House Price Crash Forum

Cameron Prepared To Hurt City To Punish Putin

HOLA441

EU tightens rules to fight money laundering

The European Parliament Tuesday passed a draft law under which ultimate owners of companies and trusts would have to be listed in public registers in EU countries.

This section appears to be aimed at one of our recent former prime ministers with dubious trusts/charities.

"The new rules also apply to "politically-exposed persons," who are people at a higher than usual risk of corruption due to the political positions they hold.

These people are those who are or have been "entrusted by the EU member state with prominent public functions," such as heads of state, members of government, supreme court judges, and members of parliaments"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

This section appears to be aimed at one of our recent former prime ministers with dubious trusts/charities.

"The new rules also apply to "politically-exposed persons," who are people at a higher than usual risk of corruption due to the political positions they hold.

These people are those who are or have been "entrusted by the EU member state with prominent public functions," such as heads of state, members of government, supreme court judges, and members of parliaments"

I rather suspect that these rules, which are relatively non-controversial in other member states, reflect the fact that the Roman Law systems of the Continent, do not rely on the English system of equity and trusts.

HOLA443

It is a complex situation whichever way you cut it, I'm not pretending otherwise.

But Russia is still invading another country. Fact. If the Crimean people (and by that read 'Russian-speaking sllight majority of the country) want to join Russia they can vote for it. But to invade another country and then organise a 'vote' at short notice under that foreign military rule and pressure is no choice at all. The principle of might is right is fundamentally fascistic and a bad sign for the times to come.

If the Crimean people want to join Russia why should we in the west intervene? Is the election going to be any more rigged than some of the elections we (US/UK/EU have supported?

HOLA444

If the Crimean people want to join Russia why should we in the west intervene? Is the election going to be any more rigged than some of the elections we (US/UK/EU have supported?

I agree that we should not (and anyway don't have the capacity to) intervene militarily. But I don't agree with the moral equivalence being shown by some here and elsewhere. Russia is invading another country and if I was Poland or Finland with their histories and Russian speaking minorities I would be very worried indeed.

HOLA445

I agree that we should not (and anyway don't have the capacity to) intervene militarily. But I don't agree with the moral equivalence being shown by some here and elsewhere. Russia is invading another country and if I was Poland or Finland with their histories and Russian speaking minorities I would be very worried indeed.

The Poles already are worried. That's why the President is rolling up to an air base to welcome the Yanks with open arms. OK, in that case it's only 10 of them, though with shiny aeroplanes, but there'll be 300 in the country as a whole, and I expect the Poles see that as a satisfactory start.

HOLA446

Kiev says Russia is invading. Russia says not. Crimea appears to want Russia.

Bear in mind that Russian troops are in Crimea under a longstanding agreement. To say - as Kiev and its spin-doctors have done - that their presence there is an invasion is rather like putting forward the presence of US troops in Fylingdales as evidence of a US invasion of the UK.

HOLA447

Finland with their histories and Russian speaking minorities I would be very worried indeed.

Finland should be worried, as they sided with and cooperated with the Nazis in WWII (until it was obvious that Germany had lost - at which point they switched sides to Russia).

HOLA448

The Poles already are worried. That's why the President is rolling up to an air base to welcome the Yanks with open arms. OK, in that case it's only 10 of them, though with shiny aeroplanes, but there'll be 300 in the country as a whole, and I expect the Poles see that as a satisfactory start.

Two can play at that game:

Russian Neighbor Belarus Asks To Host Another 15 Russian Fighter Jets In Response To NATO Escalation

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-12/russian-neighbor-belarus-asks-host-another-15-russian-fighter-jets-response-nato-esc

HOLA449

Nothing new. America and the West have been using this power for decades - most recently Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya etc etc.

Of course for nasty, evil Putin to do it a bit is totally unacceptable and he must be punished. lol. Still, at least Putin won't kill 200,000 Ukrainian civilians during a bombing campaign designed to free them from tyranny. :lol:

In what way is that of the slightest relevance. Yes your honor, I killed seven prostitutes but so did the Yorkshire ripper, so that's ok isn't it?

Also, whilst Cameron is a deeply unpleasant individual and Britain is only just barely a democracy, you simply can't compare this to the entirely undemocratic Russian kleptocracy. How many journalists has this government murdered?

What we are witnessing is just a turf war amongst gangsters, nothing else. Has nothing to do with Russian security, or the encroachment of NATO or Russian public opinion.

Edited by (Blizzard)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

There's actually nothing in that story at all.

Good headline, but:

Britain, the EU and the US are drawing up a list of Russian officials who will see their off-shore bank accounts frozen and banned from travelling to the West

So, no oligarchs, property owners, bandits etc. Phew, I thought for a moment he might be serious.

HOLA4412

you simply can't compare this to the entirely undemocratic Russian kleptocracy.

Putin got more votes than Cameron. Easily. He was democratically elected whatever you choose to believe. Even the USA/West grudgingly admitted this fact after monitoring the elections.

People need to remember that Russia is not Moscow and St. Petersburg. The fact that the populations of these cities may not vote for Putin is neither here nor there. The majority of the people in Russia did vote for him. Which is more than can be said for Cameron (and other Western leaders).

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

If I was in charge of a country with significant minorities in clear geographic areas, I'd let them go their own way.

More important to have a country where people feel solidarity rather than friction.

The difficulty comes when the geography isn't clear ie Indian partition.

What's the case here?

Are peoples all intermingled or is it clear?

Anyway, overriding principle is that people should have the ability to self-determine their identities and countries.

I can see how Russian speakers, Ukrainian speakers, Tatars and others in Crimea (and East Ukraine) may want different things.

Best thing for Ukraine to be is a smaller stub with a solid / common purpose that removes corruption and starts being a wealthy, less corrupt neighbour to Russia and Belarus.

The way to be less corrupt is have only Land Value Tax as the basis for taxation.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Putin got more votes than Cameron. Easily. He was democratically elected whatever you choose to believe. Even the USA/West grudgingly admitted this fact after monitoring the elections.

People need to remember that Russia is not Moscow and St. Petersburg. The fact that the populations of these cities may not vote for Putin is neither here nor there. The majority of the people in Russia did vote for him. Which is more than can be said for Cameron (and other Western leaders).

That is just hilarious! Democratic you say!

I believe Saddam had a 100% of the vote in one election, so he must have been the most democratic of the lot!

Edited by (Blizzard)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

That is just hilarious! Democratic you say!

I believe Saddam had a 100% of the vote in one election, so he must have been the most democratic of the lot!

Well it was Democratic enough for the US/West to admit that Putin did actually get the majority of the vote. Probably more democractic than the US elections as well, with the now famous Florida 'missing voters' and other 'accidental' issues.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Going by his own principles, then, as shown in The Crimea, is Putin going to withdraw from his Moscow palace and go and live somewhere he is 'wanted' like the Siberian steppe?

No, of course not. He operates by the logic of power which is get what you want however you can get it, whether it is by controlling the media, suppressing dissent, using military force and everything in between.

Of course 'stability' and appealing to national pride gets him some votes but it is not a free country. Nowhere near.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Going by his own principles, then, as shown in The Crimea, is Putin going to withdraw from his Moscow palace and go and live somewhere he is 'wanted' like the Siberian steppe?

No, of course not. He operates by the logic of power which is get what you want however you can get it, whether it is by controlling the media, suppressing dissent, using military force and everything in between.

Of course 'stability' and appealing to national pride gets him some votes but it is not a free country. Nowhere near.

I've never said I disagree with this, only that the Behaviour of the West is laughable.

I also don't believe the USA or the West in general is any more free than Russia. The illusion may be better but the reality is different.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I've never said I disagree with this, only that the Behaviour of the West is laughable.

I also don't believe the USA or the West in general is any more free than Russia. The illusion may be better but the reality is different.

Fair enough, I've read enough Chomsky to have a theoretical sympathy with your opinion. But in practice I also grew up with an instinctive hatred of the jackboot. And that's where I'm coming from here.