House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Diesel Deflation

I was less furious at the insane price of diesel this morning when I filled up.

the price has been dropping for a couple of months now.

Price of essentials dropping = GOOD for everyone except the greedy troughers.

Price of essentials going up = BAD for people GOOD for the greedy troughers.

OSBORNE.....DO YOU GET IT.

I used to have a 3.0 flat-six subaru average 22 mpg!

now i have a 2.2 Civic diesel, a lovely 55mpg average

My Vectra averages 28mpg, which I suppose isn' too bad for a 250bhp heavyweight estate. Our other car is a Hyudai Gatz 1.1, in comparison that sips petrol and handles like a springy go-kart.

I will be commuting on a Honda NC750 soon, that will produce about 70mpg without crawling along in the 'lorry lane'.

any idea why petrol station put those stand up flags in forcourt of garages. It just seems to get in the way of seeing the price of petrol and cars coming when you try to drive of petrol stations.

bp and esso seem to be the worst offenders.

The huge bills for the knackered DPF filters on diesels bought by people who don't do motorway work offset the savings ;-)

Yes tell me about it. DYOR before buying a diesel.

Or better yet, just don't buy one.

Or just rent one. A new C250CDi AMG Sport estate for only £340 a month (3+23). It is certainly quick enough for me (has a sports mode... 0-60 in 7seconds and 50mpg so far over 1,600miles).

Lots of things to go wrong that might be expensive not my problem if they do.

Edited by longtomsilver2

Hooray! B)

It was £1.349 a litre at Morrisons (Norwich) when I filled up on Monday. The trip computer tells me that I get about 44.3 mpg out of my Almera 2.2d (too lazy to work it out properly :P ).

However, unless the cost diesel falls well below petrol then I will return to petrol engined cars as I don't do the mileage.

Or just rent one. A new C250CDi AMG Sport estate for only £340 a month (3+23).

You'll never afford a house, with fancy toys like that! :lol:

The huge bills for the knackered DPF filters on diesels bought by people who don't do motorway work offset the savings ;-)

As has been mentioned before diesels are there for high mileages. With a diesel I save about £1,700 a year in fuel compared to my previous reasonably efficient petrol car. That pays for a hell of a lot of maintenance.

If I was doing about 10k miles per year I'd go back to a petrol, I prefer the engine response.

I paid £1.25.9 a litre on Thursday for petrol, possibly the lowest for at least two years. My petrol costs (because of business mileage) are far larger than domestic heating. I'm guessing CPI is heading for 1.5% very soon, indeed doing the maths we must have been on the cusp of 1.8% last time because the unrounded figures came in at 1.8% not 1.9%. We do seem to be in a bit of a deflationary spiral at the moment and the commoditoes super cycle is again plunging after a brief pause for Ukraine as China continues its mega over-supply.

When my brother became a car owner, I drummed it into him that he must always buy fuel at the lowest local price. Even if that meant driving a few miles more. It's not just the savings, it's to reduce the turnover of garages that charge more.

I hated that Esso 'price match' radio ad campaign some years ago. Translated to 'We won't lower fuel prices unless we have to'.

You can still get reasonably new cars without DPFs, think up to 2010 you could still get 1.9TDI Fabia's without DPFs (and I'm sure others).

Still even without DPFs diesels are not as good as a small petrol for short trips/town miles.

I just changed my TDI to a Toyota petrol. More REVs = Better! 18mpg difference, but I do <10k.

I just changed my TDI to a Toyota petrol. More REVs = Better! 18mpg difference, but I do <10k.

I have promised myself a petrol V8 or at the very least a V6 should I get my annual mileage sub 10k :)

Or just rent one. A new C250CDi AMG Sport estate for only £340 a month

But if you bought a V6/V8 petrol with your own money to begin with it wouldn't make any difference what the fuel consumption is. £340 worth of free petrol every single month which equates to somewhere around 15,000 miles per year (assuming you're getting high-twenties mpg.) Probably.

And you'll find the only sport mode you need is your right foot. :D

But if you bought a V6/V8 petrol with your own money to begin with it wouldn't make any difference what the fuel consumption is. £340 worth of free petrol every single month which equates to somewhere around 15,000 miles per year (assuming you're getting high-twenties mpg.) Probably.

And you'll find the only sport mode you need is your right foot. :D

After 15 plus years with petrol I just have my first diesel. I only do 6k miles a year :). I fancied a change, it's a 335d x drive and my word it's fast with 313bhp and a shed load more of torque (can't even remember how much) but it's insane. Easy to drive fast and almost the opposite to a v8 in that the power is all there low down so you don't need to rev it. Ok it's still a tractor engine but it sounds like a v8 under load but ok I still preferred my straight 6. I had a 335i before.

Ok it's a pointless car to run in London but it's only 140 a year to tax and returns 40-50mph and does 0-60 in 4.6 secs. Hard to beat IMO especially with a 8 speed ZF gearbox, it's already Taken a cayman S (ok only in a straight line)

What I am trying to say is that high performance diesels for me are a good alternative. Bmw leads this field with ease ATM. Almost have your cake and eat it.