House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1929crash

Cameron Prepared To Hurt City To Punish Putin

Is this just bluff? He wasn't prepared to hurt the City to help ordinary British people.

http://www.telegraph...id-Cameron.html

Very delicate matters. I'd say just a bluff, unless we're going along with coordinated European/NATO position.

Got to be cautious about overly making Russia to be in the total wrong, even when there is a lot of concern about their intentions. Russia has made some valid points in the Ukraine crisis, it seems to me, but perhaps not justifying their overall actions.

We've miscalculated badly before... USSR threatened us over our Suez intervention, other countries totally against our position, and serious power from many a side forcing us to withdraw. 1956 Khrushchev/Bulganin threatening (non-nuclear-tipped) rocket attacks on London and Paris, even if there were doubts over their ICBM numbers/capabilities at the time.

Swedish ambassador to the Court of St. James, re GB's Suez intervention: "I don't think there is any part of the world where the sympathies for England are greater than in Scandinavia, but Scandinavian opinion has never been more shocked by a British government's action... than by the Suez intervention.."

Edited by Venger

Having just heard the story (previously seen as a conspiracy theory) of how the West behaved over Lockerbie, I think we can fairly point the finger at yet another case of the same. Russia's actions may be dubious, but the West's hypocrisy looks a whole lot worse. It is after all Russia that is supporting people elected by the Ukrainians themselves, and the West supporting a mob with no such democratic mandate.

We have to be careful too about supporting an armed invasion of a sovereign European state. And don't forget that this 'elected' government shot dead protesters and then chose to run to Russia rather than face their own Parliament which itself voted overwhelmingly to replace them by democratic Parliamentary vote.

We have to be careful too about supporting an armed invasion of a sovereign European state. And don't forget that this 'elected' government shot dead protesters and then chose to run to Russia rather than face their own Parliament which itself voted overwhelmingly to replace them by democratic Parliamentary vote.

there can only be invasion if the people decide they dont want the forces to come.

government is the criminal, as usual, in this case....course, we cant cut off the Ukraine as they owe US...

god our banks are stupid. hurting the city would do us all a favour....or is moral hazard now a way of life for us all?

Who did the Crimean regional government shoot dead?

As for what happened in Kiev, do you have reason to suppose anyone who died there (and how much evidence do we have for that?) was behaving as peacefully as, say, Ian Tomlinson?

Edited by porca misèria

Cameron can only learn from Putin due to his strong stance on Ukraine.

Putin's approval rating climbs amid Crimea crisis

President Vladimir Putin has seen his approval rating climb in Russia due to his strong stance on military intervention in Ukraine, several opinion polls show. "Putin's level of popularity which is approaching that of May 2012, the date of his re-election for a third presidential term, could soar further since the Kremlin's offensive is continuing," said Alexei Levinson, a senior researcher at Levada. "Putin successfully exploits the habits of paternalism. Russians have confidence in his interpretation of events in Russia and abroad." The images of violence and chaos in Ukraine featured on Russian state media "make people value Putin's stability." Putin, now 61, has almost never had an approval rating of less than 60 percent since he became president for the first time in 2000.

Step in the right direction.

It says freeze offshore bank accounts, not assets - but at least "rule of law" isn't being hand-waved away, as if it were an optional extra for the UK government.

Next step is asset freezes and revocation of non-dom status for Putin's cronies.

Is this just bluff? He wasn't prepared to hurt the City to help ordinary British people.

Come on this is Cameron. You all know in your hearts that Cameron is so full of bull that he almost doesn't exist. This is an article from the next day in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10690339/Ukraine-crisis-Putin-and-oligarchs-to-escape-sanctions.html

Oh please stop hurting the city Cameron!

What's all this east west crap?

Whatever I think about Cameron, Obama, bush, mr tumble, or the Yorkshire ******ing ripper, it's all just irrelevant.

The Ukraine crisis is just gangsters fighting for their patch, dressed up as international politics to look respectable. Putins made man got the boot, so now he's stamping his foot.

We should have seized the assets of the oligarchs 20 years ago.

Edited by (Blizzard)

Cameron will do whatever he's told by the US.

"Yessir. No sir. Three bags full sir."

ab732f0f7126b6926821c7d4be4a9a6b.jpg

As much as that made me laugh in my experience Americans are practical people who tend not to tolerate bull. They'll know that Cameron is a bag of air and I imagine they're very pissed off.

Cameron wanting to appear he has some balls. Nothing more and I'm sure the City won't be hurt in the slightest.

Absolutely. Cameron (who doesn't have an independent thought in his empty head) will do exactly as he is told by his plutocrat masters. The idea of any UK government, let alone one that's made up of millionaire Old Etonians, doing anything that might harm the City is completely laughable as it simply wouldn't be allowed to take this kind of action.

People tell me that I'm slightly odd...

itsarandomworld

My intention of posting this topic was not to generate another Ukraine thread. In politics language signals intentions and priorities. Cameron would never have said anything remotely along the lines of 'I'm prepared to hurt the City to maintain the living standards of the ordinary working family,' or 'I'm prepared to hurt the City to ensure that we halt the malinvestment in our economy and the decay of our manufacturing industry,' or even 'I'm prepared to clobber the bankers if that's what it takes to stop British people going hungry.'

As much as that made me laugh in my experience Americans are practical people who tend not to tolerate bull. They'll know that Cameron is a bag of air and I imagine they're very pissed off.

DC looks to be on a sticky wicket. Does he want to be Obama's bitch or Putin's bitch?

What did Clegg mean about Putin's KGB mentality? Probably best for ministers avoid sushi if they introduce sanctions against Russian oligarchs.

The City of London would dump Cameron and install their man Boris Johnson as British PM.

In any event Cameron's simply giving the 'individuals' concerned ( and their money managers) a heads up to move their stash somewhere else asap for a couple of weeks until it's blown over.

Downing Street said that any sanctions would be aimed at individuals but sources said that this would be unlikely to mean President Putin could be targeted.
Edited by R K

DC looks to be on a sticky wicket. Does he want to be Obama's bitch or Putin's bitch?

What did Clegg mean about Putin's KGB mentality? Probably best for ministers avoid sushi if they introduce sanctions against Russian oligarchs.

In the case of Clegg, I'm sure many disillusioned Lib Dem members or voters would be willing to handle the polonium-210 personally. :ph34r:

Edited by 1929crash

Who did the Crimean regional government shoot dead?

As for what happened in Kiev, do you have reason to suppose anyone who died there (and how much evidence do we have for that?) was behaving as peacefully as, say, Ian Tomlinson?

It is a complex situation whichever way you cut it, I'm not pretending otherwise.

But Russia is still invading another country. Fact. If the Crimean people (and by that read 'Russian-speaking sllight majority of the country) want to join Russia they can vote for it. But to invade another country and then organise a 'vote' at short notice under that foreign military rule and pressure is no choice at all. The principle of might is right is fundamentally fascistic and a bad sign for the times to come.

The principle of might is right is fundamentally fascistic and a bad sign for the times to come.

Nothing new. America and the West have been using this power for decades - most recently Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya etc etc.

Of course for nasty, evil Putin to do it a bit is totally unacceptable and he must be punished. lol. Still, at least Putin won't kill 200,000 Ukrainian civilians during a bombing campaign designed to free them from tyranny. :lol:

Edited by Errol

My intention of posting this topic was not to generate another Ukraine thread. In politics language signals intentions and priorities. Cameron would never have said anything remotely along the lines of 'I'm prepared to hurt the City to maintain the living standards of the ordinary working family,' or 'I'm prepared to hurt the City to ensure that we halt the malinvestment in our economy and the decay of our manufacturing industry,' or even 'I'm prepared to clobber the bankers if that's what it takes to stop British people going hungry.'

Cameron vows to protect City from EU attacks - FT.com

PM: I'll wield EU veto again on Hollande City tax plan - The Sun

Edited by thecrashingisles