you pay SOMETHING, and pay it regularly, prison and court won`t come into the picture, which is unfair on those who pay it in full and on time, but considering the criminal investigations that have gone on about the actions of people within Edinburgh council paying in full and on time is not an option I am comfortable with.

1394709050[/url]' post='1102482541']

Just as with the rise in the use of food banks, and other such highly indicative equally shameful measures of growing financial hardship, the only people who won't be able to (or want to!) 'connect the dots' will be the vast majority of our intellectually and morally challenged MPs - who will continue to talk in meaningless soundbites and empty rhetoric. The words Rome, Fiddle and Burn come to mind.

I still can't comprehend that only 600+ elected people are responsible for and have influence over 65,000,000+ people's lives in the UK

I still can't comprehend that only 600+ elected people are responsible for and have influence over 65,000,000+ people's lives in the UK

Yes it's crazy when you look at that sentence. For several years now in general elections I've had no choice but to write on the ballot paper none of the above. It's often said that if you don't vote you can't complain. I think you can also say if you don't vote because you are unhappy with a system you haven't endorsed it so you have the right to complain.

It is really amazing how many people in this country have consciously decided to become feckless and irresponsible since 2008.

I wonder what is causing this?

Don't worry - someone will be along in a minute to explain that the rise in food bank use is purely down to people wanting free food. No doubt the council tax arrears are similar.

Extra CT arrears perhaps from people paying CT for the first time.

Those on benefits now have to contribute to CT.

Yes it's crazy when you look at that sentence. For several years now in general elections I've had no choice but to write on the ballot paper none of the above. It's often said that if you don't vote you can't complain. I think you can also say if you don't vote because you are unhappy with a system you haven't endorsed it so you have the right to complain.

George Carlin had the correct approach:

Surely for most people council tax is not too bad compared to rent or mortgage (and my mortgage is a lot less than it was 5 years ago)? I don't see why I should help people who live in houses I can't afford pay the tax on those houses. There is a solution - downsize.

The council tax system doesn`t really work and should be changed IMO.

I received my council tax bill this morning, it has increased by 2%, about what I was expecting really. Interesting that there is no longer any council tax benefit or financial assistance for those in bands F,G and H. That will hit some people very hard although there are exclusions for the severley physically or mentally impaired

and people on pension credit.

I don't know what the definition or criteria is of someone who is severely impaired but guess it wouldn't cover all people on ESA so they will be hit again if they live in a larger property. Personally I think they should give the support if a person is on the 6 month contribution benefit as that would give them time to recover without penalty. Maybe even for those on income based as it seems a bit harsh for someone who is temporarily unable to work.

What really interested me though was at the back of the booklet (yes I do read it) there is notification that electoral registration is changing so that people who are entitled to vote will have to register individually rather than under the household as is the case now. It makes me wonder if they are perhaps going to try and bring back the poll tax?

I received my council tax bill this morning, it has increased by 2%, about what I was expecting really. Interesting that there is no longer any council tax benefit or financial assistance for those in bands F,G and H. That will hit some people very hard although there are exclusions for the severley physically or mentally impaired

and people on pension credit.

I don't know what the definition or criteria is of someone who is severely impaired but guess it wouldn't cover all people on ESA so they will be hit again if they live in a larger property. Personally I think they should give the support if a person is on the 6 month contribution benefit as that would give them time to recover without penalty. Maybe even for those on income based as it seems a bit harsh for someone who is temporarily unable to work.

What really interested me though was at the back of the booklet (yes I do read it) there is notification that electoral registration is changing so that people who are entitled to vote will have to register individually rather than under the household as is the case now. It makes me wonder if they are perhaps going to try and bring back the poll tax?

They are tightening up in the face of losses IMO, many councils don`t collect council tax very well, it is easy to have six people in a flat and one name claiming single person discount (although they do now use credit reference agencies to check this, but credit/debt free people wouldn`t show up?) or use a past tenants name to avoid having any liability if you move on etc. etc. Of course the way round this is just not to register to vote, what are they going to do? I don`t mind paying some council tax, but I think the levels demanded at the moment are just a scam, no way most individuals or families use facilities equal to the share they pay IMO. It could be collected at source from wages/benefits and things like libraries could be £1.00 to get in and stay as long as you like or whatever (I suppose this would mean libraries just closing though?) but I don`t know how they would collect from those not getting their income from wages/benefits though.