House Price Crash Forum
iLegallyBlonde

Stratford Upon Avon Warwickshire

We have a stunning 3 storey town house packed with Georgian character - since next door sold in March 2003 for £316 we have not even had an offer until we slashed the price to £249.

I feel sick but we may take this offer.

This would all be fine but for the fact that we want to relocate to the Wirral where the price of a complete dump that needs gutting in an average area is £290 and the estate agents expect to achieve asking price ????

We have a stunning 3 storey town house packed with Georgian character - since next door sold in March 2003 for £316 we have not even had an offer until we slashed the price to £249.

This would all be fine but for the fact that we want to relocate to the Wirral where the price of a complete dump that needs gutting in an average area is £290 and the estate agents expect to achieve asking price ????

?

A

G

O

O

W

A

?

(Sorry your speak sounds like it was straight from an estate agent's property description, and people have been known to post ficticiously bearish or bullish statements on here).

How old is the house? (actually Georgian? or new built Georgian style?)

/btp

And how much did YOU pay for it? Even at £250k I bet you still make a profit.

Whats that got to do with it? Its not real money anyway. He still needs enough money to be able to buy another house...

Whats that got to do with it? Its not real money anyway. He still needs enough money to be able to buy another house...

I bet He is a She, and yes boys and girls give he/she a break I found nothing Awoogarish with that post, or we risk becoming know as a site for........ :unsure:

Educate not intimidate is the purpose of this website or so I always perceived that was the reasoning behind it.

Edited by Catch22

I knew Warwick prices were in freefall with all the new builds outside the towncenter but thought Stratford was still good. Where in Stratford exactly?

I knew Warwick prices were in freefall with all the new builds outside the towncenter but thought Stratford was still good. Where in Stratford exactly?

I am a she and we paid £225k for it in 2000 so we've made a loss if it sells for £249 which i'm not convinced at all I'll take but anyway.

We are right in the town centre if you do a rightmove search on cv37 6ub 3 beds the house will come up.

It is so beautiful and would be so perfect for us when we have 20 something kids I'm very very loathed to let it go :(

The thing is there are so many new builds in Stratford that the developers can't even give away and the beautiful character properties with decent room sizes are being overlooked for a wickes flat packed kitchen, it's unbelievable. And breath ......

Hello terrified!

I'm probably being stupid, but I can't see why you'd make a loss if you sold for £249,000 if you bought for £225,000 -- can you explain the point you're trying to make? I guess it's something more subtle than purchase price less sale price.

Thanks.

BE

Hi Terrified,

I recently read a similar situation to yours on a different forum.

What has struck me is that this person's property was also in Stratford upon Avon, previously rented out and she was having problems with getting interest in it.

I don't know anything about the area but I can only assume from reading both people's stories it must be slowing down quite a bit there.

Stratford is fairly nice and predictably expensive.

It's funny really, when you go there, you noticed that there are lots of well-heeled folks walking around who look like they want to be actors and actresses.

I bet the local EAs are the best actors of all though. Shakespeare would be proud.

I am a she and we paid £225k for it in 2000 so we've made a loss if it sells for £249 which i'm not convinced at all I'll take but anyway.

We are right in the town centre if you do a rightmove search on cv37 6ub 3 beds the house will come up.

It is so beautiful and would be so perfect for us when we have 20 something kids I'm very very loathed to let it go :(

The thing is there are so many new builds in Stratford that the developers can't even give away and the beautiful character properties with decent room sizes are being overlooked for a wickes flat packed kitchen, it's unbelievable. And breath ......

Terrified - Where do you park the car or as that been omitted from the details? Spent near on one hour trying to park in Stratford-Upon-Avon during the summer. Not fun.

Terrified - Where do you park the car or as that been omitted from the details? Spent near on one hour trying to park in Stratford-Upon-Avon during the summer. Not fun.

Do not get me started on parking, actually since we've moved out they have introduced residents parking passes to all the local side streets, tourist have to pay to use the marina multi storey parking.

I actually used to incorporate my parking tickets into my monthly budget as the ******* traffic wardens used to watch me 9 months pregnant stop outside my own house (on double yellow lines) to put my two toddlers safely in their front door and would be writing the ticket as they walked up the road.

But there are lots of advantages to town centre living, I just can't think of any right now.

Anyway update, I've agreed to sell for £249k, £75k less than it was valued for in 2003 but if that means £75k less debt around my neck then that's fine by me, fingers crossed.

Do not get me started on parking, actually since we've moved out they have introduced residents parking passes to all the local side streets, tourist have to pay to use the marina multi storey parking.

I actually used to incorporate my parking tickets into my monthly budget as the ******* traffic wardens used to watch me 9 months pregnant stop outside my own house (on double yellow lines) to put my two toddlers safely in their front door and would be writing the ticket as they walked up the road.

But there are lots of advantages to town centre living, I just can't think of any right now.

Anyway update, I've agreed to sell for £249k, £75k less than it was valued for in 2003 but if that means £75k less debt around my neck then that's fine by me, fingers crossed.

A few weeks back I remember seeing a newspaper story (sorry but I can't remember where) that revealed S-u-A as having a 12 times ratio of earnings to house prices. If that is so then it is not surprising that house prices are falling - as they certainly seem to be from your example (a 23% difference between your 2003 valuation and the selling price you achieved). The last LR figures showed a 1.6% YoY drop for Warwickshire between july and October 2005.

However, if this trend continues or even accelerates, which I personally think it will, then you have done the right thing in selling now. IMO your next step should be to rent in the Wirral rather than buy. Wait for a year or more and follow how prices there are moving before buying. It's what I did earlier this year and according to the LR figures for Warwickshire the sort of house I'm looking to buy eventually has fallen in price by at least £6K already - pretty much what I will spend on rent for a whole year.

Plus, remember that the choice for many people is not between renting and buying but between renting a house or renting money (ie a mortgage). At the moment houses are either decling in value or are set to do so (see, for example, the thread about the latest OECD report on house prices on the main forum). Whilst this is happening your sale money could be earning interest or (for the less cautious) be invested in some other way.

I understand why you are 'terrified'. The housing market can be a scary place at the moment. IMO you will be less scared being out of it for a while. But whatever you do good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Thinking of moving to this area soon somewhere rural to semi rural, small village/hamlet commutable to South Birmingham any ideas anybody?

How's the current market doing?

This would all be fine but for the fact that we want to relocate to the Wirral

Dont move there.

Its one of the lowest lying areas of the UK.

In about 5 years you wont be able to buy flood insurance.

Aspect and elevation....Aspect and elevation....Aspect and elevation.....etc

Edited by needle

Thinking of moving to this area soon somewhere rural to semi rural, small village/hamlet commutable to South Birmingham any ideas anybody?

How's the current market doing?

Doesn't anybody live near in these ere parts then?

Are there any quaint choco box nearby villages or similar?

Hello is there anybody in there?

I still have an eye on the market because we do want to return to the area eventually.

I'm finding that the good stuff will sell no matter what, I'm think we will now have to rent for as long as we need a family sized home and will buy a home for our retirement ie 2/3 bed cottage at the bottom of the crash.

Some friends parent's just moved back from SA and bought a new house in the area from Redrow. 10% off, stamp duty paid, free fitted carpets, all legal fees paid.

Spring bounce? It appears not.