House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gf3

Help And Advise On Sorn

I bought a car off EBAY my old car is off the road and tax but I have no insurance on it.

I don't want to serenader the tax because the new car has got a few problems that need sorting out and I am planning on swapping the insurance back over and drive my old car so I can fix my new car at my leisure.

What was the question.?

Anyway I believe that as long as you do not use any car on a public road, and keep it on private land you are not breaking any law by it not being insured.

Me and you both.

Rang DVLA and yes your car must be insured and taxed other wise you get fined and you must SORN the car if it's not insured. This is a real pain. I was hoping to be able to just swap the insurance over and keep both cars taxed. I have just SORN my old car but now it means when I work on my new car I will have to fix it on the day instead of having my old car to fall back on.

Me and you both.

Rang DVLA and yes your car must be insured and taxed other wise you get fined and you must SORN the car if it's not insured. This is a real pain. I was hoping to be able to just swap the insurance over and keep both cars taxed. I have just SORN my old car but now it means when I work on my new car I will have to fix it on the day instead of having my old car to fall back on.

Blimey thats a bind..!

What was the question.?

Anyway I believe that as long as you do not use any car on a public road, and keep it on private land you are not breaking any law by it not being insured.

The regulations changed recently.

All cars MUST be continuously taxed or SORNed, any gap leaves you liable for a fine. You cannot just park the car on private land and allow the tax to lapse.

Similarly, all cars MUST be continuously insured unless SORNed. Any gap leaves you liable for a fine.

Contact your insurance co and see if they can cover both for you on a limited miles or limited time policy? Will obviously depend on the insurer as to how flexible they are. Mainstream likely to be less helpful.

My mother got done for having no insurance as we didn't bother renewing it after she had a mild stroke.

The address on the log book was also wrong, so we didn't receive the initial letters they sent threatening court action etc. etc. The first letter received was for a £300+ fine and the threat of imprisonment for non payment. When I took her to the Magistrates Court (to swear a Statutory Declaration to say that none of the letters had been received) neither the court usher or the Magistrate had any idea what the offence was supposed to have been!

She ended up with a £30 fine IIRC, which we paid just to shut them up.

Oh, and I'm sure the only reason they became aware of the 'offence' was because some chav pulled a windscreen wiper off the car, which was reported to the police...

Its all about trying to stop people keeping cars that they say are parked off road and not used etc. when in fact they are being driven around. The visible tax disk means some busy body is going to report you for not having one but no insurance can't be quickly found out by the average Mrs Bucket.

Unfortunately as usual when a Gov department try to crack down on something the biggest impact is on those just trying to get on with life! Those who drive without insurance continue to do so because they just don't give a shit.

Its all about trying to stop people keeping cars that they say are parked off road and not used etc. when in fact they are being driven around. The visible tax disk means some busy body is going to report you for not having one but no insurance can't be quickly found out by the average Mrs Bucket.

Unfortunately as usual when a Gov department try to crack down on something the biggest impact is on those just trying to get on with life! Those who drive without insurance continue to do so because they just don't give a shit.

And the disc is going anyway. I really fail to see the point in SORN, as oposed to simply not having any tax. Wow, they've said it's not in use and are driving it anyway, how is that any different from not bothering to tax it and driving it anyway? Just what is SORN supposed to achieve?

And the disc is going anyway. I really fail to see the point in SORN, as oposed to simply not having any tax. Wow, they've said it's not in use and are driving it anyway, how is that any different from not bothering to tax it and driving it anyway? Just what is SORN supposed to achieve?

It keeps the law-abiding under State surveillance.

It keeps the law-abiding under State surveillance.

Yes, you are declaring you are doing nothing wrong, and here I am at this address, doing nothing wrong! :blink:

Yes, you are declaring you are doing nothing wrong, and here I am at this address, doing nothing wrong! :blink:

And just you keep it that way Mr Pin.

You can be assured that if you were to drive that car you would be filmed about 30 times for every mile you drive and picked up by ANPR cameras should you dare to use a motorway or major city road or use a car park.

All for your safety you understand.

If you stick the car on the back of a truck and move it to somewhere else they expect you to notify them of that? Wouldn't be surprised.

Me and you both.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. My old car was sat outside my house for well over two months taxed but not insured before they even got round to sending me a threatening letter.

Edit: and that was actually on the public road (albeit the quiet side road next to our house, not causing anybody any bother).

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. My old car was sat outside my house for well over two months taxed but not insured before they even got round to sending me a threatening letter.

Edit: and that was actually on the public road (albeit the quiet side road next to our house, not causing anybody any bother).

That's good to know. So they don't just send the fine to your door.